Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ground Anchors and Chains - Anyone use a Yanchor?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

southglasgow
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:03 - 11 Jun 2009    Post subject: Ground Anchors and Chains - Anyone use a Yanchor? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just recently got the all important CBT cert, and rather than worrying about what 125 to get, I've been worrying about how to make sure my eventual choice stays where I put it.

I wont go into what chain is best / lasts longer, as I had already decided on a Almax Series III when I first started to look into Bike Security - and some searching in here tells me its been done to death with some arguments both for and against in many places. The choice of anchors for it tho, seem to vary wildly between small bolt on blocks with a varying number of expanding bolts for securing them, to anchors which are set into the ground and concreted in place.

I am considering the Yanchor - www.yanchor.com for my main ground anchor at home, which is the later of the two types.

Does anyone have any experience of these, and would like to share? If anyone uses one in along with an Almax chain and lock, even better.

Thanks in advance.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 11 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't fitted mine yet, but own one. Seems a decent bit of kit. (I have max 90 or something or other.)

mr-inteligent
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:48 - 11 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am looking into ground anchors at the moment to and would much rather get one of these than something that just bolts in.

I will be putting mine between 4 paving stabs that are heavily concreted down.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 11 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blagged mine for free. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 6 years, 190 days between these two posts...

TripleZ
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:35 - 18 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

southglasgow wrote:
Hi all,
Just recently got the all important CBT cert, and rather than worrying about what 125 to get, I've been worrying about how to make sure my eventual choice stays where I put it.

I wont go into what chain is best / lasts longer, as I had already decided on a Almax Series III when I first started to look into Bike Security - and some searching in here tells me its been done to death with some arguments both for and against in many places. The choice of anchors for it tho, seem to vary wildly between small bolt on blocks with a varying number of expanding bolts for securing them, to anchors which are set into the ground and concreted in place. that it is very effective. Does anyone have any experience of these, and would like to share? If anyone uses one in along with an Almax chain and lock, even better.

Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking about getting either the Y Anchor or a Kryptonite 330202.

Are these things really safe though. I mean people can still just cut the chain right? Is there a better way to secure your bike?

It would be good if there was something like Y Anchor that has an alarm on it but I can't seem to find one.

Last edited by TripleZ on 19:48 - 16 Feb 2020; edited 2 times in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 18 Dec 2015    Post subject: Re: Ground Anchors and Chains - Anyone use a Yanchor? Reply with quote

southglasgow wrote:
Hi all,

I wont go into what chain is best / lasts longer, as I had already decided on a Almax Series III when I first started to look into Bike Security - and some searching in here tells me its been done to death with some arguments both for and against in many places. The choice of anchors for it tho, seem to vary wildly between small bolt on blocks with a varying number of expanding bolts for securing them, to anchors which are set into the ground and concreted in place.

I am considering the Yanchor - www.yanchor.com for my main ground anchor at home, which is the later of the two types.

Does anyone have any experience of these, and would like to share? If anyone uses one in along with an Almax chain and lock, even better.

Thanks in advance.

If you are going with an ALMAX chain then use their mate's anchor from Pragmasis. You'll need an Ef-Off drill to make holes in concrete but they are very nice gear.
Pragmasis have another doofur that pokes through the swing arm pivot/hollow rear axle to connect to the chain if you don't want the phaph of threading a chain through.
(And it is a fekin phaph reeeeally to have to thread a chain as they knock fek out of paint and chrome finish Sad )

Shit.. I just got sucked into a 6 fcikung year old thread. I hadn't even left school when this thread was started. Shocked

Last edited by MCN on 13:32 - 18 Dec 2015; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:23 - 18 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting bump.

Well, the setup's only as good as its weakest point, but I'd venture a guess that most pikeys are set up to cut chains, not pull anchors, so sure, Almax or Pragmassis.

Any alarmed disc- /pad- lock will give you some audible warning, as well as going off whenever the neighbour's cat jumps on your bike. Or looks at it.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 18 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can vouch for the Pragmasis chain and anchor combo. SDS drill, but I think the anchor comes with an SDS+ drill bit, so you may have to fork out another fiver for a 16mm drill bit - A corded SDS drill is about £30 for a basic one from screwfix and does the job adequately well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1