Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

should you hide biking from your parents?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

FatMikeUK
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:16 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be careful about hiding a bike from them, it could go very, very wrong if they found out your lying to them. having said that I'm currently doing my tests and my parents don't know, although I will definetly let them know before I actually go out and buy a bike.

Hopefully they should be more or less OK with it. I know my dad had a little 125 way back when, and my mum used to do show jumping with horses which is probably more dangerous (after all a bike won't throw you off because it's feeling a bit arsey)! Besides they're pretty liberal and usually quite cool about most things we do.

If I was to hide it I'm sure it would end with the "We're not mad, just disappointed..." speech which is always so much worse. Sad

Clique
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlperkins001 wrote:
clique... i bet you looked a rite tw*t on the ride between your mates and yours haha Laughing

A+ for effort though!! Thumbs Up Very Happy

Too right I looked like a tit. It wasn't my parents reaction I was nervous about, I was more worried about getting pulled over!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:05 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

well mate, i didnt hide my first bike, they didnt seem to mind if im honest, was a honda clr125..pictured above too Smile after the 7th crash on it they obviously hoped i wouldnt touch a bike again..

8 months later picked up a cbr125 Razz parents went nuts saying i cant have it there, dont ride it at all..blah blah!!
Had a laugh on that for 2 months and sold it for a profit, parents seemed happy again.

Now i tell them ive done my full test...and have bought a bigger bike..well say tell them, dad sees me working on "my friends bike"
instantly assumes..voila me = in shit Razz

dont hide it..comes off worse!

Still cruising round on my current bike, with all the gear on, dont care how stupid/tight it looks...if it saves my ass and keeps a roof over my head!

HTH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carlperkins00...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:27 - 02 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with the whole.. "its easier to get forgivness than permission"

if you agree to use all the safety precautions like hi-viz vest, full leathers etc... then just not bother.

i never had this trouble though, i only had to argue with my parents for about a week when i was 16. then they gave in.
i was a lucky one Thumbs Up Very Happy

Quote:
Too right I looked like a tit. It wasn't my parents reaction I was nervous about, I was more worried about getting pulled over!

HAHA! Thumbs Up Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:03 - 02 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to getting a sensible bike, i was looking at getting a ninja 250r but at 6.3" i found it a tad cramped when i sat on one in the showroom.

So looking towards getting a 600cc and restricting it for 2 years, that way it wont feel like a monkey bike Wink What is the best supersport to start off with restricted, zx-6r any good?

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 02 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fail if your pearents were a bit unhappy with you getting a bike the sportsbike option isnt a good way IMO.

I would lean to a naked bike. Hornets FTW

but might need to take that into concideration as they will only have seen these sports bikes going round corners knee down and coming out of it on the back wheel.

carlperkins00...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:46 - 02 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to ThatHornet Thumbs Up
supersports isnt a good idea atall haha.

I'd go with a naked bike like.. Hornet, Bandit, SV.. etc..
the idea of supersports is that you use them to race, dont think your parents will be too chuffed about that when they dont even want you on 2 wheels.

haha just my Penny Coin Penny Coin though.

good luck fella Thumbs Up Very Happy

Benjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:59 - 02 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really a fan of how naked bikes look....Unless is a triumph street triple Dance! do they count?

Thanks for all the replies! After reading, I think the best option would be to respect my parents and move out. Thumbs Up

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 02 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjay wrote:
not really a fan of how naked bikes look....Unless is a triumph street triple Dance! do they count?

Thanks for all the replies! After reading, I think the best option would be to respect my parents and move out. Thumbs Up

like fuck it dose! Mr. Green

what a awesome bike.

Biking or moving out. Hummm I would choose bikes Thumbs Up

carlperkins00...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:20 - 02 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjay wrote:

cowards way out! your 19! Laughing
politely tell them to f*ck off.. then buy a bike. haha

DizzyH
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:59 - 02 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Benjay, why dont you talk to each of them (separately preferably) and say you dont want there to be something you can't talk to them about and you don't want to lie to them which is your other option but tell them that if they would rather you didnt discuss it with them you will respect that and if they still really feel that they want you to move out then you will respect that too (obviously along with the other great advice about getting good kit and a bike that doesnt put the fear of god into them!)

I should think by the time you leave a few well placed papers about with ringed adverts for flats they will start to change their mind!

Good luck -if you get stressed -dont forget -just hum a happy tune! Very Happy

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 00:24 - 03 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naked bikes look less intimidating that faired ones. ZX6's etc. look fast.

What track car have you got?

My and my Friends nakeds, a Honda Hornet and a Triumph Speed Four

https://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs149.snc1/5540_95836198475_512803475_1974026_4598970_n.jpg

https://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs129.snc1/5540_95836178475_512803475_1974023_4092909_n.jpg

swanny
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:22 - 03 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatHornet wrote:
Oh ana high viz vest Thumbs Up my mum still thinks I wear mine. Keeps her mind at rest.

mums love them!

Reet..

Basically when i was 17, i was in the same boat.. didnt fancy driving ( although i was paying for lessons), as it cost too much, and Mum was going on about bikes being "unsafe".

Actually got mugged at knife point walking back home from work one night..

Pointed out to my mum that on a bike that wouldnt have happened ( really upset at the time ), and she agreed, they both saw it as in my eyes then that Yes bikes are unsafe, but end of the day walking down the street isnt really safe and we have to all live life.

One tip.. is if you do go looking at bikes.. look at things like er5's cb500's etc, as someone mentioned they dont look as threatening, and if your mum see's you looking at something like that or bringing home something relativly tame, its going to go down better than bringing home a ninja, thats got a rep for being a fast bike..

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 03 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mum doesn't mind me riding a ZX6R, she didn't like me having an RS125 though as it's "too unreliable".

EUMP
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:02 - 03 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parent's will always be worried for you at first mate and it'll just die down after time - just be careful on the road, sit them down and talk about the advantages of owning a motorcycle such as cheaper insurance, road tax being £15, quicker to neogiate traffic - etc etc Smile

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 03 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Naked bikes look less intimidating that faired ones. ZX6's etc. look fast.

What track car have you got?

My and my Friends nakeds, a Honda Hornet and a Triumph Speed Four

https://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs149.snc1/5540_95836198475_512803475_1974026_4598970_n.jpg

Naked bike whorage Laughing

https://www.facebook.com/profile/pic.php?uid=AAAAAQAQzgfr_TMRMfSetjZ61ZkAPAAAAAn1Ag_OSVIpnz9B1znkyFAp

Benjay
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:28 - 03 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...It all came to fore today.

We all sat down to have a conversation to find some 'common ground' I mentioned everything you guys have said about being safe, wearing the right gear etc.

After alot of heated discussion and arguing at times. My mum has agreed to let me have a motorbike under their roof which i'm frankly amazed by!

I feel kind of bad and upset for my mum though, she was crying her eyes out when she said i could have a bike.

I now feel a major responsibility to ride safe and go on advance course's because it made me realize how much my parents care for me.

But apart from the soppy stuff... YEHHHH motorbikes!!!!! Very Happy

Big thanks for everyone who gave there advice, really helped Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

That_Hornet
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 03 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Hoo

Good on ya mate. Soon you'll be taking her pillion. Thumbs Up

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 03 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, to your Mum Thumbs Up

Ride well

Pat
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DizzyH
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:59 - 03 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done that man -definitely beats lying to them! Your mum will come around in time when she sees you in all your high viz stuff (Ahem, cough cough! Wink )

Stay safe Very Happy

KangyRew
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:57 - 03 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a bit late, but hey, I just joined the forum, and thought my first post should be better than the usual, trivial "hi, i'm andrew and i like motorbikes. =)"

Anyway, I was relatively lucky. For years, growing up, I was never allowed to look at bikes, think of bikes, or even smell bikes! However, as I grew older, started hitting 16/17, and getting interested in cars, I decided quite early on that I wanted a bike, as well.

Here's the helpful part - because I've known since I was 14 yrs old that I wanted to be a Mechanical Engineer, my parents have always known me to be interested in car engines, and bike engines, and stuff like that. So, when I passed my driving test, and got my first car, it was basically a case of telling my parents that "Here's the deal... I'm interested in engines. I'm not gonna be mucking about and trying to kill myself. I want to get my HGV license when I'm older, I have my car license, I think it's only right that I'm allowed to get my motorcycle license as well."

After about a week of my dad putting his foot down, he reluctantly agreed for me to get my CBT. I got that, and was HOOKED.

I passed my test after only 3 lessons, the instructor said I had a natural ability, and I've waited a year to get a bike. I'm only home for like, 3 months of every year, so I explained to my parents that I'd prefer to have a bike in Edinburgh, because Rush Hour traffic and early morning classes don't mix when you have to drive/get a bus!

My dad started really getting into the idea of me getting a bike a couple of months ago, asking me if I fancied looking at Bandits [which i seriously want!], and then told me he was very happy for me to have a bike, as long as I don't act like a tit.

So, I've just bought my first bike, a Honda NTV 600 Revere, 1989 model, and I'm happy as a pig in muck! Bought it with a screwed caliper, but from a guy who lived next door to my granny. My dad and I, with a bit of help from a guy I know who's a bike mechanic, sorted the caliper and put on new indicators, polished her up, and got the tax and insurance today. I'm £270 per year for insurance, TPFT, and plan on keeping my baby for a LONG time! Probably gonna spray her some sexy colours, though!

Anyway, I'm glad the OP's parents finally came round, it's definitely for the best. I'm just lucky my parents were so understanding - in fact, two of my three brothers, and my mother, are all going for their licenses, too!

Very Happy

Roo.

ClaireBear
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:42 - 04 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! Wish my parents were as easy to crack lol Just make sure you take care now to prove to them that you were right all along! Well done! lol Very Happy

carlperkins00...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:51 - 04 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

more naked bike pic whoring..

https://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af151/carlperkins001/DSC00626.jpg

https://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af151/carlperkins001/DSC00628.jpg

https://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af151/carlperkins001/DSC00625.jpg

Well done for convincing the parents..
toptip, dont fall off or have any accidents, ride safe for the first few months. if you have a near miss... dont tell the parents.
and dont say things like.. oh mum i saw a guy pull an awesome wheelie..

say.. mum i saw a guy pull a wheelie, what a bellend!

Rufus
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:52 - 04 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i worked my parents in early. told em every week for about 5 years i was gonna get one and in the end they gave up Cool mum even goes on the back now and then.

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:00 - 04 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mum wont be worried about you if you get one of THESE...
https://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/38b701373e.jpg

Actually, on second thoughts... Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4