Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What makes a good road rider?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Devils Advocate
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: What makes a good road rider? Reply with quote

Continuing on from something G said, what in your opinions makes a good road rider?

Some people think a wheelie and a knee down makes them good,i think otherwise.Tricks are for kids in my opinion and only show a better level of actual bike handling and understanding of the machine in a specific controlled environment.
Riding for 50 years but within the same streets and same town doesnt make you a good rider either.Neither does riding year round in all weathers to work every day and back.

To my mind a good road rider is someone who can tick yes to the next set of main points.Theres others that could be mentioned but ill go with my basic ones for now.

A slight fear of death and injury and a certain degree of paranoia and concern for well being.
Previous years spent driving cars/vans with lots of miles under their belts in various conditions.
A mature head and fully functioning brain cells before the instrument of death is mounted.
A Heightened state of road awareness and hazard analysis at all times.
A religious need to keep their bike in perfect working order and cumpulsory regular maintainance checks done.
Someone involved in a previous bad accident...or a very close call.
Excellent bike control and knowledge of your bikes capabilties.
100% confidence in your own riding abilities and always staying within them.
Experience on lots of different roads in totally alien environments ( i dont mean mars and pluto either...i mean places youve never been to before and places you dont normally go to)

And lastly respect for the road and understanding it is not a fucking racetrack that was built just for you

If you follow these points,then one day you too will become a road god just like max power Very Happy

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A paranoid yet confident rider (kind of contradictory I know).
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Max nailed that pretty well, except for the last bit, which I will supply with corrections:

And lastly respect for the road and understanding it is a fvcking racetrack that was built for those who have so far managed to keep their licence. Thumbs Up Very Happy

Wozza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:45 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say common sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
A paranoid yet confident rider (kind of contradictory I know).

Exactly, Striking a balance between the two is key.

Chuck some skills in there, some experience.

An ability to just allow certain gaps/overtakes that statistically in the long run = splat.

fiveus
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:24 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just think if you come home safe and well after riding your bike your a good rider Very Happy

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a skill, so keep practising. Keep match fit. Thumbs Up

Good little list BTW

Pat
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiveus wrote:
i just think if you come home safe and well after riding your bike your a good rider Very Happy

Or a bad one who was lucky that day.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:57 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: What makes a good road rider? Reply with quote

While you're describing a set of qualities that can be added up, I think you're still not too clearly stating what you believe the end product is.
Ie safe, fast, etc.

Blackwolf
Burgerfist

PostPosted: 13:12 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its just as simple to be able to adapt to the situation around you.
Wilson123 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Wilson123 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Devils Advocate
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: What makes a good road rider? Reply with quote

G wrote:
While you're describing a set of qualities that can be added up, I think you're still not too clearly stating what you believe the end product is.
Ie safe, fast, etc.

Hadnt really thought about that but i suppose staying safe and uninjured would be the main end product and the obvious one...... but whilst also still having fun and enjoying the motorcycling experience at the same time. (be that fast or slow).
The end product is open to interpretation though.The above is just my own idea of what it should be.

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is safe to say 'whichever qualities' THIS dude has!! Thumbs Up

https://www.thebikergene.com/gallery/cache/Women%20in%20Motorcycling/Untitled-1.jpg_w500.jpg

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 17:27 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A courier/Despatch rider will piss all over most riders.

Matt06
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:

I've been told they tend to pick up lots of bad habits.

Taxi drivers drive all the time, but that doesnt make them good.

Devils Advocate
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt06 wrote:
Reuben wrote:

I've been told they tend to pick up lots of bad habits.

Taxi drivers drive all the time, but that doesnt make them good.

+1

You`d expect them to be better than the rest of us but the truth is they`re not.Most couriers spend most of their time in built up cities at low speeds weaving in and out of traffic.Their awareness and hazard perception is probably very good but thats the only area they excel above others imo.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

max power wrote:
+1

You`d expect them to be better than the rest of us but the truth is they`re not.Most couriers spend most of their time in built up cities at low speeds weaving in and out of traffic.Their awareness and hazard perception is probably very good but thats the only area they excel above others imo.

And who doesn't want to be fantastic and filtering in and out of traffic in very built up areas?

After that they have the same opportunities to be good at riding as the rest of us. So I'm sure some of them really are amazing.

Devils Advocate
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying filtering is a bad thing just making a general observation. Wink

Alexio wrote:

After that they have the same opportunities to be good at riding as the rest of us. So I'm sure some of them really are amazing.

True but i think if you rode a bike for a living 8-12 hours a day,5-6 days a week,you wouldnt really want to go out for a cruise and a hoon like social riders do. Wink

Shreddie
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:26 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: What makes a good road rider? Reply with quote

max power wrote:
Previous years spent driving cars/vans with lots of miles under their belts in various conditions.

I can't see what that's got to do with riding a bike. Other than perhaps understanding what it's like to drive a car... But if you're an observant biker you'll have a good sense of that anyway.

Personally, I think that some who drive cars and ride bikes don't have enough practice on two wheels so can be pretty poor riders... As Howling Terror said "It's a skill, so keep practising. Keep match fit."

Otherwise, all your points were spot on IMO.

Devils Advocate
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: What makes a good road rider? Reply with quote

Shreddie wrote:
max power wrote:

I can't see what that's got to do with riding a bike. Other than perhaps understanding what it's like to drive a car... But if you're an observant biker you'll have a good sense of that anyway.

Its not essential by any means but from my experience i just see it as useful.
The point you made about "knowing what its like to drive a car" is part of it. If you understand the driving mentality that comes from being sat in a solid tin can it makes you more alert to the lowered state of road awareness and safety that many car drivers have.....and subsequently heightens your own when out on a bike Wink

It also gives you a better idea of how visible/invisible you are to a car driver so that you can adjust your road positionings more appropriately when on a bike and make safer manouevres.
You also get to know what it feels like being approached rapidly and overtaken by fast bikes etc etc.....it can be a bit off-putting (and sometimes scary) when bikes whizz past the drivers side unexpectedly....especially with loud cans on.
Ive actually had a couple of occasions over the last few weeks where i started to hate bikers when i was in the car......nearly drove into the fucking kerb a couple of times when they filtered past too close at silly speeds.Lucky for them i`m a rider myself so i have a bit of compassion.....non bike riders would probably put themselves and their cars first and let the biker come a cropper. (or even do something mailicious on purpose)

Theres other reasons why i think it helps too but i think you get the general idea of where im coming from. Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:

only korean ones british courier riders are NOTHING on korean riders.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Last edited by Itchy on 14:37 - 15 Dec 2009; edited 1 time in total

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 01:21 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
only korean ones british courier riders are NOTHING on korean riders.

Please explain how carrying a huge amount on a bike which would get you prosecuted in this country makes you a good rider?

As to commenting on Couriers considering you live up North and have little knowledge of Couriers perhaps you should stop pretending you actually know anything about the job, get off your arse and try it instead of spending the rest of your life as a wannabe.

As to what makes a good road rider 33600miles since the middle of February would be a good start and yes I have bad habits but with 17 years no claims and at the moment a clean license they probably aren't as bad as many think.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
True but i think if you rode a bike for a living 8-12 hours a day,5-6 days a week,you wouldnt really want to go out for a cruise and a hoon like social riders do. Wink

Well actually as you say that.

When i was dispatching on a 125 and the evening was realtively nice i would do me 10 hour day come home in the evening, shower, spliff, food and then get on my 600 and tear arse around the city. Blow off a bit of stream on a larger bike. Thumbs Up

When despatching you do get a contempt for the common biker, its hard not to when they slow you down more than cars more often than not.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know City Sprint couriers very well ?.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 137 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3