Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mitaka Barrel and piston..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bmwsport
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:36 - 06 Jun 2009    Post subject: Mitaka Barrel and piston.. Reply with quote

Guys,

What do you think of this? good price?

Ebay Link

Any feedback on the quality of these parts? I've used the search thing and found a relevent post but was back in '05...

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 06 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what their barrels are like but prox, wiseco or asso werke pistons are supposed to be better.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:52 - 06 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not a bad price. Sometimes seen them cheaper, but not by much (think £180 is the cheapest I have seen them).

Think the pistons are meant to be OK although some say to use them with better rings.

All the best

Keith

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 06 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone ive asked in the 2stroke reliablility stakes say keep away from mikita. cheap copy parts.

Mines recently blew its piston and barrell, im going to get the real one replated, and then a Pro-X piston.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bmwsport
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:56 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.. thanks guys.

I had a look at the pro-x piston.. this Wiseco one looks pretty awesome..

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aprilia-AF1-RS125-RS-125-85-05-54mm-Wiseco-Piston_W0QQitemZ290305436896QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item43978d6ce0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1689%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Just a few quid mind.. lol

spitfire123
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:18 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwsport wrote:

mitaka kits arnt bad....

ive a wiseco piston in the mitaka cilinder....and its a vast improvement on standerd.
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Slightly Off Topic]

Mitaka Piston kits in an RD250E air cooled. Good or bad?

[/Slightly Off Topic]

bmwsport
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:50 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitfire123 wrote:
bmwsport wrote:

mitaka kits arnt bad....

ive a wiseco piston in the mitaka cilinder....and its a vast improvement on standerd.

Excellent! Was thinking about this option.. what differences have you noticed? better response?

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUEX5 wrote:
tutton wrote:
All the clueless cunts ive asked in the 2stroke reliablility stakes say keep away from mikita. cheap copy parts.

Mines recently blew its piston and barrell, im going to get the real one replated, and then a Pro-X piston.

Fixed it for you Wink

I know who im going to belive so im getting my original barrell replated and not risking it to be honest, you know what they say about chinese and that origin metal i think there made in taiwan, would you really want to risk your big end to find out?
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, PJME told me to go for replating the original barrell over a mikita kit Wink
Meh this is beyond the point ill be going Pro-x piston and rings, which is apprarently as good as oem.

bmwsport
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:57 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Options options.. i think mines going to require a replate and repair if i went that route as i have a scored piston.. which i presume with have scored the barrell too (i can only see the piston by looking up the exhaust port) A new barrell altogther in the shape of the mitaka is quite appealing.. but i would prefer to keep the genuine part i think.

Is that Wiseco piston going to be much better than the pro-x? i presume the wiseco is the only one out of the 3 (mitaka/pro-x) thats forged? does this make much difference?

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/Aprilia_RS125_Engine_Top_End_.html

PJME top end page answers your questions.

bmwsport
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:41 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tutton, although that doesn't explain why.. looks a good site though.. i'd be tempted by the single piston ring Wiseco flat top piston with the Mitaka barrel and the vhm flat cylinder head as it all looks very good lol, but doesn't expain the benefits? Hadn't seen those cylinder heads until now..

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your going into tuning now, doing the cylinder head and that you do know that right?
Single ring pistons have less friction asfaik,
less friction = better for the engine thus should be a little faster, although you will probably sacrafice some reliability for running a racing head and piston.

bmwsport
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:15 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea.. i didnt realise there was such tuning stuff about Very Happy

Just had a look at stan stephens site.. his cylinder heads and engine work look/sound awesome..

Would be the right time to do some tuning as it needs the top end doing anyway.. wheres that credit card lol, i'd love to have a go on one with a fully sorted engine, i'd expect theres quite a difference?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:31 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

When PJME rebored the TZR barrels for me they supplied them back with Mitaka pistons (although with alternative rings).

As far as I know forged pistons need a slightly different clearance to normal cast pistons.

All the best

Keith

5v3d3b0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:04 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mitaka cylinder kit ran perfect for about a year (just sold the bike)
That includes me doing about a mile on ZERO 2t oil!
No questions, stupid mistake...
I think it's a good head, and with flat head piston and all the shit you can put on if you want to like V force carbon reed block and a 34 carb, I expect you can see quite a difference..

Coxyzxr
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:33 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

As far as I know forged pistons need a slightly different clearance to normal cast pistons.

All the best

Keith

Yes, I believe because of the thermal properties of the differing structure between cast and forged you're essentially looking at different expansion rates(or amounts rather) when hot.

blutonium92
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:58 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

never heard much about them tbh,
id stick to MK

Fnatic
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current bike has had a full rebuild already and it's now on 10,000 km overall. My RS has that Mitaka kit. It seems fine but I'll probably put a better brand on it when it next goes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1