Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Auxiliary Gatso Cameras at Gatso sites?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:02 - 22 Feb 2010    Post subject: Auxiliary Gatso Cameras at Gatso sites? Reply with quote

Right, this is a picture of a Gatso I used to take great delight in wheelying through. Basically, if you go through at the right speed and clutch it as you hit the lines, they don't 'notice' you.

Huzzah Thumbs Up

About a year back they put these extra cameras up there, and apparently in a lot of other places in Hertfordshire.

Since then, I have not wheelied through it Laughing

Anyone confirm that they're pretty much there for that purpose? They're marked 'Gatso' as well.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 22 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Is it a camera or flash unit? Could it be a flash setup so it is further from the camera, possibly to reduce glare.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 22 Feb 2010    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Gatso Cameras at Gatso sites? Reply with quote

The internet says they are auxiliary flash units - apparently for Gatsos 'upgraded' to digital, as they don't have as wide a range of exposure.
It seems the 'done thing' is to turn them around to face directly in to the Gatso, though whether this helps or not I don't know.

https://img88.imageshack.us/img88/581/dsc0428jpgsb0.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 22 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would one tell? It's on my walk to the gym so I can check on Weds.

But as far as I remember it's like a video camera.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:12 - 22 Feb 2010    Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Gatso Cameras at Gatso sites? Reply with quote

Princess Sunshine wrote:
The internet says they are auxiliary flash units - apparently for Gatsos 'upgraded' to digital, as they don't have as wide a range of exposure.
It seems the 'done thing' is to turn them around to face directly in to the Gatso, though whether this helps or not I don't know.

https://img88.imageshack.us/img88/581/dsc0428jpgsb0.jpg


I love you G... erm I mean Princess Sunshine.

Let the turning commence. That shall be my new drunk mission, although that road is ridiculously busy.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:34 - 23 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed they put one up next to a Gatso near work about 5 or 6 months ago, it's position directly behind the Gatso though and facing in the same direction. I assumed it was some kind of new digital replacement and the old big one would be taken down, apparently not. Must be the most expensive flash unit on earth, bet they cost about £20,000 each.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wabby
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:31 - 23 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
I noticed they put one up next to a Gatso near work about 5 or 6 months ago, it's position directly behind the Gatso though and facing in the same direction. I assumed it was some kind of new digital replacement and the old big one would be taken down, apparently not. Must be the most expensive flash unit on earth, bet they cost about £20,000 each.


But they each earn double that in1 week....
____________________
What restriction?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 23 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
hmm...

*goes to get hacksaw*


Suspect the film cameras used in old Gatsos were worth a fortune. Meant to be rather nice medium format jobbies. Apparently when first used in Germany they regularly got stolen to sell on.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 23 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet suggested that some of the newer ones in the US used a reasonable model Nikon DSLR.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 227 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.26 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 64.57 Kb