Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Use of clutch

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

That-Kid-O
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:00 - 04 Sep 2009    Post subject: Use of clutch Reply with quote

So off I was today riding a 33BHP 600cc.

I noticed the throttle can only be opened halfway or so, this means the restriction is in the throttle...

HOWEVER

Boy does it fly when you touch that throttle. I just wanted to know how to keep the bike smooth in traffic/gradients because I am using the clutch a hell of a lot to deliver power as I keep the revs going to smoothly apply the power to the rear wheel.

Is this causing damage to the clutch or isit the normal thing todo in stop/go/stop/go situations in 1st....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:20 - 04 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty normal, but the more and more you ride the better you'll get at getting the revs exactly right to take more of strain off of the clutch. This means the throttle has to be exactly where it's supposed to be or as close to it as possible ABOVE where it's supposed to be. As you start to release the clutch you start to feel how much higher the revs are as to where they should be, and as you feel this you can start decreasing the throttle to much more smoothly get to engaging the gear more quickly

I manage to do this on my bike now almost every time but your bike has far more power so I imagine it being harder at first.

I hope I've done a good job of explaining... This is just what I've managed to pick up by myself.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

That-Kid-O
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:29 - 04 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexio wrote:
It's pretty normal, but the more and more you ride the better you'll get at getting the revs exactly right to take more of strain off of the clutch. This means the throttle has to be exactly where it's supposed to be or as close to it as possible ABOVE where it's supposed to be. As you start to release the clutch you start to feel how much higher the revs are as to where they should be, and as you feel this you can start decreasing the throttle to much more smoothly get to engaging the gear more quickly

I manage to do this on my bike now almost every time but your bike has far more power so I imagine it being harder at first.

I hope I've done a good job of explaining... This is just what I've managed to pick up by myself.


Yh I understand mate, its a CBR600RR and I picked it up today. Was nervous at the start but after about 45 mins of riding it (split into 3 sessions) I feel I am already getting better and better at adapting to it.

I did stall twice though in traffic during take-off (luckily no1 made a beep lol) and one being on a hill start Thumbs Down I didnt panick and cliked into neutral, started up, clicked into 1st and off i went Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:37 - 04 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. You'll get used to where the throttle is supposed to be soon enough Thumbs Up

Often you can just keep the clutch partially engaged until you get the revs to where you know they should be... and then remember where that place is supposed to be! Quite a fun trial and error process.
____________________
will never give up his CG. I look at my fuel gauge more as a progress bar than a fuel gauge.
G: With my GSXR I do often effectively use it as a scooter with a clutch in town.
ms51ves3: why does it need 500 miles? Are you teaching it how to be a piston?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:54 - 04 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember you don't have to twist the throttle to the stop to set off.

Should be able to do it with only the slightest movement of the throttle, and still cream all but the hardest tryers at the traffic light GP.

Think less about the clutch and more about the amount of throttle used Thumbs Up
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:29 - 04 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Kid- O, you managed to wait until the second post before mentioning it was a CBR600RR Rolling Eyes
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J D
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 04 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has he bought a CBR600RR then? Thinking

Still at least in this thread someone asked what bike it was....... Oh wait no they didnt . Rolling Eyes
____________________
m0l0t0v wrote: Chris, just so you know, JD is a nutter Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.84 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 53.98 Kb