Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sports 6 mileage?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

rac3r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Sports 6 mileage? Reply with quote

Seen a few old Sport 6's for around 1500ish like SRAD's etc. But the mileage on them is around 29-30k. Is that high? What kind of mileage should I stay away from?

Thanks all once again Thumbs Up

Chequered Flag

TheFoxyDuke
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:03 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily think that kind of mileage would put me off but it would depend on things that are difficult to guess by looking at an advert - maintenance, servicing, cleaning, has it been looked after or ragged down the road.

There's talk of CB's going on for 200,000 miles with regular oil changes. Guess you could find out a lot by having a good look overt and firing it up. If it barks like a dog then it probably is a dog.

Saying that, I'd be expecting shocks & bearings to be pretty knackered by then and brakes could probably do with a good refurbish. Not massive jobs though but could cost a few pound more.

Mmmm....perhaps I am talking myself out of it now.
Confused
FoxyD

Ben.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends if the bearings had been done, and if the forks/ shock had been completley rebuilt, as long as the engine has been serviced on time they will last 100k miles, but be prepared to do all the bearings etc. if you want it to feel like it did when it came out the showroom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:46 - 16 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the cam chain tensioner is OK and the cam chain doesn't rattle 30k should be OK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold my old K1 on 32k. Did the valves at 28k - not one needed adjustment. Didn't burn any oil.

Look for condition over mileage.

mad4it028
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

my zx6r is about to hit 30k full services still rides well as fast as it ever was and handles great i'll get another 20k outta it yet

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:58 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said you want to look at the general condition more than the actual mileage. If it's low miles, but been owned by an ape then it'll be in terrible condition.

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 05 zx6 is just hitting 35 with no probs

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my ZZR600 on at just short of 40k miles, the engine felt like it had another 40k in it no problems, never burned oil, started first time with a little notch of choke. Given the fun I've had with the last 2 big bikes, I sort of miss the reliability of that old thing now Smile

It's more down to who owns it and how well it's been looked after.

I'll chime in on the shock comment though, they will generally be pretty worn out by that point.

SlimRick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ZZR has 58k on it, and still pulls strong - no knocking, smoke or losing oil.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

30K over 10 years is hardly going to tax a bike. Works out at under 60 miles a week....

In fact a bike with higher milage in many ways could be a better deal, as there is less chance of it spending months on end doing nothing other than rusting away internally, then spending a few sunny weekends being blasted to pieces. Only to be put away after a quick wash to keep it clean on the outside, while it continues its self destruction internally.

swiftb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

27k on my zx6r when I bought it. However, it was immaculate and had been extremely well maintained. Full service history, countless receipts showing history of all work (suspension overhauls, brake overhauls, valve clearances etc) so tbh the mileage wasn't even a factor. As others have said, An 8-9 year old bike which has had regular use AND regular maintenance, serviced at correct intervals etc. is going to be as good, if not better, than an 8-9yr old bike that has stood for 8 out of every 12 months of its life.
Thumbs Up ,

Coxyzxr
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:32 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

54,000 on my zxr and it's hard a hard life.
Still no signs of giving up the ghost. Engine's sweet as a nut and suprised how slick the gearbox feels after all this time. (For a kawasaki that is).

Age and wear must of worn down the dog corners nicely so it drops in smootly now Laughing

Service history, regular services are the main aspect.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at previous owners too. 30k with 2 previous owners will probably suggest that the bike gets used and is cared for; full service history will back that up, but if you see a wodge of receipts, then that's just as good. 600's tend to have a high turnover rate since most 18-22 year olds use it as a stop gap and as a result only keep them for 1-2 years max. So i'd be slightly more concerned if it had 6 owners in the span of 4-5 years with that sort of mileage. I know some people that flog their bikes on when it reaches a service interval!

But whichever way you look at it, if there isn't a recent service history, i'd be inclined to give the bike an oil change, change the plugs, change the brake pads for good measure and see how it runs. Other factors to bear in mind, particularly on 600s are

1) Suspension - at 30k miles, chances are they are well and truly shagged! Replenish the front and overhaul the rear
2) Change the steering head and wheel bearings - sooner or later, they'll become a cropper of it hasn't been already.

That said, look at the seller. Fair enough, i might sound convincing online, but the lady that purchased my ZX6R had no qualms or hesitation in paying near to my full asking price because I had shown her the work I did. More importantly; i offered her a test ride. That said, the bike was sold within 10 mins of her getting off!

So, consider everything that's been said and you'll find yourself a good bargain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 16:41 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
As long as the cam chain tensioner is OK and the cam chain doesn't rattle 30k should be OK.

If the bike still has the auto tensioner its still gonna rattle a little bit.

If its got a manual (recommended mod) it will be fin.

It has to have a major service at about 25k (valves checked and all that) so make sure they have had it done and the bike will last no problem.

rac3r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! very helpful as usual Thumbs Up

How would I be able to check the suspension without a test ride? I'm going to try and buy from a dealer if possible because I never have much luck with private sales.

Chequered Flag

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 17 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check if the damping is gone on the back by lifting the back end off the ground so that the rear wheel doesn't support any weight. Rest it back down and it should go back to it's position with the static sag catered for. Bounce the rear vigorously a good half dozen times; you'll hear the suspension sqeak. If the damping is still good, the upward rebound stroke should be dampened and not return instantly. If it's like a pogo spring, it's pretty much shagged. Similarly, after you've bounced the rear end (taking a specific reference point into consideration) and found that it doesn't return to its starting postion, then it's shagged. Rule of tumb, depending on how hard it's used, most bikes by 30k miles WILL need its rear shock done. Overhaul a used one off ebay for about 80-100 quid depending on what needs replacing (MCT or Ktech will probably service it; ABE i believe also do it), or alternatively, HAGON do a very good quality budget replacement - i had one on the ZX6R before i sold it and it was like night and day!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1