Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chilli growing thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:08 - 19 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
ARG! I had my chillis up on the flat roof of my garden shed to get the maximum sunshine to ripen them off. An enormous gust of wind has just blown them down onto the garden destroying the plants. This is what I have left Sad

They are supposed to be bright red serranos - any way to ripen them now or are they goners?

They will probably ripen. Leave them in a reasonably sunny place like you would any other slightly under-ripe fruit.

If you hang them up to dry, they'll almosty certainly go red as they do so. Ripening elsewhere, it's a bit of a race if they go dry and wrinkly before they redden up.

Leaving an over-ripe bananna near them will speed up the ripening process.

They look ripe enough to use green in any case. (Just in case you thought, like mrs stinkwheel did, that green and red peppers are different plants, not just differing stages of ripening)

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 23 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for you hot heads as Im a bit of a noob at this. I've grown four plants each of Serrano and F1s and now I've got LOADS. Even if I put chilli into everything I cook I will still have loads leftover.

What shall I do with the leftover ones? How do I go about drying them? Can I make a sauce?

daverave999
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:19 - 23 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are mine - mostly Aji Limon that's fruited well:
https://daverave999.com/pics/chillies20140821.jpg

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 23 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacker24seven wrote:
Question for you hot heads as Im a bit of a noob at this. I've grown four plants each of Serrano and F1s and now I've got LOADS. Even if I put chilli into everything I cook I will still have loads leftover.

What shall I do with the leftover ones? How do I go about drying them? Can I make a sauce?

Bag them up and put them in the freezer.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:49 - 06 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was listening to Bob Flowerdew on GQT on Radio 4 the other day. He'd been experimenting with his tomatoes and found that if you pick them as and when they ripen, the remaining ones ripen faster and the plant continues to fruit for longer.

In essence, the presence of ripe fruit inhibits the production of more.

On that basis, I've decided to harvest my chillis as they become ripe and freeze them in plastic take-away containers for each type instead of leaving them on the plant and using them fresh. Essentially not leaving them up there to show off to visitors. Shifty

So this is my first pre-harvest. The long slim Cayennes and red hot cherrys are from the mixed bag of seeds I bought this year. The scorps and Habanero aji Chombos are from last years overwintered plants. There are plenty of much larger, unripe fruits on there so I'm hoping removing these early, slightly stunted ones will bring them along.

Looking at the others, I think I have some satans kisses, early Jalapenos and fresnos ready to ripen. There may be a bhut jolika plant in there too. One plant is a lot slower getting going so I'll earmark it for overwintering if it does nothing this time around. That's what happened with the aji chombos and they've romped away this year.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/chillis%202013/CIMG1636_zpsdb71e103.jpg

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 27 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a steady flow.
The yellow ones were like green peppers before they ripened, but now lightly feisty.
The thin green ones I haven't tried yet...[currently chewing on one..Hmmm picked these too soon..Damn it]
https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/howlingterror_2006/e9390f1c-5fe5-4bd3-b37c-f97fe95884e3_zps99ecfeb7.jpg
https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/howlingterror_2006/A732DBC3-9AFF-4993-B176-B07CD44D0DDA_zpsx06drdvm.jpg
https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/howlingterror_2006/A916CA23-A2CF-45B9-985D-777FD479C683_zps1fhsaaj7.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CieL
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:04 - 28 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you didn't know about it...

Festival of Heat London - tomorrow (28/09/2014)

https://www.viewlondon.co.uk/whatson/festival-of-heat-london-article-12747.html

WizardofNos
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:52 - 28 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not know this post existed! Very Happy
I've brought some PETER PEPPER PENIS SEEDS!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Penis-chilli-pepper-seeds-chillies-salsas-PETER-PEPPER-PENIS-SEEDS-10-Seeds-/261480965257?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item3ce17ae489

cant wait to grow Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:14 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy fred resurrection.

Pete kindly gave me one of his plants, Serrano I think he said?

However, since getting it home one of the dark green ones has turned a real nice red whilst being left on my window ledge with low levels of sun, however its now moved into the warmest room in the house, around 21 degrees all day and sun facing so... heres hoping Mr. Green

With regards to watering etc, when should I be doing this, also Pete mentioned the seeds inside, that I should save and replant. Sorry for being a turnip but are they obvious to get and plant, I'd like to give it a go! Any specific times I should do this?

All help is appreciated Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 19 Oct 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I water when there's no spring left in the compost. If the leaves start to droop it's drying out so get it watered. I have found that the serranos don't mind over-watering, they lived through all that rain anyway.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 27 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the freezer with you.
https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/howlingterror_2006/6CA629BA-634B-421A-BC5A-044D39C68366_zps9xwsw58e.jpg

I'll try preserving the remainder in oil.
Tip: Incision to allow ingress of oil.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 02 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's involved in this 'over-wintering' I read about here? I'd like to preserve my plants for next year but I have no idea how to go about it. I have a couple with ripe chillis and one that still has green fruit on it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 02 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here Pete. Lots of little blighters I don't want to lose.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:33 - 03 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I overwinter mine by cutting them back fairly hard to maybe 18" high (this will vary with the type of chilli).

Essentially leaving the main, woody stems, branches and the leaves attached thereto then placinging them somewhere light as possible that is protected from frost. Watering only very occasionally, just enough to prevent them drying out.

Check there's no greenfly.

Once they start growing again in spring (temperature and light levels get above a certain point) I give them a damned good feed, consider potting them up if they look a bit rootbound and start watering more frequently.

Old fruit and flowers seem to inhibit new ones forming so if you want to leave fruit on for decoration over winter, take it off in the spring.

Just how I do it, this may not be "the" way to do it.

I chucked all my plants this year, I suspect I've carried greenfly over the last couple of years so I'm having a clear out.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:39 - 03 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

HT wrote:

I'll try preserving the remainder in oil.
Tip: Incision to allow ingress of oil.

Just saw this.

Careful you get everything up to temperature and well sealed. You can get strange and nasty bugs growing in oil-preserved chillis that could potentially make you very ill.

To be safer, do them in brine or vinegar or make "chilli oil" which is not the same thing as chillis preserved in oil. I've pickled sliced jalapeno and fresnos (like you put on nachos) this year. I did whole rokitas in brine last year.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 03 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. My first attempts at jam making were interesting before my Nan told me about boiling the jars.
I read that a dishwasher on full cycle does a good job on jars but not tested it myself.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 03 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
What's involved in this 'over-wintering' I read about here? I'd like to preserve my plants for next year but I have no idea how to go about it. I have a couple with ripe chillis and one that still has green fruit on it.

Stinkwheel has said it all, top advice.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:22 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

No chilli updates?

This year, I'm growing:

Super chillis. Had a good crop a few years back with them and they are excellent for drying. Going to try hardening some off for outside too.

Bangalore torpedos. Should ba able to harvest green and red for indian cooking.

Fresno. For pickling sliced for on pizzas/nachos etc. A bit like jalapenos but maybe a little hotter. I grew both last year and the fresno cropped better.

Peruvian lemon. Just for something a little unusual. I've never tried citrus chillis before.

All in the propogator. Planted on the 14th. I have germination of all types. The Supers are romping away as are the torpedos. The fresnos and lemons seem a little more delicate. I've had to open the covers up to drop the humidity because they're trying to grow hair-roots off the stems rather than drive down into the compost.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:47 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice?

I planted 10 Jalapeno seeds about a week ago, had 2x15mm shoots, 1x5mm shoot and one 3cm shoot which is much thicker, quicker growing and red.

Is it a different chilli?

Anyway, I am just keeping them on the window sill and watering every few days, should I keep going, and when will they need repotting?

Thanks Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:03 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:
Advice?

I planted 10 Jalapeno seeds about a week ago, had 2x15mm shoots, 1x5mm shoot and one 3cm shoot which is much thicker, quicker growing and red.

Is it a different chilli?

Anyway, I am just keeping them on the window sill and watering every few days, should I keep going, and when will they need repotting?

Thanks Very Happy

Could be a rogue chilli, or even a weed. If the plant they took the seeds from got cross-pollinated with a different variety of chilli, you could easily get a hybrid seed. ALso the people selling them in batches of 10 are often breaking down much bigger packs of seeds into small packets, could have got a different one mixed in.

You'll need to wait until they are bigger before you can decide what they are. I'd be tempted to pot up a rogue chilli just to see what I got.

To avoid weeds, I plant my seeds in a very deliberate pattern of evenly spaced pairs in a straight line. Many plants look very similar at the "two leaf" stage so it can be difficult to tell. If something grows off pattern, it's a weed.

I usually prick them out into small pots once they start their first pair of "proper" leaves (they get a pair of pointed leaves called the cotyledon when they germinate then grow a pair of proper chilli plant looking leaves above them). The root grows much quicker than the leaves would suggest.

I pot mine at around this stage (photo used before in this thread but way back):
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/chillis%202013/CIMG0939_zps6bdcba8e.jpg

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:15 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome reply! Thank you.

I have all 10 seeds in a tiny pot... I think I'll buy some small pots from poundland or something and a baking tray to water them.

The two green stems have a pair of tiny little leaves at the top, are these the cotyledon?

Also the red one, has a kind of rain drop tip, where the end is bent over. Does that help identifying it at all? Probably a weed to be honest, I just put them in compost from my garden.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:29 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:
Awesome reply! Thank you.

I have all 10 seeds in a tiny pot... I think I'll buy some small pots from poundland or something and a baking tray to water them.

The two green stems have a pair of tiny little leaves at the top, are these the cotyledon?

Also the red one, has a kind of rain drop tip, where the end is bent over. Does that help identifying it at all? Probably a weed to be honest, I just put them in compost from my garden.

Could be a bit of an issue there then depending on how small the pot is.

When you come to pot them up, you'll land up with a big, interwoven bundle of roots you can't seperate the individual plants out from.

It might be safer to bite the bullet, pick two or three (depending on the size of the pot) of the strongest and most widely seperated seedlings and pinch off the others. Then you get two or three strong plants to pot up rather than lose the lot.

Last year I used modules, two seeds per module and discarded the weaker of the two:
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/chillis%202013/CIMG0880_zps0d256049.jpg

This year, I've just planted eight seeds to each of those green seed trays.

The red one sounds very like rosebay willowherb but at this stage it's very difficult to tell.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:33 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The red one sounds very like rosebay willowherb but at this stage it's very difficult to tell.

I'll get a picture tonight if I go home.

Thanks for your advice Very Happy and if it hasn't been asked how do you make chilli oil, as opposed to chillis in oil?

And what chillis make the best oil, and would it be too late this year if I got some and planted them ASAP?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:01 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:

I'll get a picture tonight if I go home.

Thanks for your advice Very Happy and if it hasn't been asked how do you make chilli oil, as opposed to chillis in oil?

And what chillis make the best oil, and would it be too late this year if I got some and planted them ASAP?

I've never actually made chilli oil but I believe it's a case of heating your chosen oil with the cleaned, chopped chillis in it for 5-10 minutes, allowing it to cool then straining and bottling it. There will be numerous recipes online. I would suggest it's important to keep everything very clean, including sterilising the bottles. Some people blanch the chillis (by dropping them into boiling brine) first to sterilise the outside and avoid contamination.

As to which make the best oil. I like flavoursome but hot chillis so I'd probably try with something like a habanero aji chombo. That said, they are a bit less prolific with the fruit and less hardy. A lot of people seem to be using birds-eyes (hot but not much flavour in my oppinion).

The super chillis I'm growing again this year are very easy to grow, pretty hardy and are versatile for use fresh or preserved. It's a prize winning commercial F1 hybrid you can even buy in garden centres. Should even grow outdoors. Not a bad one for a first try in any case.

You should be fine planting them now.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 25 of 27