Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Flashers - 4 Pole relay

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:00 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Flashers - 4 Pole relay Reply with quote

Right, changing the indicators on my bike-half way through atm-bought a universal flasher relay from Motrax. But the flasher relay is 4 pole.

The wiring diagram ion my haynes only shows 2 connections. Do I continue to wire up the relay as I would or wire it up differently? I can get a shot of both the relay and the wiring diagram if required.

Thanks for any help,

Nathan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:36 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN fact just checked-and its a 7 pole relay with a wire leading to each connection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not clear what you are saying -

How many connections on the motrax relay?

How many on the old one?

7 connections sounds wrong for any type of flasher. 2 or 3 is more normal on bikes.

Punt up the wiring diagram if you're not sure what's going on.

finpos.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you have bought a normal relay, https://www.allelectronics.com/images/gold/full/RLY-351.jpg
you can get these with any number of pins depending on how many poles you want to switch

this is a motrax flasher relay https://www.thevisorshop.com/acatalog/flash%20it200.jpg
as you can see its 2 wires, 1 connects to the power supply wire, the other connects to the handlebar indicator feed wire

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:26 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard has got 7 wires, motrax has got 2.

Picutre of std-connectors:
https://personal.open-theweb.net/bandit/flashrelay_connections.jpg
Top:
https://personal.open-theweb.net/bandit/flashrelay_text.jpg

And wiring diagram:

https://personal.open-theweb.net/bandit/wiring-diagram-gsf600-1200%20k3&k4.jpeg

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:28 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if im reading the wiring diagram the extra pins on the flasher relay is the pulse gen. Is this what I want/need to replace with the motrax relay?

All kinda confused with this. Rolling Eyes

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've yanked the wrong relay out.

Can't quite make out the writing on your wiring diagram, but in the fusebox there is a thing with a light blue and a black wire going to it - I think that's that's the two-wire flasher unit you are looking to replace.

finpos.

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:42 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no other relay in the area. Had both the side panels off, the rear plastics are off anyway-and cant find a 2 wire one at all. Acording to my Haynes that relay is the one I want.

But after doing a google for FE249JR I get all kinds of results ranging from indicator relay, fuel pump relay for a TLR1000 and more. Neutral

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

....but, on further inspection, that is indeed a flasher relay. However, it kinda looks like it came out of a car. So I can see why you are confused. Possibly your bike has been "modified" in the past?

The important thing for you to do is to try to identify on the bike the light blue and black wires as per wiring diagram. Look in your fusebox, see if there is evidence of a missing relay.

finpos.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:50 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a flasher relay to me, but one set up for working 4-way hazard lights too.

Look at the markings on it:
T 21Wx2 referrs to the Turn signal which is 2x 21w bulbs.

H 21Wx4 referrs to the Hazard lights which is 4x 21W bulbs.

So, if there is a proper connector for each one, i presume your bike either has hazard lights fitted or an alarm system that 'pings' all four.

Either way, it bears no resemblance to the diagram you posted so either your bike is a different model or has been modified in some way.

You'll get a 7 pin relay from a car shop, probably the exact same pins on it. Your flashers will go faster with it because you don't have side repeater bulbs but not so fast as to be illegal. I replace duff flasher relays with mechanical car ones, they seem to be a lot more reliable. The higher flasher speed also seems to make people pay more attention to them.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:59 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah. I found one on the net using ther part number 066500-4230 in google.

The Suzuki part number is 38610-03F00, it is the indicator relay and it costs... wait for it ... are you sitting down? ... £55.20! Shocked

I suggest you get yourself down to the car shop and have a rake around!

https://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/shop/index.php/parts/18/818/index.html

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:59 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be from k2 onwards bandits had hazard lights, instead of a head light switch on the handle bars?

As for the Light blue and brown they do indeed go into that relay.

https://personal.open-theweb.net/bandit/relay.jpg

Oh, ffs im an idiot sometimes-the reason im attempting to replace the relay is because its making my new LED indicators flash too quick. Sorry for leaving that out at the start-moron. Rolling Eyes

Also, the indicators come with resistors-tried them but they dont actually seem to do anything at all. The flash rate doesnt slow down at all.

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, so you have a car-style flasher unit in there - and it also looks like the wiring diagram you posted isn't actually the right one because it shows the bike using a standard, bike-style two wire flasher unit.

If you want to put the motrax unit in there, you are going to have to do the reverse of what stinkwheel does and replace the car-style unit with the bike-style unit. That should be possible, however, I suspect there's very little danger of you being able to do that unless you track down the correct wiring diagram.

LED indicators - who needs 'em Smile

finpos.

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have hazard lights on your bike?

If yes, this might stop them working.

If no, don't worry about it.

1. Connect the brown wire to the red wire on motrax unit.
2. Connect the lightblue wire to the black wire on the motrax unit.
3. Other wires unconnected
4. Don't blame me if your bike sets fire
5. Further bodging may be required if your repeaters on your instruments don't work.

finpos.

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:13 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got them-but dont really need em, could always use the switch to turn my auto-comm on and off.

Ill see if that makes any difference. Hopefully a couple of spade connectors will fit into the pin-holes for the relay.

Will report back in a mo

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:21 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finpos, youre right. It does sort out the idicators. Ana hazards still work. What doesnt is the starting circuit.

Seems like its a ignition come indicator relay. So, to get the flashers to work right as well as being able to start the bike (personally I find this useful) ill have to butcher the wiring loom.

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't see the two things being connected in any way, so I suspect you've inadvertently done something else. Kill switch? Smile

If that's not the case, find the right wiring diagram for your bike and post it here - it should be pretty easy to sort out.

finpos.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:38 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have something to do with the earth from the sidestand cut-out switch. Just what I gleaned from a quick scan of google.

Why this should be the case, I have no idea, I long since gave-up trying to figure out why the Japanese wire their bikes like they do.

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it back, there is a link -

The Orange/Yellow and Orange/Black wires are needed for the sidestand cutout circuit, so that's what is stopping your starter motor working. A quick look tells me that if you short out these two connectors in the relay socket, you'll get your starter motor back. However, I'm clearly working of a similar-but-not-quite-right wiring diagram, so I'm a bit wary of the consequences. It's your bike etc.

I think if you do this, then everything should be ok - except the sidestand cutout won't work anymore. You'll need to add another (standard automotive) relay to get that back. As Stinkwheel says, I have no comprehension of how/why the hell they wired this through a flasher relay.

finpos.

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, sussed it...

You're neutral light has stopped working as well, hasn't it? Smile

I reckon your best bet will be to leave the existing, standard relay in place, but see if you can disconnect the brown and lightblue wires from the back of the relay connector. You may be able to pull the connectors out of the socket, or you may have to cut the wires.

Once you've done that, plumb those two wires to the motrax unit.

If you look on your wiring diagram, in the fuse box there are three blocks - Flasher relay, Sidestand Relay and Diode(for the neutral light). In fact, all three of those things are in the 7-pin "unit" you pulled out. So, 'tis neither a bike flasher, or a car flasher (which is what I thought originally), but some kind of "multi function unit", with 82p worth of components in it, which is sold for 55 quid.

finpos.

Last edited by finpos on 23:43 - 16 Jan 2007; edited 3 times in total

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:27 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I've done. The blue & brown wouldnt pull out, so I ended up having to cut them. Will be a right mess for anybody who wants to return it to standard. I was having to strip wires in a space that fit my hands and little more.

Ah well, sorted now. Thanks for your help. Thumbs Up

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 16 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Result!"

finpos.

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:24 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: As a follow up... Reply with quote

I would agree with you finpos, but only a partial.

If the ignition off with the hazards switched on (harzards go off with ignition) the tail light will flash along with the alarm flash. I think it might be the way that the indicators are connected to the alarm, but im not sure.

I dont think it would cause any further problems, but would welcome a second oppinion. Any ideas?

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just the tail light, and not the parking light at the front, then I'd guess you have an earthing problem somewhere.

Or is it the brake light flashing?

But you are right, the alarm wiring is a great unknown.

finpos.

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:13 - 21 Jan 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked, and it is the front sidelight as well as taillight. Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2