Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sub ?500 125... not that easy to find it seems.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freols
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:57 - 26 Jun 2009    Post subject: Sub £500 125... not that easy to find it seems. Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm 19, I'm back from Uni for about 4 months and thanks to my bike riding friends here at home I feel a bit left out.

I was considering trying for one of those "intensive" courses to get myself an A2 licence, but seeing as that is £500 my friends recommend that I grab a cheap 125cc bike and drive around for a few months.

My budget is £500 I reckon, although I was hoping to get something for less than that considering the fact that I am not being very fussy about looks. I simply want something that is reliable, cheap to insure and under £500 - age and looks are not an object.

So... what bike? CG125 right? Or an equivalent from Suzuki or Yamaha?
Sure, they sound fab, but I'm having big problems finding such bikes for low prices, I was assuming you would be able to pick up old but reliable bikes for under £500 - Ebay and Biketrader aretelling me I am wrong - the only things under £500 seem to be broken, from the 70's or hundreds of miles away from me. I had kind of banked on things like CB125s being plentiful in my area (Hampshire)! It seems I was very wrong!

Any advice on sourcing cheap bikes? Like I said, I am not fussy, looks don't concern me, only reliability, insurance and safety (I REALLY don't want to ride a death trap).

Cheers!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:00 - 26 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.adtrader.co.uk
www.loot.com

With Ad Trader you're best getting the paper the day it comes out and going to look at bikes ASAP, bargains sell quickly.

eBay and Bike Trader have less cheap bikes cos it costs to advertise.

wizzzard
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 26 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont limit yourself to 125's either. I picked up an almost immaculate h100 as a second bike from ebay for £250 and being a low tune two stroke its reliable and pretty nippy to. Agree with ste about ad trader you have to be quick to get the bargains.

Freols
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:05 - 26 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having poked around a bit more I've found a wealth of possibilities on gumtree in particular.

Thanks for the advice chaps, what does however seem apparent is that CG125s are in fact quite pricey, although I think the thing is they hold their price?

robocog
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:37 - 26 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

REF CG's
They do seem to hold their price...not so sure if they take a nosedive as the winter approaches as I've not long discovered 2 wheels

Keep looking, they are out there
I spent over a month of being ignored by sellers on Gumtree, being thwarted at the last second on eBay till I found "the one"-on eBay as it happens and managed to get a viewing a few hours before the auction ended and waved some crisp notes (£400 IIRC) under the sellers nose and persuaded him to stop the auction there and then
I know this is not the way it -should- be done..but it seemed the only way after so many dissapointments and dealing with fools

I have since got another for silly money (sub £150), but its going to be a while till it will be ready for the road and will need a fair ammount of work and money throwing at it

Do you have a riding school local ish?
Maybe worth asking
I approached mine and was offered one of the schools Chinese CG copies for around what you want one for (they are the Kymco modern high cheekboned tank CG a likes- starter motor and everything!)

Would have got one, but they spent weeks fobbing me off whilst they sorted which ones were staying and which were going and I got frustratated badgering them as I will be doing a big test with them _eventually_ and didn't want to be a nuisance and get a bad label
Maybe worth seeing if they have sorted the situation out by now?
Will PM you their details if interested

They may well have a list of ex 125 riders that have recently done DAS or A licence recently and are itching to upgrade machines - or let you pop an advert on the noticeboard it they have one

Keep looking - have you tried a wanted ad in local supermarket/newsagents?
It was going to be my next move if I hadn't managed to bag one before summer was over

have you been into Valley motorcycles in Southampton?
They had some CG's in there a few weeks ago, not sure how much they were after for them

Good luck with the search, I'm sure you will find "the one" Smile
BTW 70's CG's rock!

Regards
Rob
(also in Hampshire)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 26 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freols wrote:
Thanks for the advice chaps, what does however seem apparent is that CG125s are in fact quite pricey, although I think the thing is they hold their price?

Yep that does be the case, popular bikes to learn on, and no better time of year to learn than in summer.

CG125s in particular hold their price well because of their reputation. One good thing about this though is that unless you totally bin it then you'll get back what you paid for it when it comes to sell it.

Freols
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:40 - 26 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

robocog wrote:

Will PM you their details if interested

They may well have a list of ex 125 riders that have recently done DAS or A licence recently and are itching to upgrade machines - or let you pop an advert on the noticeboard it they have one

Keep looking - have you tried a wanted ad in local supermarket/newsagents?
It was going to be my next move if I hadn't managed to bag one before summer was over

have you been into Valley motorcycles in Southampton?
They had some CG's in there a few weeks ago, not sure how much they were after for them

Good luck with the search, I'm sure you will find "the one" Smile
BTW 70's CG's rock!

All true, I may very well PM you, an old training bike would be perfect.

By the way, anybody had any experience with the "Cagiva Roadster"? For some reason it's the cheapest 125 I've found for insurance so far!

Last edited by Freols on 00:06 - 27 Jun 2009; edited 1 time in total

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:49 - 26 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

From memory it is a cheaper version of the late 1980s Cagiva Blues, using an air cooled derivative of the Blues engine (an early version of the series of engines that eventually went into the Mito).

Think they were built by CZ.

All the best

Keith

Freols
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:58 - 26 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

From memory it is a cheaper version of the late 1980s Cagiva Blues, using an air cooled derivative of the Blues engine (an early version of the series of engines that eventually went into the Mito).

Think they were built by CZ.

All the best

Keith

Thanks, I tell you what, there's a real lack of info on that bike on the web, havn't found a single solid review - although I have found parts... God knows why the sportier two stroke has cheaper insurance!

honda_arry
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 27 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid just over £800 for a 2001 CG (it's pretty immaculate though), possibly paid a bit too much but I'd been looking for a couple of months and this was local so I snapped it up.

Must admit they are pricey when you think you could pick up some much bigger bikes for that and a car not much older for the same price!

But yes the attraction was that they have the reputation and they do hold their value if you're flogging it on after 12 months, in some cases you may be lucky and even get more than you paid for it!

Just remember though if £500 is the bike budget you need a bit more (£150-£200)for some basic gear, you could spend a fortune on that but just starting out I don't think it's needed as you never know you might not continue biking (and you can buy better stuff over time if you wish). Helmet you can get for under £50, gloves £15, Jacket £50-£60, waterproofs, some form of security...disc lock/chain etc...some other things you can do without though are nice to have especially in wet weather like boots!

Freols
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:46 - 27 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

honda_arry wrote:
I paid just over £800 for a 2001 CG (it's pretty immaculate though), possibly paid a bit too much but I'd been looking for a couple of months and this was local so I snapped it up.

Must admit they are pricey when you think you could pick up some much bigger bikes for that and a car not much older for the same price!

But yes the attraction was that they have the reputation and they do hold their value if you're flogging it on after 12 months, in some cases you may be lucky and even get more than you paid for it!

Just remember though if £500 is the bike budget you need a bit more (£150-£200)for some basic gear, you could spend a fortune on that but just starting out I don't think it's needed as you never know you might not continue biking (and you can buy better stuff over time if you wish). Helmet you can get for under £50, gloves £15, Jacket £50-£60, waterproofs, some form of security...disc lock/chain etc...some other things you can do without though are nice to have especially in wet weather like boots!

Aye, gear is another can of worms! I suppose I better start looking around for that stuff. I'm hoping somebody has a helmet that fits my massive head! Laughing

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 27 Jun 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freols wrote:
I'm hoping somebody has a helmet that fits my massive head! Laughing

I've met some big headed bikers in my time, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1