Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Speed Triple, not starting.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Reppyboyo
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:22 - 07 Feb 2010    Post subject: Speed Triple, not starting. Reply with quote

Hi,

As of Friday by Speed Triple (07, newer ECU type) wont start.
Did nothing to it but wash it, started it up fine try dry it off a little and turned off a few minutes after.
Forward about 20 minutes, the bike wont start at all.
It tries to, seems to attempt to catch every few turns but simply wont start.
Battery got low, charged it over night and tried again today, still no starting.

Got the tuneboy out, no errors, downloaded the same map I had on there already.
Reset the ISCV, which seemed to help a little as it catched more than before.
Left it half an hour, came back and now it doesnt even attempt to start, pushing the button now gives me a loud click from the back of the bike and the entire thing resets. (tach does its self-diagnostics thing)

Any idea what the hell is happening here?
Only thing I`ve gained is that the battery appears to be on its way out.

As of now, i`ve had the tank off and checked the plugs, they look fine, no water ingress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq-9es0yblc

Vid of the sounds im getting and the 'click'.

crackpotterpi...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:59 - 07 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have any doubts about the battery,replace that first as low battery voltages can make newer bikes do "weird"things.Or you could try jump starting it off your car with the current battery still connected.............your original fault after washing it does sound like water ingress somewhere you could try spraying liberal amounts of wd 40 or an alternative water dispersant around all main relay and ecu connections, dont forget the ht leads..........let me know Smile

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 07 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done the idiot check? I had a very similar thing and it turned out my kill switch was very slightly in, causing the engine to turn over in a very haphazard way until the battery was drained.

Just check every system that could accidentally be triggered and stop the engine firing... fuel switch, kill switch etc

Drew

Reppyboyo
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:36 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I`ve got the bike turning over again. Thats one thing at least.

However, it still isnt starting.
I get the occasional 'thud' of the engine trying to start but nothing more.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:48 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

crackpotterpig wrote:
if you have any doubts about the battery,replace that first as low battery voltages can make newer bikes do "weird"things.Or you could try jump starting it off your car with the current battery still connected.............your original fault after washing it does sound like water ingress somewhere you could try spraying liberal amounts of wd 40 or an alternative water dispersant around all main relay and ecu connections, dont forget the ht leads..........let me know Smile

Chuck £50 away on a new battery when it could be fine? I wouldn't.

If it's turning over that rules out fuses, alarms, kill and sidestand switch.

I agree with Poseidon hook it up to a car and crank it over it should turn over very strong.

You could also try getting someone to crank it while you look round the bike in the dark look for the HT leads arcing to somthing, although I doubt there will be anything expsoed you can see on a trip.

Next would be to take the tank off and check for a spark.

Streching it abit have you tried bumping it?

Reppyboyo
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:21 - 10 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, stinks of petrol.

I`ve checked the plugs and they appeared fine to me.

Come across a stranger problem now.

Turn the bike on, oil and engine lights remain on as usual, neutral light off.
Press ANY of the buttons on the speedo and the engine light goes out, release the button and it comes on again.

Try to start the bike, fail, engine light is off neutral light is on.
Pretty ANY of the buttons on the speedo and the neutral light goes off, release the button and it comes on again.

What the fuck?

SW Motech Shop UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:37 - 11 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few injected Triumphs. Sounds to me like a naff battery and fouled plugs. Just change them, dont bother trying to clean them. It wont work. These bikes will turn over with 10-12 v but wont fire up unless the batteries cranking amps are sufficient. Take the battery to a shop for a drop test to confirm.

Reppyboyo
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:06 - 12 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connected up another battery to my own (which had been freshly charged at the time) and it made no difference.

The speedo is still being odd with the lights.

Going to put some fresh fuel and and get some plugs.
Otherwise going to pop the tank off and give all the connections I see a good dose of GT85.

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 12 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump it Smile.

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 12 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very similar problem with mine and it was the battery... it took a couple of different one's to get it going again, it seems very fussy with batteries and if you're not hitting exactly the right voltage it just doesn't bother starting!

As you've tried a couple now maybe yours isn't the same issue - but it does sound very similar!

The other option is that the top of the engine block by the spark plugs there is a 'rim' around the edge that allows a pool of water to sit around the top of the plugs... that caused a problem for me once and had to put some sealant around to stop the water gathering there.

Anyway - good luck - hope you get her running again!

Rob

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:30 - 12 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hook it up to a car battery, that will rule out any problems with it.

When my S4 had a fubar battery it would start but the clocks would go crazy and keep reseting.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 12 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reppyboyo wrote:
Yup, stinks of petrol.
Turn the bike on, oil and engine lights remain on as usual, neutral light off.
Press ANY of the buttons on the speedo and the engine light goes out, release the button and it comes on again.

Try to start the bike, fail, engine light is off neutral light is on.
Pretty ANY of the buttons on the speedo and the neutral light goes off, release the button and it comes on again.

What the fuck?

Sounds like a duff earth... Not had it on the bike, but had it with the car. Turn ignition and all the usual warning lights came on, yet as soon as you try and start the thing, everything went off as if there was no power. Fixed it by replacing the earth terminal. Might be worth checking the earth on the bike and wiggling the connection whilst trying to start it.

Drew

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 12 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sounds like dodgy wiring to me.. Find all the earth points and visually inspect them. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Reppyboyo
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:41 - 12 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I dont have a clue where any of the earth points are.

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 12 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be one from the starter motor, check that one first Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1