Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


TZR125 2RK Top end Rebuild

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:00 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: TZR125 2RK Top end Rebuild Reply with quote

Okay the Pit locked up on me again today. Seems the engines really tired and on its way out.

I got home, Stripped it down. And heres the result.


https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/binge/Photo0568.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/binge/Photo0569.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/binge/Photo0570.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/binge/Photo0571.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/binge/Photo0567.jpg



I'm no pro. But I can see for myself that the barrel and piston are scored quite bad.

Whats my best option. AFAIK these are an Iron Lined bore? I've been told it can be re-bored and I can fit a new oversized piston?

Is it worth considering a big bore kit?


What do the people of BCF suggest?





Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason it has seized is because the crank seals have gone.
It's been sucking in gearbox oil, Oiling up the plug. I've been thinking its running rich so fitted a smaller jet.

Kept going leaner until the plug was burning right.

But it was then running very lean on petrol/air but still appeared to be running okay due to the oil from the gearbox.

Mild heat seizures have caused the scoring.


BUT the lack of power since the day I got it running suggests its always been down on compression?




Anyway, I've dropped the cylinder off at a local engine machinists in Newington. He is going to measure the current bore and get back to me with what size piston I need to get. Then he can re-bore it to the perfect size for the new piston.

I'll get it built back up with the new carb and crank seals. And run it with a closed powervalve for the time being until its all run in and set up.

Then I'll get the powervalve servo up and running and go from there. Smile





Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dlatch
Nova Slayer



Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 17 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrel will need replating ben i think.
its only the later 3mb barrels that are not plated.

but its definatley goosed Shocked no wonder it was so boggy Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 17 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The 2RH lists oversize pistons in the Yamaha parts list and thing the 2RK is pretty much the same. Fairly certain they do not use plated bores.

That piston doesn't look that bad to me (still knackered, but seen far worse from a simple single seizure). Almost looks like there is more debris on the barrel. Possible it has seized in the past and someone has just lobbed in a new piston?

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 17 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its a very tight bore. The piston sticks if I push it into the barrel by hand.

It does look like its seized in the past and its had a rebuild on the cheap. The previous owner (Not Gaz, Before Gaz) was a bit of a numpty. He said it had been rebuilt 200 miles before Gaz bought it. Clearly not rebuilt properly.


I've been told I can re-bore the cylinder. I've dropped it off at a local machine shop, The guys gonna measure it, Get back to me, Then I can buy an oversize piston, Take it to him, He can machine the barrel to a perfect fit and I can get on with this rebuild! Smile




Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 50.8 Kb