Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GS500 starting problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 15 Dec 2009    Post subject: GS500 starting problem Reply with quote

Hi all,

Over the past month my GS500 has started struggling to start. Since the weekend it wont start at all.

Engine turns over but wont start.

It's a public holiday tomorrow, so the plan is to get it running again. What should I check? Spark plugs? Then?

Is there some logical progression that I can follow?

As you can tell I'm a novice when it comes to bike mechanics but I'm mechanically minded.

Any advice? What tools will I need?

Thanks,
G1_
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:18 - 15 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GS is a bitch to start full stop Razz
Turn the fuel switch to "PRI" on mine thats long bit facing down, arrow pointing up.
check the plugs, put choke on about 1/2 way.
keep hold on the starter button and gently open the throttle slightly.

I find that starts mine if she is being a true bitch!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bishbash
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 16 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably due to the temperature, mine is the same. Summer time it started on the button, but now, no chance.

Buy a bike cover to help the morning start ups.

Trackday videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/bishbash13
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 16 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

replace the plugs as a matter of course as they are so cheap.

Try turning out your idle mixture screw 1/4 to 1/2 a turn to aid starting and idling in the cold weather.

Check the choke mechanism is working.

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:25 - 17 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies but I'm in Cape Town. It's averaged about 30 over here for the past 2 weeks.

I pulled the plugs and it seems as though I'm not getting consistent spark. I'm getting spark every now and again. The spark plugs look in good nick and I know they were replaced during it's last service, which can't have been more than 3 months ago. I'll replace them (shops were closed yesterday during the public holiday) but if it's not the plugs what can I check next?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 09:21 - 17 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to replace the coils I would say.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:24 - 17 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

I'd say check them, but its possible chris-red is right...

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 17 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to self: "The easy way to check ignition Coils":
https://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=19546.0

chris-red

PostPosted: 10:46 - 17 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

padwaxk88 wrote:
chris-red wrote:

I'd say check them, but its possible chris-red is right...

You can't realy check coils, the resistance you are supposed to test for is when they are under load. The only real way is to switch them with some other coils. Have a look at them see if the contacts are rusty.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:27 - 17 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1NGER_one wrote:
Note to self: "The easy way to check ignition Coils":
https://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=19546.0

Exactly what i tried, thats what i meant chris-red. Embarassed

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 17 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the very first thing you did was to try and start it off a car battery or similar...

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 17 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

finpos wrote:
I hope the very first thing you did was to try and start it off a car battery or similar...

I haven't tried that. Should I?
It's definitely turning over. It doesn't seem like a flat battery to me. I ran it flat trying to start it. It's been in the battery charger over night now.

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 19 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arg, new spark plugs made no difference.

Think I might just call in the pro's. And whiles they're having a look at it I'll pick out my new bike. I saw a 2007 FZ600 for a reasonable price Laughing

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:47 - 20 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1NGER_one wrote:
Arg, new spark plugs made no difference.

Think I might just call in the pro's. And whiles they're having a look at it I'll pick out my new bike. I saw a 2007 FZ600 for a reasonable price Laughing

Or just replace the coils and leads Thumbs Up

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 21 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, try a car battery before you buy anything at all, it'll only take 5 mins. You have all the symptoms of tired battery and probably haven't noticed the engine has been spinning gradually slower the past short while. Now it's not spinning fast enought to start and you are randomly loosing sparks because there's not enough electricity to go around. Charging your tired battery gets you a still tired battery.

sticky valve
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:00 - 22 Dec 2009    Post subject: gs Reply with quote

ok ive a 1980 gs450 . im in ireland and last few days has bein frezzing hard . the old girl fires up first time even in the cold . did you try a shot of easy start into the air intake . ok i dont recommend using easy start every time ok . but worth a shot mate . its in a yellow can bradex east start .

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:23 - 22 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bare in mind, a farked batterys voltage will drop when turning over the motor. Voltage drops, and even though the electronic ignition works, its going to be TCI so the low tension to the coils is at battery voltage so you get lower LT voltage, so your final HT when cranking will be really low.

serlant
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:54 - 22 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temeluchus wrote:
bare in mind, a farked batterys voltage will drop when turning over the motor. Voltage drops, and even though the electronic ignition works, its going to be TCI so the low tension to the coils is at battery voltage so you get lower LT voltage, so your final HT when cranking will be really low.

I have this problem when the battery is nearly flat, will turn over just fine but won't start, then i bump it once and it starts right up and runs fine, have you tried bumping it?

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 23 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

serlant wrote:
I have this problem when the battery is nearly flat, will turn over just fine but won't start, then i bump it once and it starts right up and runs fine, have you tried bumping it?

I have tried bumping it. The battery on my old bike was always dodge, had to bump that bike all the time.

On another note I did get a test ride on that Fazer. Hmm... trying to make some space in my budget Laughing

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 27 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I wasn't testing the spark plugs properly. I wasn't grounding them correctly, so obviously no spark.

I've tested them properly now. I'm getting good consistent blue spark. Also Took off the tank. The air filter looks fine. I suppose getting petrol all over your shoe is a sign that petrol is getting to the petcock?

Where from here? Is there an easy way to establish whether the carburetors are doing their job?

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 28 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drained the float bowl and the petrol looked clean and no signs of water.

I guess if fuel is getting to the float bowl then it's safe to assume that the problem doesn't lie with the fuel filter, petcock and plumbing?

Well at least I'm learning stuff as I go along.

So if I'm getting spark, there's fuel in the float bowl and the air filter looks fine, then the problem is in the carb itself?

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 28 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start up procedure:
1) ignition on
2) check kill switch
3) choke about half way (although I've tried a few positions)
4) Check it's in neutral
5) starter button and slowly turn the throttle

Fuel tank is almost full. Fuel tap is on main.

I still haven't tried a car battery. I read somewhere that using a car battery is bad for a bike. But I'll give it a go if there's no problem with it.

I'll test it with the multimeter as well.

But I am getting spark. Could the battery be to blame, even if I am getting spark?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 121 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1