BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brake Pads

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 12:19 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Brake Pads Reply with quote

So I'm in the market for some new front pads. I think the screeching noise is a pretty good indication that they are almost completely worn down. I've looked at them from the front and they look worn down too.

Question is...

https://www.moto-racing.co.uk/cat--Kawasaki-ZX6-Brake-Pads--All+ZX6+Brake+Pads.html

What's the best ones to get? It's only used on the roads and it's not like I'm going to be needing them for speeding about in this shit weather! So I just need some durable pads that will last me until summer I suppose.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:27 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would just go for the basic EBC HH or the basic Bendix pads from that list. While on track some of the higher spec Bendix pads would probably be better, I suspect that they need some temperature in them to work and that in normal road use you would just land up with a load of lag in cold weather.

All the best

Keith

Chris750
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:09 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some on there for £111.90 Shocked
Don't suppose you will want those, what can be so special to make them 5 times more expensive than normal pads. Plus you need two sets, thats over £220 to change the front pads. Who does this I wonder?

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stay away from EBC HH, I've only ever warped two sets of discs in my life and both were using EBC HH pads. A lot of other people swear by them but IME I've only ever sworn at them Mr. Green One indicator though is, if you buy PFM aftermarket discs, they won't honour their warranty if you use EBC HH pads!

I always use OE pads, mainly because they're no cheaper or more expensive and they are from the same manufacturer as the discs (OK, so the manufcaturer gets them from a brake supplier but they spec the material).

Cheers

Grim
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.

Syx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grim, are those OEM discs that were warped? I've got an aftermarket set and never (*touch wood*) had any troubles with EBC HH's; but my OEM discs ended up warping with OEM pads!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syx wrote:
Grim, are those OEM discs that were warped? I've got an aftermarket set and never (*touch wood*) had any troubles with EBC HH's; but my OEM discs ended up warping with OEM pads!

Yep, OEM discs and EBC HH pads both times. I then had PFM supersport discs with Bendix pads and never had any issues. The bikes both had less than 10k miles on them when the discs went.

Cheers

Grim
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold Fren pads for £24 for two pairs

Sickpup uses them, that's enough recommendation for me.

Yes they're cheap, and softer than many pads, so they wear quicker, but not so much as to make them uneconomical, and, as sickpup pointed out, they don't wear the discs so much, which are very expensive to replace.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
I always use OE pads, mainly because they're no cheaper or more expensive and they are from the same manufacturer as the discs (OK, so the manufcaturer gets them from a brake supplier but they spec the material).

Cheers

Grim

In this case can you get me a full set of pads for an ER6F same as the N and the fronts are the same as the SV650 as Kawasaki and Suzuki want £40 a caliper set. I am only willing to pay the £12 retail price per set that Fren Golds cost that I use at the moment. I will ofcourse re-imburse you your postage cost and lets say £10 for your troubles.

Thank you. Thumbs Up

Neither Tokico nor Nissin make discs by the way.

Zimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly recommend the Bendix, great pads for the money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 22:59 - 10 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:

Yes they're cheap, and softer than many pads, so they wear quicker, but not so much as to make them uneconomical, and, as sickpup pointed out, they don't wear the discs so much, which are very expensive to replace.

Will they fit my bike though? I've got ZX6R G1 1998 model...

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
the grim reaper wrote:

Cheers

Grim

In this case can you get me a full set of pads for an ER6F same as the N and the fronts are the same as the SV650 as Kawasaki and Suzuki want £40 a caliper set. I am only willing to pay the £12 retail price per set that Fren Golds cost that I use at the moment. I will ofcourse re-imburse you your postage cost and lets say £10 for your troubles.

Thank you. Thumbs Up

Neither Tokico nor Nissin make discs by the way.

Yeah, yeah smartarse, I meant that they're no more expensive than EBC. I wasn't talking about the manufacturer of the discs, I was talking about Yamaha/Honda/whoever speccing the discs and the pad material.

Cheers

Grim

woodyfjr
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:25 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't touch EBC they have ruined 2 sets of front discs on the wifes Aprilia.

I use SBS when I can get hold of them (not often).

Carbon Lorraine A4's mainly on the Fjr which is a heavy bike and they never overheat/fade and last well.

If you have to rev it! Don't Buy it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought some of the new Carbone Lorraine XBK5+'s for my R6, although they are not on your list. I won't know what they are like until next year though. Rolling Eyes

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
Yeah, yeah smartarse, I meant that they're no more expensive than EBC. I wasn't talking about the manufacturer of the discs, I was talking about Yamaha/Honda/whoever speccing the discs and the pad material.

Cheers

Grim

Ok then smart arse i will pay £22.98 a caliper set which is what the SRP of EBC HH pads are.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay-recoil wrote:
Damofo D.O.G. wrote:

Will they fit my bike though? I've got ZX6R G1 1998 model...

No, but these ones will.

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
the grim reaper wrote:

Cheers

Grim

Ok then smart arse i will pay £22.98 a caliper set which is what the SRP of EBC HH pads are.

The last set of brake pads I bought were for a 99 Blade, at £19.50 a pair. As I stated, comparable to EBC HH, your motorcycle may vary.

Cheers

Grim

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodyfjr wrote:
I use SBS when I can get hold of them (not often).

+1

SBS pads are awesome in my experience of them.

IIRC Seton Tuning stocks SBS. Thumbs Up

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:34 - 11 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:

+1, Winner. I'm going to order them, even it they wear out quickly, I'm not arsed for now, least they will last until summer as I'm not using the bike anywhere near as much as last summer now.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 03:42 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
The last set of brake pads I bought were for a 99 Blade, at £19.50 a pair. As I stated, comparable to EBC HH, your motorcycle may vary.

Cheers

Grim

So don't make sweeping statements, especially ones that are wrong.

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic.

Had my servicing and my pads were OK according to the mechanic 3 weeks ago.

Had a MOT 2 days ago and now my back brake makes a screeching noise. Any idea what he did or is it a coincidence?

My bike is a Aprillia RS 125.

PS. Any reccomendations? I use EBC HH I believe but some of you think EBC warps things. Can I get OEM pads for the RS?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:12 - 12 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If it is the back brake then the pads are dirt cheap. However check the pads are worn out, rather than just some grit stuck in the pad.

Wouldn't really bother with HH pads on the back. On the front of an RS the stock pads were awful. EBC HH pads make a massive difference to the brakes.

All the best

Keith

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 14 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
the grim reaper wrote:

Cheers

Grim

So don't make sweeping statements, especially ones that are wrong.

I wasn't making sweeping statements, I was speaking from my experience which is pretty much the only way, as I don't have other people's experience.

I stated that I buy OEM pads as they are no more expensive than EBC, I didn't say 'everyone, the OE pads for your particular motorcycle will be as cheap as EBC', did I?

Cheers

Grim

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 14 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
I wasn't making sweeping statements, I was speaking from my experience which is pretty much the only way, as I don't have other people's experience.

I stated that I buy OEM pads as they are no more expensive than EBC, I didn't say 'everyone, the OE pads for your particular motorcycle will be as cheap as EBC', did I?

Cheers

Grim

Yes you did...

Quote:

Quote:

Thumbs Up

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 14 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Yes you did...

Quote:

Quote:

Thumbs Up

No, I didn't. Note the 'I' in bold, I didn't say 'you can', or 'You will be able to', I said 'I always'. You are reading between the lines and inserting your own meaning behind my words.

I don't buy brake pads for an ER6f, I don't buy brake pads for a Goldwing or a TS50, I bought pads for my Blade and I have found the OE pads to be the same price as EBC.

The second part in bold was not me stating that Yamaha/Honda/whoever having the same parts prices, I was stating that Yamaha/Honda/whoever specify their discs and brake pads. You're taking two completely separate quotes to try to back up your argument that I made a sweeping statement. I didn't. I made a statement based on my own experience.

Cheers

Grim

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 14 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:

Cheers

Grim

I can make things bold as well. Thumbs Up

That's a sweeping statement.

TS50's normally have drums.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2