Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

LED Indicators

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Phil_D
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: LED Indicators Reply with quote

Im after some Led indicators for my 1999 CBR600 but im not sure where to look. Do i need to buy cbr model specific indicators or universal? Any brands better than others? I am aware i will need to install some kind of resistor to slow the flashing down - is this simple to do?

So yeh if anyone knows of any good websites for me to looks at that would be great

Cheers

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hondas have got their own honda style indicator connectors and i'm sure the same applies to other brands too. When you purchase your LED's you can either get the connector adapters, OR if like me you don't mind butchering your loom, just cut the end of the connectors and use bullet style crimp connectors. It's handy if your mate has one which you can borrow.

Alternatively, solder the two ends of the wires together and insulate them properly.

If you're planning to get LEDs, I'd get them fitted front AND rear. I've tried using load resistors, but if you don't secure them properly, chances are they will blow and your indicators will start hyper-flashing. VERY annoying. Rather than getting the load resistors, just buy yourself a replacement Indicator relay off ebay (universal type - it's got a plug style connector - BikeIt do them). Alternatively, give Saj a PM (Type_Mo) and he'll sort you out!

There's nothing really to it. If you don't have a multimeter to check your polarity, just connect the ends of the wires together and see if the indicators flash.

Brands of Indis? God knows, I use flush mount HG's on the front and motrax arrows on the rear. The LED relay will easily sort out the flash rate. Total cost? Hmm, £60 all in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:49 - 04 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

M&P's budget indicator relay is a tenner, and works quite well. Fine on my Bandit, to say the least.
I agree wholeheartedly with Titz on the load resistor thing, though: you've also got to make sure they're nowhere near anything plastic, too, because they get stupidly hot.

For the sake of being able to remove them in the future, I would say that it's probably best to get a set of bullet connectors fitted to your loom: it might feel like butchery on your part, but it's worth it. Even with the minimal fairing on my bike (Bandit S), you've still got to remove the indicators and plastic to get to anything much. Just saves on future hassle.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1