Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chinese Bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Chinese Bikes Reply with quote

Whenever any posts in questions etc on these freely available Chinese bikes, Kinroads, Hongdus, Jialings and all the other brands the poor soul who's bought one seems to be shot down in flames. If these things are really as c****y as most people seem to think how come they're selling them around the world and why isn't China sinking with the weight of all those millions of 'em cast aside. You can only flog carp for so long without going under, can't you ?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:22 - 30 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sell crap for as long as people continue to buy crap, people are generally quite stupid and continue to buy cheap Chinese bikes even after being told the bikes are shitty.

Quote:
why isn't China sinking with the weight of all those millions of 'em cast aside. You can only flog carp for so long without going under, can't you ?

China isn't going to go under, they're a rising world power, both politically and economically.

You should consider learning to speak Chinese. Wink

ashwell-09
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:47 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my test training on a 125 sinnis and it was honestly the shittest bike i've ever ridden, nothing feels secure and it was quite twitchy (brake wise) for a 125.
My mate then decided to buy a sinnis and he's still regretting it now, it is poor!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone lives in the first world. In some third world countries these bikes are probably much cheaper to buy and run than the bikes you and I are used to. I'm sure selling cheap modes of transport to developing countries is very profitable, hence why these Chinese manufacturers are not going out of business.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 31 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My irresponsible imagination.
Price : Thailand=Taiwan=Korea>China
Quality : Thailand=Taiwan=Korea>China

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Chinese bikes are fine, so long as you're not used to riding ridiculous so-called race reps. The Sanya 125 in particular seems to be a nice, reliable, well made bike - and costs less than half what a CG125 does.

As with the much maligned but largely reliable CZs back in the 80s, Chinese bikes are ideal for those on a limited budget who want a brand new bike to learn or commute on.

There's a lot of snobbery around in the biking world. Sometimes it's worse than being a member of a bloody golf club Laughing

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Re: Chinese Bikes Reply with quote

Ed Case wrote:
Whenever any posts in questions etc on these freely available Chinese bikes, Kinroads, Hongdus, Jialings and all the other brands the poor soul who's bought one seems to be shot down in flames. If these things are really as c****y as most people seem to think how come they're selling them around the world and why isn't China sinking with the weight of all those millions of 'em cast aside. You can only flog carp for so long without going under, can't you ?

Quite simply it is because they are built for a difrerent purpose in that the current state of technology and progress in China is apt for what THEY need, its just that some people think hold on we can export them and make loads of money.

These bikes in China cost F all, its just that all the export tariffs and mark ups make them £500-£1200.

In that motorbikes in China generally are restricted to cities and villages you travel around and dual carriageways and motorways in China have no motorbike signs*. Hence their bikes are just run abouts inside towns not for bike to bike combat riding like we use them for in the UK.

In the UK when we want to go say the capital London we drive, as the distance is not great, in China the distances are greater so they take the train instead as the road network is not fantastic yet.

In that I Japan I take the Shinkanshen or in Korea the KTX as its better than riding or driving and faster.

China is currently at the embryonic stage like Japan was in the 1960s and 70s when bikers riding their triumphs would complain about the quality of Japanese bikes. Sōichirō Honda listened when, people said they were poor because of this and that , he wrote it down and then amended these problems.

Sōichirō Honda's first attempts to dominate the US market were appaulling and only saved by the erm C50 or C90 using the you meet the nicest people on a Honda.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

....Hold on you're not Kiyoshi Kawashima's son are you, he'd have a fruit if he saw you riding a Yamaha!. Laughing
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 01 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
....Hold on you're not Kiyoshi Kawashima's son are you, he'd have a fruit if he saw you riding a Yamaha!. Laughing

Kihachiro Kawashima? Unfortunately no Laughing I must be more rich if he was.

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 10 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

never buy anything from a country that thinks "one man and his dog" is a cookery program!

Decco
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:35 - 19 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
Most Chinese bikes are fine, so long as you're not used to riding ridiculous so-called race reps. The Sanya 125 in particular seems to be a nice, reliable, well made bike - and costs less than half what a CG125 does.

As with the much maligned but largely reliable CZs back in the 80s, Chinese bikes are ideal for those on a limited budget who want a brand new bike to learn or commute on.

There's a lot of snobbery around in the biking world. Sometimes it's worse than being a member of a bloody golf club Laughing

You've got to be having a laugh CZ's are/were light years ahead of the Chinese crap in terms of reliability and build quality.
DO NOT touch a low end cheapy Chinese bike, get a second hand CZ and it will run forever.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:01 - 22 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawashima wrote:

Kihachiro Kawashima? Unfortunately no Laughing I must be more rich if he was.

Ha it means River Island ~ a chain store for chavs in the UK

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 22 Jan 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some of us these cheap chinese bike may be a little bit of a bonus...
let me explain... like many people on this forum i have a bike that is my pride and joy.
theres no way i am going to do anything to hurt my beloved ZX6R.

so if i want a cheap bike to muck about with and modify, those little chinese bikes are just the ticket..
being so cheap to start with they are not going to cost a lot second hand Smile so if you muck it up then not so much lost..

i had a CZ125 in the 80`s and it was a lot better than people gave it credit for.. (once you have done a bit of work on it) and it was as tough as old boots, mind you it was as slow compered to japanese strokers of the same size...
it cost me next to nothing to buy and next to nothing to run.
I`m guessing that these little chinese bikes will be in a similar vien.

it`s just a shame that a british company does`nt make some smaller bikes ie 400cc, 250cc, 185cc, and 125cc

sms_sms
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Huoniao HN125-8 and I'm very impressed with it so far.
It's reliable, well built and cost £700 new and including delivery.
Couldn't be more pleased with it. I don't know what everyone has against them unless they're just getting crap makes. Huoniao/Hondgou are the better Chinese bikes.
And I dunno if we're allowed to post links or not but there's a forum for people with Chinese bikes that celebrates these machines! https://chinesebikeforum.webuda.com
Seriously everyone give 'em a chance!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:03 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

sms_sms wrote:

Seriously everyone give 'em a chance!

How long have you had yours for?
My opinion has been formed by the many many people on here - quite a lot you will see with a similar opinion to yours and if you look back through the threads, you will often find an update a year later or the same poster admitting they made a mistake and wishing they hadn't bought the chinese bike due to it falling apart etc.

Further, say 1 in 5 are bad, there's a good chance yours is one of the good ones, but that's still an absolutely terrible proportion, not one I'd be willing to risk my money on.

However, judging by people's experiences on here, I'd say it seems to be more like 4 out of 5 people have bad experiences at least.

If I could pick a second hand one up for peanuts, I'd be tempted, but generally bargains with Japanese bikes aren't that hard to find if you look around.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh even my commie father who is a staunch PRC supporter is wary of made in China stuff these days and won't buy made in China anymore. Speaks volumes.

sms_sms
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:15 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to get a second hand Jap but my god they were all so expensive and most of em were shite anyway i.e. old n falling to bits so I just thought I'll just go with the bike I've got now as I'd heard loads of good stuff about them.
Go to reviewcentre.com and there's a lot of reviews about it and overall 4 out of 5 stars for the bike. That many people can't be wrong eh lol.
And I've had it for six months Smile

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

sms_sms wrote:
Go to reviewcentre.com and there's a lot of reviews about it and overall 4 out of 5 stars for the bike. That many people can't be wrong eh lol.

People invariably approve of products they have personally chosen and paid for. Otherwise, they'd be admitting to themselves and others that they made a mistake. And nobody likes to do that.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:36 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:

People invariably approve of products they have personally chosen and paid for. Otherwise, they'd be admitting to themselves and others that they made a mistake. And nobody likes to do that.

Cognititive dissonance, heh I read something recently about these two people who were fairly well off in School and one owned the Nintendo power glove the other owned another rubbish perifferal where it detected your hand movements (this was 80s hardware btw) nobody else could afford them so they used to argue that their's was better than each others but both secretly knew they were pants.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:04 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

sms_sms wrote:

See the readership figures for the daily mail, a hell of a lot of people can be 'wrong' Wink. And of course there's undoubtedly 'that many' people saying bad things about them too in other places, such as her.
Further, personally I don't trust those sites very much at all - as above, we have many times on here seen that people naturally defend the choices they have made, especially when it involves having spent a lot of money.

SonicTheHedge...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:11 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real reason they're crap is the manufacturers don't want to/can't pay attention to materials specs.

I had the privilege of talking to a UK engineer who was contracted out to a Chinese motor manufacturer - the attitude was "You should be using this grade of steel here...", 'No, we use this, it costs less.', and then they wondered why everything folded up under pressure.

They don't have the same concepts of quality. Yet. They will eventually...

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two reasons why people keep on buying them I suppose. Firstly they can make a good cheap first bike. It's very easy to find a zero or very low mileage bike for about £500. Me and my brother both managed it, my brother still uses his sinnis bike every day while commuting.

They'll work for as long as they work for (certainly as long as you'd want to stay on a 125cc bike, definitely not 20 years) and while they have no resell value, you're very likely to smash up your first bike anyway. I know I did so it was definitely the best purchase I could have made Laughing

Secondly, people don't know any better. Some people have never had enough time on a japanese bike to realise what they are missing Neutral poor people.

They aren't anywhere near as good or reliable than bikes sourced from elsewhere though.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no space in my garage at the moment as i have two projects to finish : an XS400=95% done, an XS250 field bike= not started yet

once they are done i am going to look for a chinese bike to mod/muck about with?
i will be specificly looking at a chinese bike because they are cheap and there are plenty of them around.
i for one am glad ther are a few around as it will give me a chance to work on/ play with a bike without worring to much about cost.
secondly... how many folks have started on these cheap bikes and gone on to be life-long bikers
they started on those bikes because that is what they could afford.

we all know that these chinese bikes have some quality issues, but from what i have seen they are getting better...... so maybe the established bike makers should be taking note and getting thier quality up to a better standard if they want us to keep buying thier bikes.
After all the British bike industry died on it`s arse because it failed to recognise the threat from the Japanese.

duncan111180
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 21 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well admitting to owning a chinese bike I can't complain I have a 07 plate superbyke RBP125 bought it nov 09 for £550 so far the problems I have had are, change the rear tyre (got a puncture), replaced a front engine mount, and repaired the same oil leak twice, this hasn't bothered me because have done all repairs myself have also found parts easy enough to come by with the superbyke website, so yes I agree they may not be the most reliable of bikes but they are not the dangerous death traps people make them out to be.
If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and want to learn your way about a bike charge on.

baker85
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:27 - 24 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought i would give my two cents as ive owned a chinese bike for 6 months now. i bought my TMEC 125 - 1 (honda XR Clone) for £600 looking good as new with 500miles on the clock off ebay. since then ive had sh*tloads go wrong on it. heres a list.

* tool box/tray fell off after couple of hundred miles (lost forever)
*Chain was stretching by the day and had to be tightened up regularly
*Rear break disk came loose and the bolts holding it in mangled the inside of the caliper bracket.
*front break caliper lost its retaining pin and ejected the pads. (i was doing 55mph at the time in the driving rain)
*first time i dropped it the handlebars turned to mush (could bend them to 90 degrees with one arm) have since replaced these with renthals.
*Exaust manifold nuts kept coming loose from vibration and being replaced.
*exhaust manifold pins eventualy gave way (snapped of inside the engine block) drilled out and had heli-coils put in.
*Heaps of electrical problems. blown fuzes, bulbs, flasher units. *the indicators no longer work at all.
*the chain is now that streched that there is no more room on the swingarm to move the wheel back to tighten it. getting this done soon.
*sidestand springs went.
*brakelight no longer works for front brake.
*the bike didnt like the rain. found out this was a damp ht lead problem and have since replaced/sealed it up
*ignition doesnt work right anymore. (will start and run without the key)
*rear brake caliper seized up.
*Headstock bearings went tight in the middle. had these replaced.
*rear wheel bearings have disintigrated twice now.
*clutch and speedo cable snapped
*exhaust baffle come loose and rattling about in the end can.
*petrol tank leaks.
*Fuel tap "snapped off" while i was swiching from reserve. (lost nearly 3 galon of fuel)

.....this list could be longer.

BUT having said all this i still like the bike. it (after ALOT of tinkering) still gets me where i wanna go, the engine is perfect and aside the "damp HT lead" problem has never skipped a beat. for the price i paid for it, the cheap running costs (i did most of the mainainance myself) and the 8K miles if done on it. im happy with it and have had lots of fun on it. For my first bike ive learned a hell of a lot about both riding and maintaining a bike and not spent alot of £££ in the process.

im now ready to move on to bigger better things and as soon as i have the cash for a bigger bike ill be booking in for my test.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21