Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Took the Plunge & got a Honda MSX 125 148mpg wow!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Took the Plunge & got a Honda MSX 125 148mpg wow! Reply with quote

After looking at everything i took the plunge and got a brand new Honda MSX 125 still running it in and was shocked that my first tank of petrol after 135 miles was £4.30 to fill up and i still had petrol left in the tank for probably another 30 miles despite the reserve bar flashing giving me 148mpg

top speed i hear is 65mph which im fine with as im currently stuck at going at a max of about 45mph as doble motorcycles said dont go above 6k rpm until after the first 600 miles service.

its a nice nippy bike and feels stable at 45mph on the motorway but the seat is so rock hard and will change that soon

there is absolutely 0 storage space for anything under the seat Shocked

ill get cheapish zx9r in the spring for rideouts with the lads but i bloody love this little gem of a bike and realised torque and power of the bigger bikes are no longer the be all and end all for me.

i actually cant wait to take this bike touring round scotland and being on the motorway on this dont scare me at all as ive accepted its a whole different concept and attitude which is required when riding a low powered bike which is fine with me.
besides when i was touring on the GSXR k6 my speed was mainly 40-50mph and on the motorway to get to scotland i stayed at 70mph the whole way

i got this brand new as i have 0 intention of ever selling and its so easy to work on plus its the first time ive ever had a brand new bike after owning too many bikes to count

the only thing i have to decide now is whether to bother sticking with servicing at doble or just do it myself as they are asking £120 for the first service which i know i could do myself but not sure yet if i wanna mess with the 2yr warranty.
what you guys think about that?

the top speed is not as great as the MT 125 or YZF R125 but 60 mph does me fine if i need to be on the motorway as ive been doing it for past months and even on the GSXR 1000 k6 i cruised at about 60-70mph on the motorway to work

if any of you are toying with the idea blag a test ride on one and see how you get on

https://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/wooizm/Honda%20MSX%20125/20151215_175302_zpseznxgmw8.jpg

https://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/wooizm/Honda%20MSX%20125/20151215_175308_zpsaqj3hcqz.jpg

https://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/wooizm/Honda%20MSX%20125/20151215_175317_zps6tvrfdxk.jpg

https://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p613/wooizm/Honda%20MSX%20125/20151211_151550_zpshgkxeics.jpg

mrbox
Wonderwall

PostPosted: 05:02 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice! had mine a year now and they are good fun. first things first get rid of the stock tires!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:55 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one listening the the dealers run in recommendation. Laughing ride how you want.

I do like these. Lovely small but usable bikes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you weigh?

65mph @ 8 stone or 65 mph @ 13 stone ..

They look funky but I can't see them being much fun for tall or heavy riders at all..

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to be developing a cult following in the US as a Grom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of-I6HV-ljc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:58 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

They look funky but I can't see them being much fun for tall or heavy riders at all..

I'm around 6' and fit ok on a similarly sized 'CRF70' framed pit bike (do find the smaller CRF50s a bit cramped, though I could try adjusting the bars!)

And on that, as ever... still don't see why this Honda over a 140/160 pitbike Smile.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:28 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Northern Monkey>Stop being a pussy and just rag it.</Northern Monkey>

Love the duct tape on the muff hole fnar, I've done the same "mod". Thumbs Up

Even sitting on one made me grin like a loon, they seem like they'd be a right laugh.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

I had a sit on one and they're not bad. I'm 6' 2''. Good thing about them is you can sit back on the 'pillion' bit of the seat, felt ok.

Still interested in these, but not sure I really need to spend on a second bike. My sensible head seems to be ruling at the moment Sad
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:35 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were looking for a good way to invest £3k for 15-20 years. One of these, brand new and boxed, in a dry building seems like a dead-cert.

Imagine what a brand new, unmolested z50 or FS1E would go for on todays market. I'm convinced these are out of the same mould.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode mine for 2 miles to get it warm then ragged it to the redline. Change oil at 50, 200 and 400 miles then it's run in. Mine is still using no oil 8000 miles later.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
<Northern Monkey>Stop being a pussy and just rag it.</Northern Monkey>

Love the duct tape on the muff hole fnar, I've done the same "mod". Thumbs Up

Even sitting on one made me grin like a loon, they seem like they'd be a right laugh.

You're welcome to an extended go on mine if you ride down to Newcastle.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do sort of want one as well, I think it's the whole wanting a monkey bike as a kid fantasy. What's it like being that low down, for seeing over cars and generally being seen?

Also dunno if I could go back to that underpowered feeling, it's lighter than most 125's (probably with the exception of the Sachs Madass), but less than 10bhp Confused

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:03 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 20kg under a YBR125 (assuming similar fuel). Or about the same as my KTM144XC fully fueled (said KTM of course makes 3x the power maybe, with a lot better suspension, though won't be so great on economy.)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
I rode mine for 2 miles to get it warm then ragged it to the redline. Change oil at 50, 200 and 400 miles then it's run in. Mine is still using no oil 8000 miles later.

It could be 'topping up' the oil via un-burned fuel running down into the sump. Shocked

Very Happy

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Northern Monkey wrote:

It could be 'topping up' the oil via un-burned fuel running down into the sump. Shocked

Very Happy

That's a good thing tho, the petrol will thin down the oil, leading to less internal friction and moar powaaah!

Replacing about a quarter of the oil capacity with petrol at oil change time is a well known way to increase speed on smaller bikes.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
About 20kg under a YBR125 (assuming similar fuel). Or about the same as my KTM144XC fully fueled (said KTM of course makes 3x the power maybe, with a lot better suspension, though won't be so great on economy.)

I was going to start a 'lightest bikes' thread but thought you'd just fill it with KTM's Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing how popular these MSX things are, I think there is room for Honda to release an MSX200 possibly using the current aftermarket kits like Rieju and Fantic do with their 200cc models.

An 17-18bhp MSX would max out the handling and braking capacity of this little chassis, and take it to it's logical end of development, while also tempting even more big bike owners in who want a small funky second bike or something for winter that they can park/store easily or maybe keep in the house etc.

I agree with Stinkwheel about the fact that this thing might take off in the future as a modern classic monkey and be sought after too!

I'd still prefer a Kawasaki KSR80, but I have to admit they do not look as good and wouldn't be as useful for commuting either.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of anything worse than buying a bike and not riding it Smile You'd have to have two, like one mint comic book type thing.

Only reason I don't see Honda doing that is it would take the bike out of the Learner market, even though its appeal seems to stretch beyond learners anyway. I'd just like to see it a bit closer to the 15bhp limit.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bike looks fun to ride. And looks better than Ape 100.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikes the perfect height for me as im officially 5"4

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:10 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the cub-style engines typically don't start making that sort of power until you get a bigger capacity.

What's annoying is that it's not compatible with the standard engine mounts I believe - otherwise you could be plugging in 18hp fire-breathing lumps from OO racing etc.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit bike engine mounting kits are available. I've never tried one though

mrbox
Wonderwall

PostPosted: 15:27 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres mine everybody should have a go on one!

https://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac303/mrbox1984/CIMG2096_zps0wmpssda.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:38 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tyres are knobblier than the elephant man's whang. Thumbs Up

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 16 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much flux does the frame have on it?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2