74%
 74%  [ 49 ]
Honda CBF 125
25%
 25%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 66

M4RK
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:19 - 12 Oct 2009    Post subject: Honda CG 125 vs Honda CBF 125 Reply with quote

As a starter bike, riding on a CBT...what bike would recommend for me to look at?

I'm about 6'2 and a large build...by the time I do a CBT, it would probably be used for commuting ever so often as well as weekend rides.

Are they both the same size, have you got any positives and negatives of each, what do you think looks better?

Cheers, Thumbs Up

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 12 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for the CG on account of its mechanical simplicity. You've got a pushrod engine instead of an overhead cam, and a carb instead of fuel injection - so it's easier to work on. Parts for the CG are cheap and plentiful, whereas I wouldn't have thought the CBF has been around long enough for many secondhand or pattern parts to be on the market. Also the CG looks miles better IMO, and will be cheaper to buy.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 06:15 - 13 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

No contest.

I know nothing about football, but I expect the Brazilian team is better than the Indian one. Same applies to Honda 125s.

Oh, as well as the facts stated above. Part of the charm of a CG is that they refuse to die, but if they do begin to show signs of imminent death, you can always seem to bring them back to life with a Fisher Price My First Tools Set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 13 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
No contest.

I know nothing about football, but I expect the Brazilian team is better than the Indian one. Same applies to Honda 125s.

Oh, as well as the facts stated above. Part of the charm of a CG is that they refuse to die, but if they do begin to show signs of imminent death, you can always seem to bring them back to life with a Fisher Price My First Tools Set.

my 2nd rofl this morn, he he fisher price

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:41 - 13 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Street Hawk. Cool

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20B/Honda%20CBF%20125%20%2009.jpg

https://probertdesigns.com/Folder_DESIGN/ART/StreetHawk/Hawk-rider1.jpg

M4RK
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:47 - 13 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, Honda CG 125 = 15, Honda CBF 125 = 3...seems pretty one sided doesn't it?

The CG shape is definately growing on me...at first I thought it looked pretty plain and boring, but since looking at more and more photos I'm starting to love it.

Plus, if it's as easy as its being made out to be to fix and work on...I guess it would be perfect for a starter bike. Then I could move on to a more sporty bike after I feel experienced and confident enough.

Thanks for all your help so far, Very Happy

buddy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:56 - 13 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry?

go for the carbed pushrod instead of the fuel injected overhead cam?

the cbf looks conciderably bigger aswell, id atleast go and look at one

M4RK
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:59 - 13 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means nothing to me...I don't do bike mechanics yet...

Whats the difference between those?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 06:54 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbs an pushrods are old technology, I'd have the CBF more economical and better looking and I dare say more reliable.

Now to be karma bombed byt the CG brigade. Laughing

Nipedley
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:10 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak for the CBF but the CG has 30 years of experience and spares behind it, while the CBF is only a few years old. The CG has proven itself worthy over those years and I certainly love mine Very Happy

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy wrote:
sorry?

go for the carbed pushrod instead of the fuel injected overhead cam?

Yes. The bike's remit is simple, cheap, reliable transport. If something goes wrong with a carb, it's repairable at home with common tools. Something goes wrong with fuel injection, and it's a trip to the dealer to be raped anally with a large bill.

You can also start a bike with a dead battery if you have a carb, the fuel injected bike will just sit there silently whining about lack of volts.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Carbs an pushrods are old technology, I'd have the CBF more economical and better looking and I dare say more reliable.

Now to be karma bombed by the CG brigade. Laughing

According to the internet (which is never wrong) the CBF125 has only 87.5mpg, compared to the 100+ on the CG. The CG consequently has a tank range about 30 miles more going by the numbers.

Otherwise, apart from the looks, I can't see any upsides at all. Thumbs Up

Acemastr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get 87 pretty consistently with my YBR which is pretty much the same, not really sure a CG will get 100 unless it's a really long ride, 50mile round trip on my YBR used to get 110mpg but then i rode it like a pansy as i'd just started riding. You'll worry about the CBF a lot less than an older CG.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Yes. The bike's remit is simple, cheap, reliable transport. If something goes wrong with a carb, it's repairable at home with common tools. Something goes wrong with fuel injection, and it's a trip to the dealer to be raped anally with a large bill.

You can also start a bike with a dead battery if you have a carb, the fuel injected bike will just sit there silently whining about lack of volts.

But shaggy, you forget it has overhead cam! Rolling Eyes And its not that much wider or bigger than the new CG IIRC.

M4RK
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:17 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CG is still way ahead in the poll...

I like the idea of the CG being easy to work on yourself...I have an interest in mechanics and want to learn more, so that would benefit me.

Whats the difference in size of the bikes and performance figures...what will have the better acceleration...considering I'm about 6"2 and 17 and a half stone (as mentioned in a seperate post)?

Would look it up myself, but have to leave for work in ten minutes...so will leave it to you guys and I can check when I get back tonight.

Cheers again,

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

they wont be much faster than each other, they arnt fast bikes. both will reach about 55mp-ish fuel consumption will be around 80-100+mpg. your buying a bike that will bearly ever break down if you buy the CG, the cbf on the other hand is a new model so i bet they're finding out all the bugs.

rob1701d
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a proud CG owner i though i would jst add my opinion Smile
My CG is 14 years old has done over 31k miles and still runs like a dream, it has only had minor work done on it such as the valve clearance which was a 20min job at my local garage and cost peanuts, and the usual things like service,breaks new tires etc...
to be honest the bike has cost me very little in maintainance and it sips fuel. and it still get 60mph without much of a problem (even got it to 72mph coming back from gloucester the other week Shocked )

Anyway i got the CG as it was cheap and it was never going to be my bike forever and is just to help me get my A2 licence. once that is done im selling it which will be a sad day as ive grown to love my little red rocket Razz lol

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob1701d wrote:
Anyway i got the CG as it was cheap and it was never going to be my bike forever and is just to help me get my A2 licence. once that is done im selling it which will be a sad day as ive grown to love my little red rocket Razz lol

It is insanely cheap to run as you say, and for that reason... don't sell it!! Razz I sound a bit crazy, but my CG has been invaluable for getting the mile to town and back without any fuss.

Every person I've talked to that sold their small bike when getting a bigger has regretted it when it comes to the convenience of short journeys. This will depend on how you use your bike as well I guess.

rob1701d
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

its nice to hear someone say that tbh i was always gonna keep my cg after passing my test but everyone else said "why? just sell it u wont need it anymore" but it only takes me 10mins to get to work on my cg and cost me nothing at all to run ( i even boast about it when people down the pub talk about how much tax/insurance they pay for there bmw's or whatever lol ) i ws gonna sell it to help pay for a new bike but for what i would get for it compared to what it cost to keep on the road i may as well keep it for commuting and save up for a bigger bike. i mean come on..15quid a year to tax and 7quid a month insurance and i only need to put around 7-9quid a month in it for fuel if i dont go for weekend rides and stuff
Smile super cheap\

ps by "bmw" im talking about cars not bikes, im not about to slag off other bikers Smile just referring to them moaning about how much it cost them to commute short distances in ar car versus the low cost of a 125. and i know allot of people who have bought a small bike for just that reason Smile

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 20:41 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You'll worry about the CBF a lot less than an older CG.

In what way?

M4RK
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:45 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob1701d wrote:
i mean come on..15quid a year to tax and 7quid a month insurance and i only need to put around 7-9quid a month in it for fuel if i dont go for weekend rides and stuff
Smile super cheap

Seriously?! Is that alll?!

I'm well shocked at that...I knew it would be cheap but not by as much as that. I'd have to do an insurance quote for me then to see what it would come out as. If that's the case...I'll be saving up for the bike starting tomorrow then!

Thanks for your help, Very Happy

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 20:51 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right on the tax front...insurance is a lot cheaper for me (but it was added onto my existing policy), fuel for me worked out around 100mpg - which was £1.25 for the thirty odd miles to work at the time.

I did all my own servicing on my bike - even tyres were cheap, and easy enough to fit at home.

M4RK
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:01 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just filling in the form on gocompare.com...does my full uk driving license count as a provisional bike license...or will I need to apply for one?

It's a new photocard license...but doesn't have a bike logo on the back, so I'm not sure if this would act as a provisional bike license or not.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 21:06 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it works as a provisional on a 50cc bike, but to ride a 125, you'll have to take a CBT.

Unless they've changed that law since I passed my CBT. Whistle

rob1701d
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 14 Oct 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats what i currently pay for insurance just to let u know im 29 only have a provisional licence and have been riding for a year. last year my insurance was around 10quid. but ofc it will be different for everyone depending on your circumstances. oh and that is 3rd party only and parked on the street not in a garage etc.

let us know how you get on Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 213 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2