Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Frozen or Coincidence?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

screechyboy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:56 - 22 Dec 2009    Post subject: Frozen or Coincidence? Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with my bike which could be the frozen weather or that could just be a coincidence!?!.

I have a Suzuki Intruder VL125 and last night after work i couldnt get it to go above 20mph, out of gear it was revving fine but as soon as i released the clutch is was spluttering and not accelerating in the normal manner.

I persaveared and eventually about 2 minutes from home it sparked into life and i was able to ride as normal.

This morning having been parked in my garage overnight i had the same issue but got all the way to work without any improvement.

Its rather embarrasing doing 20 miles an hour any suggestions as to what i can do as i am not looking forward to 5.30!

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 22 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch cable partially seized? Clutch worn?

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 22 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

water in the fuel or carb icing.

Drain your float bowl and see if it improves.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:22 - 22 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

No so sure on carb icing. Normally that would be fine to start with and cause problems at speed. Water in fuel does sound possible though. Also depending on the breather setup, possibly water frozen and blocking the fuel tank breather.

All the best

Keith

screechyboy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:12 - 22 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

Not being a mechanical type i will attempt to drain some of the float bowl and see if this helps.

I recall last night that shortly before it kicked back into life i had removed the petrol cap to check i had fuel as the stuttering felt like i t does when i run out (which is unfortunately fairly frequent due to it not having a petrol gauge)

Could this have made any difference?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:54 - 22 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

screechyboy wrote:
Could this have made any difference?

Yes. If it was a blocked breather then opening the cap will allow air in.

All the best

Keith

screechyboy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:21 - 22 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried removing the petrol cap for a few minutes before i set off tonight but sadly another slow and embarrassing commute home this evening.

I spent about 10 minutes in the car park revving the bike and all seems ok until again i tried to accelerate out of the car park.

It spluttering away as if its trying it feels like its wants me to pull the choke out but its full out already.

I'm afraid not being mechanically minded and without a manual i have so far been unable to locate the float bowl!

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 22 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

screechyboy wrote:

It spluttering away as if its trying it feels like its wants me to pull the choke out but its full out already.

Are you riding with the choke full on permanently?

screechyboy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:09 - 22 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not normally but i left it about half way out this evening

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:42 - 22 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Leaving the choke on too long can easily cause running issues.

All the best

Keith
Wilson123 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

niceday
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:07 - 23 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rule out carb icing, it's perfect weather for it i.e cold and damp. Can you see the carb easy? If you see frost build up on the outside then you will certainly have ice build up inside. Temp doesn't have to be zero as air temp decrease as velocity increases which is what happens in the carb venturi (presuure decreases to "suck" the fuel in. Happened to me today. Also I had a car that did this for the ten years I had it, yes, should have fixed it lol.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:47 - 24 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

niceday wrote:
Don't rule out carb icing, it's perfect weather for it i.e cold and damp.

Agree not to rule it out, and when it gets too cold you will not have the problem. However it appears the OPs issue starts immediatly, rather than after a while of running when the carb temp has had a chance to drop.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 120 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1