Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best bike magazine(s)?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Best bike magazine(s)? Reply with quote

When I start something new, I read pretty much everything I can find about it. There's loads of bike magazines, so it's costing me a fortune! So I'm looking at subscribing to 1 or 2 for the price reductions....

I've always liked Ride - kinda wanted to get a bike for the last 10-15 years at least - bought a copy every now and then; but I've had the last 3 or 4 and finding them a bit repetative already so I'm worried about it as a long term thing (and the usual problem with group tests - they never seem to include the particular make/model you were looking at). It seems to be the best for riding techniques, maintainance stuff, etc ? Or is there another mag with plenty of practical?

Finding myself drawn to Bike and MSL as meaty, grown up reads; are they good long term bets?

I'm not likely to become a high power speed freak mind you and so the covers of mags like Superbikes/ Fast Bikes don't attract me enough to open them (and possibly not even get their names right?), nor am I about to build a custom (but more likely to flick through a mag about it - always liked hot rods/ americana for cars even if I've not built one of those - I do go to Santa Pod from time to time Wink )

Let the battle of the fans commence!

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like any of the magazines. I am magazine-less. Sad

Coxyzxr
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:05 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to get Bike ALL the time, but did get a bit samey after some months but to be honest it's the only modern mag worth picking up.

If you're into the mechanical side of things the Classic motorcycle mechanics is quite good but focuses on Pre 90's machines. (Mainly late 60s to 80s)

L-Jam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that RiDE has the most content in an issue, and is well written and serious - however, not as 'fun' to read as, say, Fast Bikes. It depends from issue to issue really, if there is something I want to read or an article that has caught my eye, thats the magazine that gets nicked from ASDA via the self service tills Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 15 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's TBM (trail Bike Magazine) like these days, anybody know? Used to buy it years ago but no idea what it's like now (except physically larger)

thewildblue
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:08 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fast bikes mags of the 90s were the best bar none. When Colin schiller was the editor and you had the emmetts riding for the magazine as testers. They came up with some classic stuff back then, some of the quotes were great....

These days I quite like Superbike, but I usually end up buying most of them during the month in the various trips to tescos. My Boss always gets TWO so I end up with that as well. He also gives me EVO magazine which is a superb car mag.

The articles I enjoy most are when they are riding older sports bikes and comparing them with the newer models, I get sick of "sportsbikes shootup".

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to like Superbike mag, but stopped buying it when they dropped the centrefold.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic Motorcycle Mechanics or Classic bike are worth a read in my opinion.

At least with those you get handy workshop tips.

Any other modern mag will probably be full of tyre tests / jacket tests / sports 600 shootouts... yawn fucking yawn...

Thumbs Up

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started out riding around 1991/92, I used to buy Performance Bikes, didn't really like any of the others.

Now I'm not really fussed about mags, but if I happen to see something on the cover I like, I'll have a flick through and possibly buy it.

I used to get MCN pretty much just for the classifieds at one point, but I wouldn't wipe my arse with that paper now!

Laughing Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:08 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike has the most all round appeal, and the best articles, and some of the best photos etc.

Performance bikes is the best mad mag, Superbike has tried to reinvent itself as a n00b's mag and failed spectacularly. Fast bikes was good until the current owners got hold of it.

Ride is full of useful info, but very very dull.

Classic Motorcycle Mechanics is my favourite at the moment, but I subscribe to Bike, and I buy PB regularly.

TWO is just a fashion mag for biker wannabes.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:09 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been buying Superbike for years. It's still alright IMO. A buy Bike now and again, too much touring type stuff in it for me now.

I read Evo too, that's a great read.

Occasionally buy Motorcycle Racer. It's ok, but again tends to get a little samey after a while.

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get BIKE every month, always an interesting read.
Fast Bikes is a load of shite i reckon, same old tests every month, and if it aint the latest high tech superbike then its shit (according to them...)
PB is bloody good though, seems to have a good mix of everything Thumbs Up

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I used to buy AWOL (RIP), many many many moons ago, as it was the best bike magazine out there. I generally don't buy anything anymore.

I will sit and browse my mates' 100% or BSH or Streetfighter mags when I visit, or perhaps spend my lunch break flicking through any which are not bagged up in WHS.

I bought the magazines, me and my bike were featured in, and that's it. Smile

Edit: (Sorry Blue and Nik if you ever pop in and read this site)

Rufus
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:40 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonesy boy wrote:
I would say that RiDE has the most content in an issue, and is well written and serious - however, not as 'fun' to read as, say, Fast Bikes. It depends from issue to issue really, if there is something I want to read or an article that has caught my eye, thats the magazine that gets nicked from ASDA via the self service tills Mr. Green

fast bikes is shite. full of arrogant bastards and shit jokes.

gazzeh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:50 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read fast bikes Embarassed as I find it most enjoyable - although i agree repetitive! Still got some panniers by subscribing Thumbs Up

ToGGoT
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:05 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up copies of Superbike, and Ride this week while i waited for the paint in the garage to dry.

Also, a friend of mine Subscribes to Two, and passes them on when hes finished for toilet reading material.

While Superbike was a good read, it didnt leave me wanting to buy next months copy - dont know what it was about it - not boring, but just not quite enough.

Ride was cack. Sure, im sure there are loads of really interesting facts in there, but the writing style is just SO boring IMHO. Couldnt get into it, and not at one point did it make me want to read the next article. Also, the "europe for 55 euro per day" told me nothing that wasnt already common sense. And the front page article on "Retro gear"? Maybe i've got pages missing because i found only one page about it...

Two on the other hand, i find usually light hearted enough that i dont mind reading it, and interesting to boot. There is a good variety of articles, and they do seem to pad them out well.

That said, i take articles from mags like this with a pinch of salt, because i know that everyone experiences things differently. Whether or not any of them are correct with their assertions i couldnt say.

ToGGoT

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally buy RiDE for the gear reviews, but as said before it's a very repetitive read.

Useful in that it reviews gear on a seasonal basis but every January issue is the same as the previous year's and so on.

Recently started reading Rider's Digest, free issue available from Hein Gericke, but new larger issue on sale in WH Smith for £2.50

Not too bad, some interesting trip reports and stuff, a little bit AOR at times and plenty of reader's letters that are worth skipping.

BIKE sometimes depending on the cover story etc... not so journalistically entertaining as it used to be having lost a couple of columnists.

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who buys Streetfighter. Thumbs Up

I like classic MM, its very useful.

Streetfighters FTW

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 19:19 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Bike.

Endless Nameless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had this discussion before.

I buy BSH- like the writing style, Blue is awesome, or Classic Bike.

From your post however, neither will interest you in the slightest.

hornetmike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read BIKE and Ride , TWO has gone down hill

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWO for me, always seems to be a good read, though i agree it has changed alot now an isnt AS good.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy a magazine based on content. I've not bought one for 6 months. Pretty much everything that is in them can be found on the internet anyway.

Swim41
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:51 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like CMM and Bike, Ride is boring and brand obsessed.

Since reading forums and becoming an "internet biker" I've come to distrust the magazines as they offer no opportunity for debate apart from the letters page two months down the line.

On here though, there's a few respected posters who must know easily as much as the average bike journo, and those who post dodgy advice are (usually) jumped on thanks to the nature of the forum.

Apart from the odd interesting article, what do the magazines offer?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:14 - 16 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swim41 wrote:
Apart from the odd interesting article, what do the magazines offer?

Greater accuracy than a lot of advice on this forum for starters. I'm not saying all of the advice is bad, but there is a lot of advice that the people in the know won't even read to be able to point it out as bad advice. I've seen it on too many occasions.

At least magazines generally check their facts...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2