Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chilli growing thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 224 days between these two posts...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:39 - 09 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen this thread for a while.

Just done my first proper harvest this year.

Been picking odd ones here and there.

I've only grown eight plants this year.

Two Fresnos which have given me four jars of turbo-charged, pickled jalapeno substitutes for pizzas/nachos.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/chillis%202013/CIMG4395.jpg

Two Banglore torpedos and two peruvian lemons. Both moderately hot cooking chillis from the Indian and South American sub-continents for curries and chillis respectively. Freezing these.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/chillis%202013/CIMG4394.jpg

Two "super chilli" f1 hybrids, reasonably hot chillis which I'm going to dry for flakes and powder. These have fruited their heads off. Lots left to ripen after this traunche. I'm also going to see how the Peruvian lemons dry.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/chillis%202013/CIMG4397.jpg

That's about the lot for the fresnos and torpedoes. Lots of lemons and supers to come.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 283 days between these two posts...

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 19 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone harvesting this year?

Got 4 plants at the moment two of which are producing. The other two have yellowish leaves and live in the same plant pot. This is a sign of lack of neutriants no? If so, How do I battle it, what food is best, or is there a good 'around the house' alternative?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:19 - 19 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:
Anyone harvesting this year?

Got 4 plants at the moment two of which are producing. The other two have yellowish leaves and live in the same plant pot. This is a sign of lack of neutriants no? If so, How do I battle it, what food is best, or is there a good 'around the house' alternative?

Can also be a sign of them being potbound. Might need potting up to a bigger one.

Feed once a week with half strength tomato food. Check for greenfly.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 19 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only got 1 plant which is 'basket of fire' it's getting bigger and bigger and bigger, plenty of nice small reasonably hot chillis coming off it

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 19 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Can also be a sign of them being potbound. Might need potting up to a bigger one.

Feed once a week with half strength tomato food. Check for greenfly.

Potbound you say, this makes sense as they share the pot.

And tomato food, thanks! I will go source some.

someotherguy
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:22 - 22 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a how-to guide for ultra n00bs? I love chilis but every plant I've ever tried to grow has died Crying or Very sad

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 22 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmy wrote:
Is there a how-to guide for ultra n00bs? I love chilis but every plant I've ever tried to grow has died Crying or Very sad

This is it.

someotherguy
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:13 - 23 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to read every page Sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:59 - 23 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmy wrote:
I'm going to have to read every page Sad

You've got plenty of time to read them because you've got until February/March before you need to start thinking about planting.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 23 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK harvesting questions

Heres my chili plant, or one of;

https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbko1xigi.jpeg

When do I pick the fruit? And where do I cut it off from?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:52 - 23 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

When to pick it?

Depends if you want green or red chillis. What sort is it?

I have noticed that the presence of fruit on a plant can hold back development of more fruit so it might be better picked sooner. Just cut through the stem 1-2cm above the fruit with a pair of sharp scissors.

I'm not growing any this year (was too disorganised at the start of the year) but mine are usually in an 8 or 10 inch pot by now and about three times the size of that. Admittedly they get a lot of sun where I grow them and size will vary by the variety.

I normally water mine from the bottom (so put the water in a tray/saucer so the roots suck it up from the bottom of the pot). May be tricky to achieve in a jam jar.

You can't give them too much sunlight. If you have a south facing window you can put it in, do so.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 23 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I chose poorly when picking a pot. Might need to replant it.

Thanks for the further tips pal. Thumbs Up
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 23 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that makes sense, thanks for the heads up!

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:12 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I cant get my Peruvian lemon chilli plants to fruit/flower...

I started them in a propagator about 4 months ago and moved them to larger pots as they needed it. I've kept them between 20 and 30 degrees C since germination and they've been under grow lights the whole time.

They are all between 30 and 40cm tall but are only stem and leaves with no sign of flowers or fruit....

What am I doing wrong?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:53 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Peruvian Lemons were planted in February and harvested in October. Kept in a propogator then a heated, south facing porch that gets light all day. So they were getting shitloads of natural light all through the summer.

Mine were also a good 70-80cm tall in 8" pots.

You're expecting too much of them too quickly I think.

What you feeding them with? If there's too much nitrate and not enough potash, you'll grow lots of leaves and no fruit. Most people recommend half strength tomato feed once a week.

EDIT: Most people would be thinking about planting into a heated compost in the next month or so for "natural" chilli growing.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:24 - 09 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
My Peruvian Lemons were planted in February and harvested in October. Kept in a propogator then a heated, south facing porch that gets light all day. So they were getting shitloads of natural light all through the summer.

Mine were also a good 70-80cm tall in 8" pots.

You're expecting too much of them too quickly I think.

What you feeding them with? If there's too much nitrate and not enough potash, you'll grow lots of leaves and no fruit. Most people recommend half strength tomato feed once a week.

EDIT: Most people would be thinking about planting into a heated compost in the next month or so for "natural" chilli growing.

70-80cm?!?! Shocked

I think I'm definitely expecting too much too soon in that case.

I haven't given them any food at all yet as the leaf colour is the healthiest I've ever seen in a plant so thought I wouldn't bother but I will start doing tomato feed once a week.

How did you find freezing and drying affected the flavour?

And how many chillies did you get per plant?
I've got 8 plants with 2 plants per 25x8cm pots.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:34 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:

How did you find freezing and drying affected the flavour?

And how many chillies did you get per plant?
I've got 8 plants with 2 plants per 25x8cm pots.

Freezing affected flavour not a bit as long as you use them immediately on defrosting.

Dry chillies seem hotter in some ways, less flavourful in others, You wouldn't substitute a dried chilli for a fresh one, you would sub a frozen one in there.

At a guess, I was getting 25 or so fruits off each plant for the Peruvians. The picture above represents less than half the fruits I got from 2 plants.

Two fruits made a veggie chilli for about 8 people at new year. Two complained it was too hot and were told to take more sour cream and less guac (which had a trinidad scorpion in it Twisted Evil ), which seems a good target range.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:59 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Freezing affected flavour not a bit as long as you use them immediately on defrosting.

Dry chillies seem hotter in some ways, less flavourful in others, You wouldn't substitute a dried chilli for a fresh one, you would sub a frozen one in there.

At a guess, I was getting 25 or so fruits off each plant for the Peruvians. The picture above represents less than half the fruits I got from 2 plants.

Two fruits made a veggie chilli for about 8 people at new year. Two complained it was too hot and were told to take more sour cream and less guac (which had a trinidad scorpion in it Twisted Evil ), which seems a good target range.

Brilliant, sounds like I'll have a freezer brimmed with lemon chillies Laughing
How did you know when to pick your lemon chillies and do you have any other general tips for these specific plants?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:29 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked mine when they turned yellow. If you preferr green chillies, pick them just as they are starting to turn but you'd normally harvest these ones fully ripe.

You usually get one or two ripening first. If you leave them on, the rest seem to stay green until you've picked those (to a point anyway)

They were pretty hassle free plants but slower growing than some. Watch out for greenfly.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried growing jalapeño but they were not hot at all. I like hot but not totally mental macho torture burn off chillis, ideally pretty easy to grow from seed.

Something fruity but hot, for pizza or sandwiches, stir fry.
Any recommendations? I'll be planting soon.

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 10 Jan 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulgarian carrot chillies seemed pretty easy to grow, decent harvest and quite fleshy, fruity and a bit of heat (more than your basic jalapeño). Same with prairie fire but they're much smaller fruits and a fair bit hotter (lb for lb).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27