Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Making an anti-vibration mount for GPS, phone, camera?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:01 - 09 Sep 2009    Post subject: Making an anti-vibration mount for GPS, phone, camera? Reply with quote

I'm looking to make a vibration damping mount to house a GPS, maybe 2, possibly my phone and maybe to hold a camera.
The camera wouldn't be recording, but I might want to hold a bullet camera on the same thing.
This would probably be mounted on the handlebar mounts.

I will probably also make a 'control box', with a few extra controls (maybe headlight switch for a start as it's permanently on, any extra lighting, etc), charging points and maybe audio leads.

Any suggestions, considerations, etc?
I'm thinking some rubber-mounted bits, but still not sure where and how so far as there's plenty of places I could put the rubber mounts.
This is an example of another one, but I want mine to do more and be betterer. Same handlebar mount design, though that isn't my bike pictured despite the description.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:06 - 10 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's it going on? As in, what's the bike? I've got a ram mount on the bars of my Bandit, and it's fine: the camera doesn't shake about, and the footage is only prone to vibrations from crap road surfaces.
Failing that, it might eb worth using the rubber mounts that you suggested: I'd go for some of those collar-style ones that have a hole through the middle - kinda like a cross between a polo mint and a capital H in profile...

See if you can get hold of an RS catalogue, and have a root through it - they've got damn near everything that you could ever want for making up useful electronic and small mechanical components.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:20 - 10 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going on a 690 Enduro.
Grommit's is what you're talking about and that's what I'm thinking.

I'm thinking I'll add some longer threaded bolts through the 4 'bar mount' points. Then have a platform on there, with a rubber gromit on each mounting point. Use bolts and big washers to hold the gromits in place.

Maybe further from that add another bit of metal on this plate which is further rubber mounted. My Road Angel GPS mount is only held on with cable ties, so could easily just cable tie this with some foam behind the mount to help further damp vibrations.
Not sure about whether I'm going to have further GPS devices (probably garmin) and if so which.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 10 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the 690 have any kind of dash to speak of? I've put a ram mount on the dash of my 950 (pic) and it doesn't seem to suffer from vibes too much, less than it would on the bars I imagine. It also means it's in my line of sight, so I don't have to look down to see it and can still read it easily if I'm riding standing up. When I first rigged it up the vibes were enough to mark my GPS unit but not enough to give me any problem reading it whilst riding. I've since glued a couple of patches from a pushbike puncture repair kit inside the cradle itself which has reduced the vibes to zero.

There's a pretty much limitless selection of configuration options with the RAM mounts (gpsw.co.uk) and most of the parts are pretty cheap, certainly compared to touratwat stuff, so you aren't going to be fussed about making mods to suit your needs. I'm pretty sure I've seen arms with multiple mounting points, so you could have more than one gadget attached to a single point without much hassle.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:52 - 10 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't see that well, but this bike looks rather like mine:
https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk37/mhsnowy/IMG00023-20090713-1505.jpg

I'm a bit suspicious of RAM mounts - especially as I'll be mounting quite a few bits too it.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 10 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get hold of sticky back fairly thick foam (could be cut down with a stanley) if it's any help, for faweeeee.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 7 years, 290 days between these two posts...
icebreaking This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1