BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New SV650

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: New SV650 Reply with quote

Opinions please, will it end up a rust bucket after 4 years?.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the time and effort to bathe it in warm seawater every night then blow dry it, I'm pretty sure you could achieve what you describe.

Question is why would you want to? Thinking

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I dont, its just Suzis seem to have a bad rep for rust, this new SV caught my eye but will it make a good all year round commuter and such?. I was just worried about the front being so bare and open to crud and elements, lack of proper front fender.

thanks

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
Lol, I dont, its just Suzis seem to have a bad rep for rust, this new SV caught my eye but will it make a good all year round commuter and such?. I was just worried about the front being so bare and open to crud and elements, lack of proper front fender.

Fenda Extenda and ACF50 and you're all set.

It's cheap, easy to service, there's a race series so aftermarket parts are available, the go ok, stop ok, handle adequately, can be made to sound fearsome, narrow enough to get in a garden gate, etc, etc. What's not to like?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't rust if you clean it and use a protective agent on it.

Some of the ancillary bits like bolts will rust, plus you'll need a front mud guard extender. These bits even rust on my CBRs.

You also have to consider that they are so common and not particularly desirable that you won't get a whole lot for them.

Finally also consider that they're built down to a very low price. The SVs I've had leaked petrol, had the starter motor die (you needed to physically kick the thing a few times or roll it back and forth).

The model 1 and 2 SVs the sub frame paint is cack and rusts like no tomorrow so a hugger, repainting or protective spray ACF50 SF365 etc might be recommended. My NTV was older and had higher mileage yet had less sub frame rust than the much newer lower mileage SVs I had.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:27 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 05 SVS doesn't have a spot of rust on it and it's no garage queen.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the new 15> version SV, my CBR300 has been great with no rust apart from a 3 inch section on the front of the exhaust after 8 months and 4k, the Fenda extension didn't quite cover all the gap so it has a paintless bit that i wipe with ACF50 till temps warm up and I can use the PJ1 I got for it. Its just if I have to shift jobs Im not keen on the 300 on the motorway its fine to 60 then its a bit screamy at 70 (7000rpm) and light enough for wind to blow me a bit, other than that its great at 90 mpg. Just a thought at the moment.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:55 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say if you aren't expecting a fast bike and are happy with average suspension then yes, its a fine bike and not much really goes wrong.

If you are wanting a nice package, tidy appearances and some nice features, its not for you, you'd do better with anything other than that.

I don't much like them, however some people love them. Try it and find out Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

God.i wrote:
It will be shit obviously according to the sheep on BCF who have more than likely never owned or ridden one.

Lol

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:39 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really a Gladius rather than an SV and I've never heard an owner say a bad word about them. They've been making them long enough to sort out all the problems.

That front mudguard bugs the heck out of me, and a fenda-extenda would make it merely inadequate rather than ridiculous. But they've put a shield in front of the cylinder (literally a square of plastic) so I'll try and keep the boiling rage down to a simmer.

Other than that, why not? It's a bit lardier than an MT-07, but a bit cheaper. Reviews of the Gladius have always been glowing, there's no reason to think this will be any worse.

3 year warranty puts it ahead of everything else, haggle hard, enjoy.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 14:40 - 01 Apr 2016; edited 1 time in total

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:40 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's fine after 6 years of ownership. They're not super-fast, but they are good commuters. Avoid long motorway runs on them, though: your spine and knees will not thank you if you attempt them.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Other than that, why not? It's a bit lardier than an MT-07, but a bit cheaper.

Cos underneath it's still an SV...
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:49 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Genuine question: have you ever praised anything in your bleak and grumpy existence?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:06 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Itchy wrote:

Genuine question: have you ever praised anything in your bleak and grumpy existence?

Immigration?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Genuine question

Yes I have, I quite liked my Fazer performance but not so much the riding position, good fast bike though. Liked the CBR6 carb, the FI less so. The rats I rode for a while were good work horses.

The SVs and I never gelled. I never felt comfortable on them and they didn't inspire all that much confidence. They just didn't feel right. Somebody once made a criticism of the GS500E that it felt tired even when fairly new. I felt the same way with the SV.

What cemented my dislike of them is when I tried to do some repairs in order to resolve the problems. The bolts seemed to be made from cheese and rounded off extremely easily.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:45 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Sort of. I see it as more of an SFV650 / Gladius, with some of the curves and plastic rubbed off and a very slightly kicked up rear end. It looks to me that they're really just co-opted the SV name for the maligned "Gladys" and slapped a round headlight on it because, I dunno, retro-track-bob-scrambler.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:09 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they've kept the brick hard seat from the Gladius but the new can and headlight more than compensate. Should be a fine bike with a great engine. You'd be very unlucky to have any problems with it before 50k miles, if ever, just lots of two wheeled fun. Buy one and stop worrying about if it will rust (cos that's what the forums say) - load of old tosh. Most bikes will look shit unless you look after them. Nearly every second hand Gladius that I've seen was in good nick. Mine was still mint after 3 years.

Piercee100
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:11 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Suzuki's in general are unpretentious bikes, usually with the sweetest of gearboxes. I like the new SV, maybe next year for me.
They only suffer an image problem because they don't seem to push the hype as much as the other manufactures. Durability may be a thing, but I'm sure the other's are dropping to Suzuki's levels these days.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:37 - 01 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wash it and dont let it go shitty then I dont see why its worse than anything else.

Im waiting to see what they actually put out though as the base model is pretty understated. The rally concept is a bit of a mixed bag but a lot more interesting

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/568366/1752x1168/160318_095639.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1