Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Uneven brake pad wear?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mungel
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:01 - 27 Jul 2009    Post subject: Uneven brake pad wear? Reply with quote

Whilst researching my soggy feeling front brake, I noticed that the pads on the right caliper (offside) have worn down much more than the pads on the left?

Is this normal or could this be a sign of something wrong?

I would say that the pads on the nearside are only part worn, where as the other side are nearing the limit.

I have recently noticed an ever increasing loss of feel in the lever. A while back, the brake felt fine, pulling a small amount until getting solid. This is now gone and the lever almost touches the bar before any real braking power is felt.

I have tried bleeding both calipers, to no avail. I have also tried the top banjo trick, but this expelled no trapped air.

Advice please, before I end up throwing in the towel and putting the bike into an expensive garage to have the whole system overhauled, at great cost no doubt.... Sad

Last edited by Mungel on 12:05 - 27 Jul 2009; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:05 - 27 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Fair chance that some of the pistons have seized. Are these the 6 pot calipers? If so they are pretty renowned for it.

All the best

Keith

Mungel
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:36 - 27 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Fair chance that some of the pistons have seized. Are these the 6 pot calipers? If so they are pretty renowned for it.

Standard six pots as far as I know.
Would seized pistons account for the spongyness(sp) that has appeared, as well as the uneven wear?

I think I will have a go at cleaning both calipers and seeing what results from it. Guess I better get some new pads to stick in them too.

I have recently bled the whole system through with new fluid. Will I have to do the whole lot again, or will I get away with just topping up?

Thanks for any advice.. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:59 - 27 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Might cause the spongyness. Those calipers are renowned for seizing up. If you are to strip them and clean them properly then you will have to pop the pistons out and possibly replace the seals. You will definatly have to rebleed the brakes.

All the best

Keith

Mungel
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:11 - 27 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Might cause the spongyness. Those calipers are renowned for seizing up. If you are to strip them and clean them properly then you will have to pop the pistons out and possibly replace the seals. You will definatly have to rebleed the brakes.

Cool. Thanks for the advice.
I hope I can get away with a quick clean up of the pistons, as the seal kits would set me back about £80 Crying or Very sad

I found an interesting how to guide by Korn on here earlier, so I will try following that - when I get a free day.... Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1