Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Removing front sprocket ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 14 Aug 2003    Post subject: Removing front sprocket ? Reply with quote

Got my chain and sprockets yesterday. Everything looks straight forward enough except getting the front sprocket off.
Its a hell of a size and i ain't got a big enough spanner or socket to fit, it'll be at least a 30mm.
Anyway, if i can aquire a big enough spanner which way does it turn, there also seems to be a little play in it 2-3mm should it have been doing that ?
Also any info on fitting the new chain and sprockets would be nice as i haven't done this before and i don't have a chain riveter/splitter.

Cheers

Mr.E.

kevo
Cop Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 13:31 - 14 Aug 2003    Post subject: Re: Removing front sprocket ? Reply with quote

Hi,

First rule of removing the front sprocket is to loosen it first before you do anything else to the chain.

Have someone hold the bike and apply ample pressure to the back brake to hold the sprocket in place.

You'll find that the sprocket thread moves in the natural direction that the sprocket turns so in order for the sprocket not to come off due to rotational forces.

Make sure you have a torque wrench so that you can put the new front sprocket back on with the correct amount of force. You don't want that baby coming loose at any time. If you don't have a torque wrench go and buy one or borrow if you can.

Might also be obvious but make sure you give the front sprocket area, chain travel and area surrounding the chain a good clean. Remove all chain goop that has accumilated with some old rags and some chain degreaser. You don't want any of that old crap and grit going onto a new chain and sprockets.

Regards,
Kevo.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1