Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

50cc?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Thankyou

PostPosted: 23:41 - 07 Jul 2003    Post subject: 50cc? Reply with quote

i know you probably hear this all the time but i was wondering which is the best 50 ped to get, scooter or geared.
Mainly going for speed.
My mate has a runner 50 (derestricted) and says he can get 65 out of it. I need one that can go faster if he is telling the truth. how fast can an rs50 go.
please help.
Thankyou.
You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:48 - 07 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might do 65 if you ride of a cliff.

50cc are not meant to be fast, and they never will be. Get one, like at 30-50mph, become 17, do your test move on.

Best 50cc would be anything with gears and without fairing as you are so likely to drop it, and fairings dont bounce like an MX bike

One Day
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:53 - 07 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

would a 50 with gears go faster than a 50 scoot?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:54 - 07 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. But it will mean when you get onto a proper bike you will be able to use the gears

Syfoon
TRUCK!!!

PostPosted: 23:55 - 07 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:
It might do 65 if you ride of a cliff.

Laughing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:55 - 07 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

an old TS50 or DT50 would be your best bet - top speed of around 40, lots of cheap tuning parts in breakers, dirt cheap to run, crash, insure and buy.

podgester
Mister Cumshot

PostPosted: 00:13 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mates rs 50 goes 75 (on the clock)

Susi
Whitton Girl

PostPosted: 00:56 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, is that like an RS125 does 115mph? Laughing hahahahahaha Very Happy

-Zimma

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 01:01 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the guy who sold me my new end can and gear levers n stuff said he had his RS up to 115mph, I gave him a look of disbelief and he quickly started trying to explain that it was de-restricted and race tuned and god knows what else he said!

Oh and apparrently his front wheel was always in the air gave me a chuckle on the ride home!

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 01:14 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TS50 did 50MPH which isnt too bad. Some scooters are faster although the acceleration on a geared 50cc tends to be a bit faster.

The aprilia RX50 is a fast 50cc, a mates used to indicate 65MPH, plus they look pretty nice.

65MPH on a scooter is doubtful but still possible as i know some are fairly nippy for 50's.

I also agree with the above, get a geared 50cc scrambler, they are so much fun and are really good for learning wheelies and clutch control. I have a CBR600 and still get alot of fun out of riding my TS50.

cheers
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 01:19 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

A scooter registering 60+mph doubtful my mate had a 125 scooter which only registered 65 at the top end 70 if you give it a good hill and wind!

I used to piss all over it on my old CG so I doubt a 50cc would get up that kind of speed but that may just be my opinion!

mike_neon
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:25 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a Aprillia SR 50, had it for about 8-9 months
top speed around 45-50 mph

dont really matter mate on the ped speed, all the around the same really. I went for a good looking one and happened to be fairly nippy at the same time. Dont go for Aprillia tho, as not highly recommended in ped terms, fairings cost an absolute shit loads, and theres a high chance of dropping it! Really not recommended

i would recomend getting a second hand Speed fight 2 or something, very smart, nippy, cheap fairings, easy to get parts.

If you want to move onto something bigger afterwards, dont raid the bank as i saved my dosh as i knew i wouldnt keep the ped longer than a year.

Going for my bike test next week (14th July) ooo and im nervous
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

richn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:29 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My RS50 (only derestricted) once got to 66mph (head down long run up gentle downhill etc!) but was more happier at 55-60. any body who claims they can get their 50 above 70mph is talking out their backside.

I also would go with a geared bike cos u will simply get bored of going along full throttle on a automatic ped!

Regards

Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

125wannabe
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:45 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

mate all 50s are the same in my mind, everyone will claim that there goes loads faster but it dont their siply lying, 50s do 50 some a little faster some a little slower, no huge differences, in hind sight i wish i had a geared 50, but for convenience peds are easier as thay have storage an u cus probably ride them in ur sleep (i am not sayin you should try this, an take no responsibility in death and/or injury caused by sleep ped riding)

Will
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 02:22 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate I know of one 50cc geared bike that will do 70mph de-restricted. It's called a Derbi GPR. Goggle them. Their pretty nice for a 50cc.

Cheers

Will

Lee
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:51 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

wblake wrote:
Mate I know of one 50cc geared bike that will do 70mph de-restricted. It's called a Derbi GPR. Goggle them. Their pretty nice for a 50cc.

Cheers

Will
Have you seen how small they are Shocked They have one in my local motorbike shop (Coburn & Hughes), they look like a childs toy they are so small. I could probably sit on the seat and put my knees on the floor lol Laughing

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 09:08 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

be easy for knee down then
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 09:22 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Day wrote:
would a 50 with gears go faster than a 50 scoot?

If anything (especially if it's your first bike on the road) a scooter would probably be quicker 'cos it's literally rev and go, so you don't need to worry about gear changes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

zaknafien

PostPosted: 12:32 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Re: 50cc? Reply with quote

Thankyou wrote:
best 50 ped to get

If you HAVE to buy a 50, get something cheap that you can get rid of when you can ride something bigger in a years time or so. Spend alot of money on a crappy 50 and you'll regret it as soon as your allowed to ride something bigger and your bikes worth feck all.

Thankyou wrote:
Mainly going for speed.

And your after a 50?
/me sniggers

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't spend much money on a 50.

D'oh with my bike blown up, I have to use the ped again. Although we're selling pretty much everything in the garage over the next couple of weeks. I'm already missing the gears Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:06 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most of you know I've got a RS50 and no lie it does 71mph. Screaming its bollocks off going beyond redline! It's a nice bike but that's probably the most wanted bike a 16 year old wants. I'm selling it in November.

My mate has a DT50MX for sale, hes stripped it and repraying it and putting it back together. It's been derestricted, fresco big one exhaust, K'n'N air filter, tops out at 60mph. Excellent for wheelies.
He want's £500 ono.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:12 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't do 71mph.

what the speedo says and what the bike is doing are two very different thing. It could be doing 60.

Dr Nick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
it doesn't do 71mph.

what the speedo says and what the bike is doing are two very different thing. It could be doing 60.

Well i have clocked him doing 70 on my NSR, and so has my mates saxo.

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr400f wrote:
robby wrote:
it doesn't do 71mph.

Sorry mate, but NSRs and Saxos have tuned speedos as well Laughing

Get a Suzuki TS50. Bloody great fun. Decent bike, very cheap to run and my sister's does just over 50

zaknafien

PostPosted: 17:37 - 08 Jul 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr400f wrote:
robby wrote:
it doesn't do 71mph.

Get it to a dragstrip and if the billboard reads 70 i'll believe you.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 302 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2