Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Triumph Daytona 650

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 06 Oct 2009    Post subject: Triumph Daytona 650 Reply with quote

I have done some searching on here, but not really come up with anything definitive.

I have finally decided to get bike test done, and originally was looking at getting a VFR400 NC30, slightly put off these, I know they are good bikes, but I also know the converters for changing the bike to mph are like rocking horse poo to get, I know its a silly thing, but I dont really want to look out for one that has this done, or look out for the kit etc.

Now, whilst at a bike shop the other day, they had a Daytona 650 union jack edition in there, had a sit on it, and it just felt good ( I dont have my bike test done so could not ride it) and could potentially be in budget, and the insurance is fairly cheap aswell from the rough quotes I have done.

I have spoken to, two people about this bike and have been told to avoid as they are quite gutless, but the one person I know probably has never ridden one, and the other is 6.4 and a body to match, he looks the the right size on an Aprillia RSV Mille, a bike I cant even tiptoe the floor on and it frankly crushes my balls.

So the only two people that have given me advice, is one who probably hasnt ridden one, and one who was probably a bit to big for one.

I have read alot of reviews, watched loads of video reviews and everyone seems to love it, but thats bike reviewers who are going to be biased, well they are not going to say that the bike is complete crap steer clear of it.

So as a first bike goes, and as far as bikes go, am I letting myself in for any hardships? Should I stear clear of them?

I love the look of them, and it did feel very right between my legs, but I do trust my one mate who has ridden bikes including the Daytona and has been riding for around 15 years

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 21:12 - 06 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutless compared to what? An RSV? Hell yeah. A VFR400/CBR600? Nope.

They are a good bike, nice and solid with a decent amount of power and the finest front end of any of the 600's from that time.

Ignore them both, go buy it if you like it and make your own mind up. Be honest, are you really going to be able to use any 600+ bike to it's full potential before you get bored of your first bike and swap it anyway?

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 21:13 - 06 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're a very good, all round bike. From what I've heard, the brakes and suspension are up there with the best the Japanese had to offer at the time.

Triumph bored out their inline four engine to 650cc as their first 600 was a little down on power in comparison to the competition. It's still a 600 (class of bike), so isn't going to break any speed records, but wouldn't refer to one as being gutless.

Book a test ride and see for yourself - but also take note of what other 600s you could get for similar money. And don't discount unfaired bikes like Hornets and Fazers in that mix - make ideal first big bikes in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 06 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to the nay-sayers, they are a good bike!

The only reason they are rated poorly by magazines such as fast bikes etc, is becuase when they came out, the other big japanese manufacturers were focusing on all out track power, whereas the daytona 600/650's are less so, which make them much comfier on the roads!

Brakes are good, handling is great. Too be honest, if your not an advanced track rider, you won't get any difference from using a more focused machine - my brother could keep up with me on my 675 with him on his 600.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 06 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the point I was making compared to the RSV its fairly slow, but he also compared it to his GSXR 600, but the GSXR does nothing for me, I dont see many Daytonas about, they look superb.

What my one mate seems to forget is I dont weigh much, so a 650 should be a fairly pokey machine for someone like myself

Only reason I am asking is because the reviews I have read and seen, they dont call it a bad bike at all, and mention how good its handling is, but I would like some actual owner experience

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 06 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:
That was the point I was making compared to the RSV its fairly slow, but he also compared it to his GSXR 600, but the GSXR does nothing for me, I dont see many Daytonas about, they look superb.

What my one mate seems to forget is I dont weigh much, so a 650 should be a fairly pokey machine for someone like myself

Only reason I am asking is because the reviews I have read and seen, they dont call it a bad bike at all, and mention how good its handling is, but I would like some actual owner experience

It's not low on power or gutless atall, trust me, it will keep up with 600's without much trouble.

My brother had one for nearly a year, and as mentioned, I have the newer 675 model, and at no point was he left standing by me, either on brakes, handling or speed.

Ignore people stupid comments, especially if they come from a GSXR owner, as they believe (wrongly) that the GSXR is the ultimate for everything Laughing

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 21:30 - 06 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

He's probably forgotten that with any bike over 80bhp or so, it's the rider that's the main factor in a bike's performance, rarely the bike itself. So a lot comes down to pub bragging rites, what's fashionable, brand loyalty, occasionally misleading bike journo reviews, favorite colours, or what everyone else thinks.

Give the Triumph a test ride, then see if you can blag a go on his Gixer. Then slag his bike off for looking ugly in comparison to the Daytona.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 06 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesnt have GSXR, he has an RSV Mille at the moment, but going back to GSXR 750?

I cant blag a test ride as I dont have a bike license yet Sad

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 22:43 - 06 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:
He doesnt have GSXR, he has an RSV Mille at the moment, but going back to GSXR 750?

I cant blag a test ride as I dont have a bike license yet Sad

If you don't have a licence I doubt there is a 600 on the planet that will feel guttless.

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 06 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment on the bike itself as I've never ridden one, the 650s have always struck me as a little over priced for what they are though? Personally I'd lean towards one of the 636 era Kawasaki ZX6r variants.

chris-red

PostPosted: 23:18 - 06 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seb wrote:
Can't comment on the bike itself as I've never ridden one, the 650s have always struck me as a little over priced for what they are though? Personally I'd lean towards one of the 636 era Kawasaki ZX6r variants.

The TT600 D600/650 and Speed Four have one of the best handling chassis's of the time. The S4 won Best handling bike in the ride power survey a few years back.

The Valmoto Daytona's did pretty well on when racing and even won a IOMTT class I think.

The 650 is the best bike of the bunch, more mid range than the 600, hence why they are dear.

They are comfy and fast.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 06 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good info so far, nothing to dissuade me from getting one, they aren't like the VFR with a funny size wheel are they?

chris-red

PostPosted: 23:51 - 06 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:
Some good info so far, nothing to dissuade me from getting one, they aren't like the VFR with a funny size wheel are they?

Nope both 17" 120 at the front 180 at the rear.

Also if you do get one I had a carbon fibre yoke cover for on, £10 posted if you want, I bought it for the S4 but the yokes are different.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what that is

chris-red

PostPosted: 00:26 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:

https://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww4/IrishComet250/0712092001a.jpg

It's carbon, it makes you bike go faster Wink

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
pitslayer wrote:

https://media.photobucket.com/image/carbon%20yoke%20cover/IrishComet250/0712092001a.jpg

It's carbon, it makes you bike go faster Wink

Ah should of said a carbon handle bar doofer then I would of known what you were on about Laughing

I am not really bike literate to be perfectly honest Smile I have been working on cars since I was at least 8 only recently have I sparked up an interest in bikes, but I am willing to learn lol

ETA: When I do pick one up though and if the bike does not have one I will take it Smile

chris-red

PostPosted: 00:35 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, it's not going anywhere it would probably lay on my desk for about 3 years before I put it on ebay.

Cptn. Awesome
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:32 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:
I know they are good bikes, but I also know the converters for changing the bike to mph are like rocking horse poo to get

That's pap, you can get them for about £30 from Wemoto.com. I never bothered getting one for my NC24 though, the stupid sticker on the clock does a good enough job.

Naughty Fawbish: "An eagle is but an eagle until the suns flare blinds his prey." - Fawbish, 2010.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode one just before I bought my CBR600F (2004). The Triumph was the same year as the Honda and I thought it would be good to see what were the good and bad points about each. At the time I was riding a Hornet, and hadn't ridden a bike with a fairing before.

I thought the Triumph had a fair bit of poke, and it seemed to be all at the mid-top of the range. Revs wouldn't help you, gears would. The gearbox was very smooth shifting, but I got a false neutral twice in the space of 30 mins. Ham footed? Dunno. The position was ok at first, but my wrists were aching on the way back to the shop. Also I noticed my neck - I was holding my head further 'up' if you catch my drift. I couldn't see the speedo very well in sunlight, and the idiot lights weren't visible at all. Turned out to be a good thing though, because the LCD on the Triumph looks AWFUL. IMHO Smile

Then I rode the CBR. Got on, and pulled away where I thought it felt lighter on power very low down. Almost stalled it pulling out of the shop - d'oh! But as soon as you move, the thing felt like it had always been my bike. Comfy, obvious and confidence-inspiring. The mirrors work, the screen works, you can see the clocks (apart from the trip - stoopid clutch cable routing!). Felt more pokey than the Triumph, with the added bonus of a ramair effect at about 6-7k. And the redline is about 2k higher on the Honda! Maybe the extra revs helped, but it didn't seem to have a fat midrange to it, just linear shove all the way up the scale.

Got back to the dealer and looked around the bike, and it was quickly obvious that the fit and finish of the Honda was leagues above the Triumph. On the Triumph, the sidestand felt spindly, the switchgear felt 'budget', and most of the bolts were either slightly furry or orangey at the edges.

The Honda looked brand new, and had more miles on, too.

If you're going to compare a couple of bikes, pick some specific points to look at. Look at what each point means to you, and how much of a joy/pain it would be to live with it.

Myself, I wanted confidence and comfort, with the power to go silly if I wanted. I would have liked to have been patriotic and had a flag on the nose, but really, it wasn't worth the gamble.

HTH

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:

I thought the Triumph had a fair bit of poke, and it seemed to be all at the mid-top of the range. Revs wouldn't help you, gears would.

I have read this, as one of the only down points to the bike, but apparently this can be fixed by changing the front cog

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:44 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have a license yet and your friends are advising you to get a bike with 'more poke' than a Daytona 650?

I'd reccommend that you get new friends. They don't sound like the sort of people who you want to be listening to with regard to bikes.

Personally I'd say you'd be better off with an SV650 for a first bike, but a Daytona 650 should be OK as long as you are sensible.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 07 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:
I have read this, as one of the only down points to the bike, but apparently this can be fixed by changing the front cog

You don't want to worry about fannying about with your first bike. Trust eveyrone when they say it's going to feel like a missile anyway. If you keep it for more than a year, you *might* notice the difference in dropping a tooth. In that year, you'll learn a shitload about controlling the right hand, which I guarantee will make fifty times more difference to your overall speed.

And that's assuming your mates haven't told you to whang it flat out everywhere. Cos that's a one-way trip....

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 08 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been looking, and I feel my plans might be scuppered for the moment, as I can see cash flow getting tight and work load for myself is going to take over my life for the next few weeks.

I am still however hoping to at least pick up a bike this year whilst its winter and prices are a bit cheaper, and then look into riding it in the new year, will see how things plan out
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 9 years, 66 days between these two posts...
jclem This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:39 - 12 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: no dipped beam on my daytona 650 Reply with quote

jclem wrote:
Hi Guys got my bike out the other day for a ride saw that my headlights weren't working. Full beam works and both bulbs are lit as well as side lights but no light when I put back to dipped beams any ideas as to what the problem might be?
cheers in advance

We have a section, it's called 'The Workshop' where you are supposed to ask this sort of question. It's clearly marked. It's at the top of the forum.

Why in the name of all that is holy would you resurrect a nearly ten year old thread to ask it? Question
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2