loss of power

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

trisha1963
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:22 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: loss of power Reply with quote

Hi I have a JM Star 50QT-13 07 erg,

We have had a lot of problems with it, and now the latest thing is a loss of power this has only happened since we replaced the stator and things, we have replaced the spark plug, set the gap as directed in the manual, it seems to be running rich as a sooty plug is what we have, and when we rev it up there appears t be petrol coming out exhaust, and we have a strong smell of fuel as well,

we have tried the air mix screw and no joy, it starts ok, runs ok other than no power, can someone suggest anything too check/try

thanks

trisha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
have a look at the carb.
if there is an "enrichment pump" on the side of the carb, adjust it.
(whilst looking at the side of the carb, open & close the throttle. is there a cable pulling a little hammer type thing,with 2 nuts on it, little rubber shroud on it?)
i found out how these work by taking the carb off & pushing down on the little piston... only to have petrol squirted straight into my eye, at which point i screamed like a little girl, dropping the said carb in disgust.
when the throttle is wide open, it pumps/squirts extra fuel into the carb.
these are usually set up wrong & need loosening off to stop it pumping fuel in so early in the throttle opening.
if it doesnt have one of these devices on the carb, f*cked if i know whats wrong with it.
cheers,
GAZ

Last edited by stirlinggaz on 15:34 - 07 Jun 2009; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Timmeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 07 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to BCF.

First thing to do is get the carb apart and check for something like a stuck float, leaking main jet or other really obvious problem.

I have a feeling that the air screw might be a mixture screw, but without knowing the carb model we can't be sure. You could try to gently turn it all the way in until it stops (don't force it) and then wind it back out 1.5 turns.

For a single like yours a colourtune is the best and easiest way of getting the idle mix right.

Hope this helps.
Thumbs Up
20:22:30 BLUEX5: i would love to be forced to undergo a**l plugging with different sizes
20:48:18 Temeluchus: comp you hunk of smouldering homos3x you

yuri2085
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 08 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check air filter might be clogged.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1