Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hornets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Scouse
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 17 Jul 2009    Post subject: Hornets Reply with quote

I'm currently trying to sell the R6 to be able to purchase myself something different. I'm crossing all paths such as CBR4's, sv650's, supermoto's etc. One that I've spotted and quite like the idea of is the hornet 6, early model as I'm only looking to spend about £1200 max on my next bike.

Is there anything serious to look out for other than the usual?

Also am I setting my hopes too high for the type of bikes in question at my hopeful amount to spend?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 17 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if there's one bike I know about, it is the Hornet.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=137756&highlight=

Thumbs Up
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Scouse
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 17 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
Now if there's one bike I know about, it is the Hornet.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=137756&highlight=

Thumbs Up


Hmmm sounds like a bike that I could waste a lot of money on with susp', brake and performance mods. Thinking

Would I be better going for a half decent CBR/VFR4 and spending the change on tidying up issues?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 17 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I think with either a CBR or VFR4, you'd still want to upgrade the suspension/brakes if you want a fairly decent machine. £80 for springs, £10 for fork oil, £30 for braided lines and £10 for a -1 tooth front sprocket and you're laughing. Hornets are ace bikes. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nick606
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:03 - 17 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might know someone who's got one for sale ill try and find out the details for you if your interested ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J D
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 17 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of the r6?
____________________
m0l0t0v wrote: Chris, just so you know, JD is a nutter Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:23 - 18 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:


Hmmm sounds like a bike that I could waste a lot of money on with susp', brake and performance mods. Thinking

Would I be better going for a half decent CBR/VFR4 and spending the change on tidying up issues?


Suspension on the 400 will still be crap. Crapper than the hornet because it's older, and will have been thrashed by countless previous 18 year old oiks. Laughing
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Scouse
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 18 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdloyalroyal wrote:
Pics of the r6?


https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=66017
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J D
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:13 - 19 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polished rims? You tart Razz

Whats the mileage,any service history ect ect

Oh and price? Thumbs Up
____________________
m0l0t0v wrote: Chris, just so you know, JD is a nutter Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cptn. Awesome
Crazy Courier



Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:34 - 20 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
Scouse wrote:


Hmmm sounds like a bike that I could waste a lot of money on with susp', brake and performance mods. Thinking

Would I be better going for a half decent CBR/VFR4 and spending the change on tidying up issues?


Suspension on the 400 will still be crap. Crapper than the hornet because it's older, and will have been thrashed by countless previous 18 year old oiks. Laughing


Spot on. When I got my viffer I spent a few quid fixing some niggles on it like the fuel pipes were perishing and it needed an air filter. Also after a few month it needed and oil filter as the one on it got attacked by a stone and dented to the point at which it no longer formed a seal with the engine and cause oil to just drip out.

Even though I love my viffer I'd think the hornet would be easier to live with, plus there are after market parts galore on the interweb and most bike places probably stock the usual consumables, whereas with a VFR you gotta go to more specialist people like David Silver or hunt for breakers on eBay.
____________________
Rides - '60 Plate Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.25, '03 Plate Kawasaki ZX6R B1H and an '87 VFR400 NC24

Naughty Fawbish: "An eagle is but an eagle until the suns flare blinds his prey." - Fawbish, 2010.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.23 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 65.64 Kb