Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

should you hide biking from your parents?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Benjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:43 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: should you hide biking from your parents? Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm 19, I passed my module 1 and will be doing my module 2 next week. fingers crossed!

My dilemma is my parents will not allow me to have a motorbike under their roof, I cant afford to move out which they are fully aware of.

I have tried to reason with them many times, so my only choice is to do it behind their back, rent a garage away from home and keep all bike related stuff there.

Whats your opinion on this? Has anyone else done it? any tips or advice? is anyone against the idea?

Thanks Thumbs Up

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't hide it from them myself, I'd sit down and that whilst you take their feelings into account, it's something you really want to do and if moving out is what they want you to do, you'll do it regardless.

Hopefully they won't call your bluff.

What do you do, jobwise, that means you can't move out?

Tango675
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:18 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I neglected to tell my parents until they saw the bike in the back garden Smile

Luckly I moved out a long time ago, but parents are still the same.

Best approach is to tell them you are a crack head, farther of 5 babies by different mothers and want a sex change.

A week later tell them, you have given up smack, the babies where someone elses, you now love your willy again and you bought a motorbike. Chances are they will offer to pay the insurance!

Benjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:44 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Wouldn't hide it from them myself, I'd sit down and that whilst you take their feelings into account, it's something you really want to do and if moving out is what they want you to do, you'll do it regardless.

Hopefully they won't call your bluff.

What do you do, jobwise, that means you can't move out?

haha yeh i tried that, they did call my bluff unfortunately Rolling Eyes

I work as a graphic designer but I spend too much money on my track car and soon bikes to afford a mortgage or rent!

There must be someone who is hiding biking from the parents?!

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask them there reasoning behind the disapproval of riding a bike, its probably speel that theyve heard on tv, mates down the pub or in the paper.

Just go buy one, would they really be that immature to kick you out over it...?

buy a scooter or something, then 3 weeks later trade it in for a new R1 Thumbs Up

Steve.

yuri2085
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

They called your bluff but you dont have a bike? How is that possible?

Did you say 'ah i am getting a bike anyway' they said 'ok you are moving out' and then you went 'oh damn u called my bluff' ?!!

Benjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:03 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yuri2085 wrote:

Did you say 'ah i am getting a bike anyway' they said 'ok you are moving out' and then you went 'oh damn u called my bluff' ?!!

in short, yes pretty much! Laughing

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont have it under their roof. Park it on the street. Thumbs Up

My mum didnt want me to have a bike. I sat with her and she went through all the point about bikes she didnt like. I came back within seconds with a answer that made her worries totally redundant.

Why wont they let you have one? Your 19 not 9.............

and if you have a track car, surly that is more dangerous....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yuri2085
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjay wrote:
yuri2085 wrote:

in short, yes pretty much! Laughing

They were double bluffing you man. Dont get psyched out.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're 19 right. Well that gives you choices.
Either do what you want or do what someone else wants.
You can help ease their pain by going the belt-braces approach. i.e Proper kit and a Bikesafe or similar course after you've passed.

Pat
Also don't brag about your 1st mono/burnout/donut/endo or crash. They won't like that:lol:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: Re: should you hide biking from your parents? Reply with quote

Benjay wrote:

My dilemma is my parents will not allow me to have a motorbike under their roof, I cant afford to move out which they are fully aware of.

Tough one

You want to live under their roof, you play by the rules. Got enough money to spunk on bikes, you got enough money to move out. Perhaps you just don't want to move out because it means you can't afford to spunk money on stuff you just want to do on a whim. Harsh, but true most likely. Been there....

Your parents have a right to be concerned about your welfare, they may seem as if they're just trying to ruin your fun but to threaten to oust you from their house just because you want a bike is enough to show a) they care and b) they're worried

Maybe you should take their considerations to heart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RS125Lad
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:39 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never hid the fact of riding a bike to my mother and father , all there say is be very careful and say it's my life nothing there can do.

You seem a mature lad and are (19) but you really do have to make a choice here , personally I'd still go out and get the bike if I was you and tell them it's your life you will be very sensible take your time etc etc.

Why do they so badly not want you to have a bike?

Think of all the accidents in cars yet parents buy there son/daughter a sports car to a 17 year old.

It's up to you pal - best of luck in which ever choice you make I know what I'd be doing. Exclamation Wink

Benjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:37 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why they don't want me to have a bike is down to my dad crashing back when he was around my age (brake failure). I dont think my dad would mind that much but he just agrees with whatever my mum says Rolling Eyes

My parents used to be medics in the raf, so apparently they have seen the bad side of riding.

My mums constantly telling me stories of riders with there limbs hanging off, which if I'm honest doesn't bother me. People crash cars to the same effect, yes its less likely but theres a risk in everything. You just need to manage the risk to the best of your ability.

I understand its dangerous but my uncle has been riding all his life and he is now in his 40's. My mum just says he is extremely lucky and his days are numbered. There is no getting through to her! If anyone else has ex-military parents you will understand with how stubborn they are Laughing

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man up, go buy a bike and plonk it in the garden looking all shiny and new.

DONT buy something that looks like a bullet, buy something that looks like it will be a bit slow and like "Nice" not "Fun" if you catch my drift.

HTH

CaNsA

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if they are ok with you horseriding, chanses are they will say yes. Then start the, horseriders are 20% more likely to be injered than motorcyclists. Thumbs Up

rus_racer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:49 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Re: should you hide biking from your parents? Reply with quote

Benjay wrote:
Hi all! I'm 19, I passed my module 1 and will be doing my module 2 next week. fingers crossed!

I have tried to reason with them many times, so my only choice is to do it behind their back, rent a garage away from home and keep all bike related stuff there.

Whats your opinion on this? Has anyone else done it? any tips or advice? is anyone against the idea?

Thanks Thumbs Up

Here's a translation of what your parents are saying:
- "we'll dis-own you if you ever get a bike(at home or elsewhere)"
What they are actually saying is:
-"we think bikes are dangerous and we want you to be safe. since we don't know how else to make you understand that"

The absolute worse thing you can do is go behind their back...

When I got my license my mom told me she'll kick me out of the house if she ever sees me on the bike(I was 20, still in Uni.).
Few months later I went out and hired CBR250RR (in Australia). She just frowned but didn't say anything. I got my proper bike (due to finances) at 27.

Your parents want to see that you are serious, safe and careful, so it might be best to book a training/track weekend and bring your parents with you. They will see that you are serious about biking, and they will talk to other bikers/instructors about you... Make sure you have full gear all the time, and NEVER go with your mates. In the end they most likely they will still say the same thing...

Next step might be to hire or buy a bike, but it's judgment call only you can make. I wouldn't get something big or flash!

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was riding a scoot when i was 20ish,

stopped riding for a couple of years then got a Honda Cityfly 125 when i was 26. I had moved out (been kicked out) before this but my mom was glad i got something that looked quite calm and responsible.

https://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/cansaxbm/04062009098.jpg

rode it for 2 or 3 years then sold it earlier this year cos i got my full licence and got this.

https://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/cansaxbm/07062009111.jpg

Cos i hadnt had an accident EVER (touches my own wood Wink ) mom knows that i will be careful and stuff like that.

Your olds prolly arent concerned that you you will be a nutter, but that know how stupid other people on the road can be.
Stick with a 125 for a while, until you get your "spidey sense" then get a bigger bike innit.

Peace out

CaNsA

wizzzard
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as a parent while ever you are in their house it would be wrong and disrespectful to deceive them.

Speaking as a biker If you can afford to get one and keep it somewhere else then what they dont know wont hurt them Wink

Just bear in mind they are likely to go ape shit if they find out somehow so keep asking them while you are living there (even if you already have the bike ) and if they still wont give in then move out as soon as you are able Thumbs Up

And welcome to BCF Very Happy

carlperkins00...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:34 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be very impractical to hide biking, to hide all the gear and bike is just rediculous. your 19 so you could do all your tests and what-not without them knowing..
then go buy a bike without her knowing...

then go home and say.. mum, im sorry you dont want me to have a bike, but im 19 im entitled to do what i want. biking is safer than people think and im a mature guy..
guage her reaction and then say.. mum, my new bike is outside.
if shes so enraged that you have bought your own bike that she kicks you out say.. mum, your acting like a kid, would you throw out your own son??
then leave, come back about 3 hours later when she has calmed down and she should be ok with it.

this works, a mate of mine did this and was fine. a mothers natural instincs is to protect her son, remind her that you are more likely to get beaten up and raped on the streets than hurt on the bike! Thumbs Up Laughing

good luck fella!

Benjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:13 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlperkins001 wrote:
it would be very impractical to hide biking, to hide all the gear and bike is just rediculous. your 19 so you could do all your tests and what-not without them knowing..
then go buy a bike without her knowing...

then go home and say.. mum, im sorry you dont want me to have a bike, but im 19 im entitled to do what i want. biking is safer than people think and im a mature guy..
guage her reaction and then say.. mum, my new bike is outside.
if shes so enraged that you have bought your own bike that she kicks you out say.. mum, your acting like a kid, would you throw out your own son??
then leave, come back about 3 hours later when she has calmed down and she should be ok with it.

this works, a mate of mine did this and was fine. a mothers natural instincs is to protect her son, remind her that you are more likely to get beaten up and raped on the streets than hurt on the bike! Thumbs Up Laughing

good luck fella!

haha risky approach, might just work though Very Happy

I was hoping everyone would say 'yehhhh everyone does it, who cares' I suppose I'm just seeking approval for a bad idea.

Saying that I was reading up on ewan mcgregor lately and he hid his passion for biking for 2 years! Laughing

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgiveness is easier to get than approval Smile

But what carl said is your best bet Thumbs Up

ClaireBear
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:38 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I went through the exact same question about a month ago! I knew my dad would be fine with it but my mum would not take it well at all! I decided to hint at a few bikes when we were in the car together- just saying ooh look at that one lol and then I told them and it went down like a ton of bricks!
Im 21 so not much she can do really, bought myself a nice jacket and gloves, passed the theory so she knows Im serious - just make sure you prove that you are going to be sensible and wear protective clothing. Also when they dig at you when they are watching tv and a biker has fallen off- just say it was their stupidity for not wearing the right gear or going too fast lol
Good luck!

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ana high viz vest Thumbs Up my mum still thinks I wear mine. Keeps her mind at rest.

Clique
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my parents said the same thing. The first they knew of it was when mother opened my post and saw that my pink license had come through. Naturally they were pretty pissed off and dad didn't speak to me (he came round after a couple of months). In short, I called their bluff!

Me being me, I made things a little worse. The first time I pulled up to the house to show them my bike, I'd stopped at a friends to cover myself in cotton wool and bubble wrap first....

carlperkins00...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:53 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

clique... i bet you looked a rite tw*t on the ride between your mates and yours haha Laughing

A+ for effort though!! Thumbs Up Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 243 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4