Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Another chain thread.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper



Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:43 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Another chain thread. Reply with quote

Ok so I have tight spots in the chain and think its about time the chain and sprocket were changed.

Just rang my local garage (he really is a genuine bloke).

And said for a heavy duty chain (EDIT AND SPROCKETS). I'm looking at about 110-120quid? Then 30odd quid for fitting.

However i'm looking on ebay now and have found these,

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-CB600F-FS-Hornet-X-Ring-Chain-and-Sprocket-Kit_W0QQitemZ220496862550QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item3356a31d56

They are the best part of £40 cheaper?

Should I see if I can buy that chain on ebay and get him to fit it?

I'll happily pay for the heavy duty one if it lasts longer, he said it should last 10-12k miles if I lube it up Wink often.

Thanks,
Tim
____________________
Speedshite 50cc > Honda XR125L > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 02 Honda Hornet > 05 Honda CG125 winter hack > 04 Kawasaki ER-5 > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > 05 Honda CBR600F > 01 Honda Hornet


Last edited by TimNorwich on 09:54 - 20 Oct 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

B10Hazard
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:48 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 150 quid for a new chain and to be fitted Shocked
Thats well to expensive.
50 at the most for a chain and it takes no time to do it yourself.

EDIT.

Is that inculding sprockets ?
If so i stand corrected thats fine Thumbs Up
____________________
Current bike .. The police stole it
No longer any socks
Let me take you on a trip . . let me show the world in my eyes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper



Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:55 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry yes that includes sprockets.
____________________
Speedshite 50cc > Honda XR125L > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 02 Honda Hornet > 05 Honda CG125 winter hack > 04 Kawasaki ER-5 > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > 05 Honda CBR600F > 01 Honda Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:03 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally with chains and sprockets, like brakes...I'd rather not compromise or take a risk, chain failure can be pretty serious and dangerous!

But, saying that, they do seem to be able to get some cheaper sometimes.

As for fitting, I just posted a guide in the workshop. I changed mine yesterday, first time I'd had a go at it. First time I'd even removed the back wheel actually, and it was nice and easy....didn't even have a chain splittter/riveter tool.
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:15 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

£30 fitting is probably not bad for a shop to do the work. Charging you 40 mins to an hour really.

However £120 sounds quite a lot for a C&S, although if that is with tarty alloy sprockets then it might explain it a bit.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mooserx
Nearly there...



Joined: 14 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHen my chain snaPped on the old cbr, I got a chain and new front sprocket, paid 52 quid for chain and front sprocket and fitted it meself, the shop I bought the bits from then riveted the chain properly as only had the split link, they did that f.o.c. WIN!
____________________
TL1000r-handful.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 20 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a £50 chain (520VM O ring) from wemoto for my BMW. I had promised myself to always go for Gold DID as they last so much longer than anything else but I bugged out and went cheap.

It seems to me that most chains are labelled 'heavy duty' so seems to be the standard as far as I can see. If you want something really tough, go for the gold standard DID.

As usual its a pejorative thing, but I had a DID HD 525 O ring on my TDM which I had to adjust at least once a month. I stuck a part used DID gold standard on it and I can't remember when I last adjusted it.

You really do get what you pay for.

On doing it yourself (the chain swap that is...) It's easy enough if you have the right tools and crucially, if nothing is seized or nothing sheers off. If it does, it really is an unmitigated bastard, doing it yourself at that point seems like an incredibly shit idea. If your man's only charging £30, personally; I'd go for it. I bet you'd spend that on tools anyway you'd have no choice but to buy because you've started so have to finish the job yourself.

Thumbs Up
____________________
Didn't catch anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.07 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 54.41 Kb