Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Ebay fees are crazy...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:26 - 18 Jul 2009    Post subject: Ebay fees are crazy... Reply with quote

Just realised they are now (or maybe have been for ages) charging a 10% final value fee on top of the listing fees...

It's just cost me £30 to sell 2 phones!

I wish I invented ebay, daylight robbery if you ask me!
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mrtEE
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 18 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes its a bit of a bummer, you pay 10% fvf, plus a listing fee, plus paypal fees!

But then if you think about it you often sell stuff for a lot more than you would outside of ebay, and you can sell stuff that would never sell elsewhere.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 18 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay used to be, for me anyway, first choice to sell something, a bike, phone, computer and buy stuff.

Now I avoid it as much as possible.

Fees are way to high
Paypal fees are high
Buyers and Sellers just take the piss constantly.
Feedback system is messed up

I only use for things I can't get anywhere else and then it is usually from an ebay shop. Selling something, I would rather pay auto trader MORE because they don't fuck you about anywhere near as much.

/rant
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 18 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrtEE wrote:
yes its a bit of a bummer, you pay 10% fvf, plus a listing fee, plus paypal fees!

But then if you think about it you often sell stuff for a lot more than you would outside of ebay, and you can sell stuff that would never sell elsewhere.


I did get considerably more for the phones than I was expecting, but that doesn't make the extortionate fees right really.. I have no problem having to pay to sell, just 10% seems a ridiculously high amount just for the final listing fee... selling something of £100 costs you £10 + about £1 listing + £3 ish paypal fees... just seems a bit overkill.

But annoyingly I still use it and will continue to do so, begrudginly because as you say, sometimes ebay is the only place you'll get half decent money for something... Sad
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 18 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

allymoss wrote:
Selling something, I would rather pay auto trader MORE because they don't fuck you about anywhere near as much.


You can ask for a little more when selling on Autotrader. People still go to eBay when looking for a bargain.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:51 - 18 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:
mrtEE wrote:
yes its a bit of a bummer, you pay 10% fvf, plus a listing fee, plus paypal fees!

But then if you think about it you often sell stuff for a lot more than you would outside of ebay, and you can sell stuff that would never sell elsewhere.


I did get considerably more for the phones than I was expecting, but that doesn't make the extortionate fees right really.. I have no problem having to pay to sell, just 10% seems a ridiculously high amount just for the final listing fee... selling something of £100 costs you £10 + about £1 listing + £3 ish paypal fees... just seems a bit overkill.

But annoyingly I still use it and will continue to do so, begrudginly because as you say, sometimes ebay is the only place you'll get half decent money for something... Sad


ask buyers to pretend the auction didn't take place i.e. you refunded or summat. job done, fees refunded.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:53 - 18 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
instigator wrote:

ask buyers to pretend the auction didn't take place i.e. you refunded or summat. job done, fees refunded.


That is against ebay rules, but is what I did when I sold Iphone.


Yep, everyone wins. I can't believe I'm not banned from eBay with the number of times I've done it. Maybe on 10 of my bikes sales, I've 'cancelled the transaction'. Laughing Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:14 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sold my dads amp and projector this week, nearly £100 in fees and around £35 in paypal, im disgusted

ebay final sell prices were £955 in total with delivery, after postage my dad will get £795. what a bunch of rip off mongs
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:52 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I hadn't seen this, is this a new introduction? Was going to do a mass ebay listing session today, now not so sure.

I've just listed about 25 uni books on Amazon and their selling system is a lot better IMO.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stelmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold a set of leathers on Ebay.

Total amount in fees was £40. Paypal and Ebay both took a percentage of the price, plus the listing fee.

An utter con. I felt ripped off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading the ebay forums lately, seems a lot of people are equally pissed off.

Not sure what ebay are up to really!

Fairly high listing fees
10% final value fee
Forced free P&P on all items in certain categories
Forced payment by paypal
further 4% paypal fee

I have read something about paypal withholding payments for 21 days unless feedback is left or proof of delivery is provided, but not sure how true this is.

It's a shame really because Ebay have such a monoply with auctions, theres no real alternative, if you want to sell something you have no real choice but to sell on ebay so they can charge what they like and most people still have to use it.

But how they justify these costs I will never know!

Appararntly listing fees in USA are less than half of UK, as are the rest of the world.. why we're getting charged twice as much I will also never know! Brick Wall Brick Wall

I have more things I need to sell, trying to find alternatives to Ebay but failing!
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mrtEE
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:

Forced free P&P on all items in certain categories


There is a way round this that I always use-

eg if i have a laptop spare part to list I will list it in the laptop category rather than laptop components category, as laptops you are allowed to charge for postage in.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
There is a better way around it.

As you have to put at least 1 free postage, select the 'collect in person' for the free postage, then charge whatever for 1st class etc.

As for listing fee, start auctions with 99p start price, and listing is free. starting at 99p or £45, the auction will probably end at the same price (unless it is a unique item which only one person bids on)


The listing fee isnt the real problem, it's the 10% final value fee which you'll get whether you start at 99p or £45 Sad
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mrtEE
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
There is a better way around it.

As you have to put at least 1 free postage, select the 'collect in person' for the free postage, then charge whatever for 1st class etc.

As for listing fee, start auctions with 99p start price, and listing is free. starting at 99p or £45, the auction will probably end at the same price (unless it is a unique item which only one person bids on)


This is true, but once ebay find the loophole they will sort it out. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You what!?! Shocked
I've just stuck my bike on there and they're gonna want hundreds!
Bastards, will be cancelling the thing before it ends methinks, robbing gits.
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Major_Grooves
The Doctor



Joined: 10 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest they don't really want your business. They are trying to move away from being an auction site and more towards being a marketplace for retailers to sell good.s
____________________
About me|@Major_Grooves|My company|Digg|Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

carlperkins00...
Crazy Courier



Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive found that the best ways to get around ebay fees are to start the bidding at 99p, and only put one picture in. also if you write... "please message me your email adress for additional info on offers"..

you can sell it outside of ebay and sont have to pay final value fees.

NOTE: this only works with smaller items, ive sold my snowboard, leathers... etc like this.
probably wouldnt work with cars etc because you'd have to start them at 99p and might not get what you want for them.
this method is harder as you have to email all different people and stuff.. can get confusing. Laughing

yeah ebay is abit of a rip off...

gumtree is ok, takes ages though.

hope this helps people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:
To be honest they don't really want your business. They are trying to move away from being an auction site and more towards being a marketplace for retailers to sell good.s


So, what's the alternatives?

Confused
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:33 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

vee wrote:
You what!?! Shocked
I've just stuck my bike on there and they're gonna want hundreds!
Bastards, will be cancelling the thing before it ends methinks, robbing gits.


Motor fees are different, £35 maximum for the final value fee.

When I sold my bike I put it on as a classified. £12.99 insertion with no final fees, it's also on for 3 or 4 weeks instead os the usual 10 days.

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/motorfees.html
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:38 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

List your item cheap, tell people to contact you for any further details, make sure you leave plenty of details out so that people will mail you but still give enough detail to attract buyers. Sell the item outside of Ebay or mail interested parties to make you an offer.

Ebay get greedy = people cutting Ebay out of the deal.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:44 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:


So, what's the alternatives?

Confused


Other auction sites like ebid. Of course, no-one wants to use them cos they won't get as much money for their stuff, cos there aren't as many visitors as ebay. But they don't want to pay ebay the big chunk they demand, cos of their big audience...

Depends what you're selling really. I'm currently trying out Amazon Marketplace for some CDs and DVDs, which seems to be ticking along ok. Torn between Ebay and Autotrader for my GasGas, will probably pimp it around some forums first, just in case.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said earlier I have been using Amazon Marketplace, you don't get a quick sale but you often get more than you would on ebay (most certainly the case with books).

Instead of putting stuff on ebay I am also trying to get people to buy stuff through forums and the like.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold a 125 MZ on ebay few months back.

MZ sold for 51 quid on ebay, I was charged 20 pound in ebay fees for that one item!!!

Seriosuly not impressed, when I sold my DT fees were only like 35 and that sold for about 500 quid!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 83 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.98 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 134.72 Kb