Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


X3: Terran Conflict et al

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Phil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:35 - 04 Sep 2009    Post subject: X3: Terran Conflict et al Reply with quote

I stumbled on this game yesterday having never really heard a great deal about it, it seemed to be my kind of game so quickly downloaded the demo only to realise that it's the kind of game that requires some time to settle into.

Reviews have been mixed, some saying it's quite buggy, others it's very immersive.

It's been out for almost a year now and all the reviews i find are for the game at the point of it's initial release which doesn't take into account of all the patched since then.

Does anyone play this game? Is it worth investing time into figuring out how to play it?

I read there's alot of user generated content for it, is that just a nice gimmick or is there actual good stuff to download?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:46 - 04 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me X2 was a far better game, granted X2 wasn't nearly as advanced as X3 but it had a playable story line and the bugs were minimal.

I had major issues with X3, could barely get it to run and my PC is more than capable of dealing with the game. I also didn't like the story line much, it was a bit vague in areas as to what you were supposed to be doing. That and not being able to dock in stations pissed me off no end.

But if the making money in space side of things is anything like X2 then it should be very immersive and a lot of fun, whilst being really challenging. I got tired of X2 after a while after I worked out how to make money without depending on the AI ships and it got a bit dull after that.

From what I played of X3 it looked awesome, but it just didn't feel right after playing as much of X2 as I did.
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 05 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found similar things with X3, I bought a 2007 game of the year version, and it was fully patched, and apart from a few texture glitches up close to big ships I found it fine. Despite every review giving 2 starts out of 5 saying its too buggy to play.

There is no tutorial, the simplest manual is 100 odd pages long (and there are several to be had), and in my opinion the interface is poor.
Although I preferred the ship control method compared to freelancer, and from what I understand they have incorporated a freelancer style control method into Terran conflict.

To say the learning curve is steep, would be unfair. It's pretty much just a 50ft high vertical wall.

People talk about depth, and i'm sure its there, but strip away the graphical interface and you could have depth in a pile of spreadsheets as that is essentially what this is, buy low, sell high, and spend hours flying across the galaxy to deliver it and getting ambushed by annoying triangles.

Never got as far as chartering AI ships for my business, in fact never got as far as doing anything of note, as everything is so vague, and I hate reading manuals online (paper manuals I can deal with happily).

The fact that to dock with a station you simply stick rigid in space outside it, from a game that claims to be such a graphical masterpiece is a bit of a joke. When are we going to see these games where you can dock properly (manually) and then get out and walk around.

The 'galaxy' is something like 240 zones, which 4 jumpgates in either corner, a generic spacey background i.e. with a planet that you never get any closer to, and loads of floating crap in between, and all the zones might as well be exactly the same.

Quote:
Is it worth investing time into figuring out how to play it?


I tried and failed and I would say probably not, unless you really love this space trading with a bit of combat thrown in genre. I've tried several now, and they really dont hit the spot for me personally.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.93 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 39.3 Kb