Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Push bike help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Push bike help Reply with quote

Hi guys, urm i've taken up cycling to work and its working a treat!
I got a puncture recently, and had the tyre and inner tube swapped, Problem is the tyre i had put on the bike has now lost all of its nobbles in 4 places... (skid related i think.) So i think it was too soft for tarmac use.

The question i need to ask is what set of tyres should i put on for tarmac that will last with hard use?

Thanks guys.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 17:38 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMR Motos are great, as are Maxxis Hookworms.
They're both fairly expensive, though. I can guarantee you that they'll last for eons with just general riding around, though. They're both rubbish on any surface other than street-flavoured ones. Be warned.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
DMR Motos are great, as are Maxxis Hookworms.
They're both fairly expensive, though. I can guarantee you that they'll last for eons with just general riding around, though. They're both rubbish on any surface other than street-flavoured ones. Be warned.

Street is all it will be used for, i'm going to buy a little downhiller for my dirty fun! Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 17:47 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Then I recommend those two wholeheartedly.

I happen to have a fairly decent downhill bike for sale, if you're interested. PM for info, if you want.

Dischord
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the DMR motos.

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dischord wrote:
Another vote for the DMR motos.

Moto dirts or RTs?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:56 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've got the RTs, but I'd have to go check. They're both fine for it, though: the dirts have got slightly deeper tread. I think that's the only difference.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
I think I've got the RTs, but I'd have to go check. They're both fine for it, though: the dirts have got slightly deeper tread. I think that's the only difference.

I'll try the R/Ts if i cant get any hook worms, i've glanced ebay an theres only a used set on of hookworms but they seem a better tyre imo, i'll have a good google search then go to my local bike shop and ask for either R/T's or Hookworms.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:26 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here first - they may well prove to be cheaper. I've used them for shedloads of stuff, and their delivery time is pretty good, plus their prices are typically among the best.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

moto rts.
if you are only doing road commuting why not get some road slicks? the moto rt's works well if you occasionally go onto dirt. id stay away from the hookworks. they are ok. just really heavy and there are better options

B10Hazard
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dmr motos FTW !
I had them on the last bike i build
There awsome .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 25 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road slicks in an ideal world would work best, but glass and other crap around the roads an paths make a mess of tyres in no time, my riding style is aggressive, i slide the back end alot and such.

I like the R/Ts because the tread will help prevent flats, Other suggestions would be great i've not made up my mind yet, i'll be buying tyres friday with any luck as thats when i get payed.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 26 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_godfather wrote:

if you are only doing road commuting why not get some road slicks?

Went the local bike show and got recomended these but i'm going to hit water covered roads constantly, would you rather have these or the R/Ts over them?

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 29 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit, i think i've made a fatal mistake, i've bought some R/Ts in 2.4 width and the bike has 1.95s on atm and they seem to be quite big on the rims, will they fit the 2.4s? or should i phone up the bike shop tomorow an tell them noooooo cancel order me the smaller sizes plz?
Panicing a bit, help.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:24 - 29 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably designed for similar - modern wheels tend to be pretty thin for the size of tyres.
Incidentally, I quite like the Asda £10 knobblyish tyres - they've got a central ring of tread which means they work pretty well on the road too.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 29 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rim says 559 x 17 and on the tyre is says 26 x 195 or 26 x 190 on the back with 50x 559 mm

J D
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 30 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be off topic but if i was to do a 100 mile trip on a pushbike what sort of things should i take with me and How should i prepare?

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 30 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

XlonewolfX wrote:
My rim says...

*Snigger*

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 30 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdloyalroyal wrote:
Sorry to be off topic but if i was to do a 100 mile trip on a pushbike what sort of things should i take with me and How should i prepare?

A pump to inflate tyres, also a puncture repair kit if not a spare innertube or 2 should the worse come to worse. Some water would do you good should you get thristy lol.
An chives, thats just child like... i too lol'd. Laughing

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 30 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdloyalroyal wrote:

What bike you doing it on? I'd just start off smaller and work up, things to bring with you... inner tubes, tyre levers, some form of patches (I'd recommend these), and a small multi-tool with allen-keys and screw driver on. Should get all that to find under a saddle easy enough. And a pump, something which attaches to the drinks bottle holes. I have done several thousand of miles on my road back and can only think of getting one puncture... 120 psi tires don't get punctures easily. My chain snapped clean in half after a 300 (or so) mile cycling holiday, was luckily 1 mile from home so could push the bike home.

I have a small ruck sac which takes a camel back style thing in it, I take this with me, a map, a jacket/waterproof, phone, money, keys, bit of food. Although I generally stop at places to get food.

Would also recommend some clip in shoes, makes everything a lot more efficient. Oh and some cycling shorts to wear under normal shorts (or maybe those fancy normal looking cycle shorts)... I have a pair of padded boxer shorts which I wear with padded lycra shorts too.

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 30 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never forget fitting continental tyres on my mountain bike. The first skid I pulled resulted in a six inch tear in the sidewall of the back tyre. Laughing

Pointless post but this thread reminded me of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J D
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 31 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what bike it will be on looking to buy one this week if anyone can recommend me one?

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 31 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is definitely going to have be a road bike with nice slim tires and no suspension. If you plan to tour on the bike it will need pannier mounting points on the frame too. Personally I'd get the lightest bike you can afford while keeping in mind what sort of riding you are going to be doing, perhaps build you own, it isn't hard.

I technically don't own a pedal bike, my bike got stolen in Leeds (Merlin frame which I built myself), however since I was 15 I had been 'borrowing' my Dads custom made Ribble. You go to the shop, you decide on the style (he bought wanting to do Triathlons with it, however he injured his knee and is now fat), they then measure you up on a bike and see how strong your legs are to decide on sprocket sizes, they just a case of how much you will spend on it to make it lighter etc. Being about the same size as my Dad (height wise) means it fits me great, however it isn't the right sort of bike for what I do mostly on it. There isn't any pannier mounting points, the gearing isn't setup with slow hill climbing in mind, I often have to leave my mate because he is going to slow and it is easier for me to go faster up the hill, although it has been pointed out I am pretty good at hill cycling.

If you have got the time I'd build your own, it will work out cheaper you can get your own mix of bits which you want. The Ribble is nice, but it is a bit expensive if it is a sort of charity ride or what not.

Fnatic
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:56 - 31 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
XlonewolfX wrote:
My rim says...

*nigger*

Surprised

J D
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 31 May 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with me getting a light bike is that im about 6ft3 and like 16 stone Laughing

Bike will be used for getting me fit so say doing around 20 miles a day and the odd bigger trip such as 100 miles. Roughly how much was your dads bike?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2