MTB Forks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 02 Mar 2010    Post subject: MTB Forks Reply with quote

are forks generally the same size?

i'm watching a fork that has come off a new 20" halfords bike, i believe its this one

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_518205_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

I'm not 100% sure on my frame size but I think its 21", at work so can't measure.

would a fork from a 20" bike fit a 21"?

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 02 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the size of the steering stem. I don' have a clue if they are all the same size to be honest.

Student
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:57 - 02 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience it doesn't matter what size the frame is, the steering tube is a universal thickness (I believe) and they just have extended length which is then cut down to fit the bike, the difficulty if you've got some forks off a smaller frame is the length of the steering tube, but generally just below the stem you'll have some washers, so if you really want the forks you can pull out some washers to make them fit...

Also depends on the style of headset/stem you have (If you look at a bike costing over £200 you'll notice the bit joining the handle bars to the forks is different to that on a £75 bike..)

But in general, the size problems can be solved.. Just depends on your current set up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 02 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

both forks are el cheapo Suntour ones, however the ones i am looking at are the 2010 version with lockout, otherwise i wouldn't bother.

both bikes use a 26inch wheel so that suggested the lower fork length should be the same, and i presume disk mounts are universal.

fingers crossed the go cheap enough no to care if they fit or not

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 02 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disc mounts are universal, yes

Forks - I think they're not all the same length - fairly sure as long as you get XC (Cross Country) forks and not DH (Downhill) forks you'll be alright as far as length is concerned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 02 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine are

SR-XCM-V2 according to an archived evans cycles link

the ones i am watching are

Suntour XCM-V2 forks, 100mm of travel and lock out

according to halfords.

identical imo bar lockout

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 17:26 - 02 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Disc mounts are universal, yes

No they're not. It's been a while since I looked at mtb forks, but I remember there being Boxxer mounts, Shimano mounts, and standard mounts, along with a slight variation on standard mounts. Plus there's Manitou's insane mounting method, which is, if I remember correctly, at 90 degrees to everyone else's.

Sorry - that was pertaining to caliper mounts, since that's what goes on the fork. Disc mount are also different, depending on the hub type: there's 6 bolt, 5 bolt, and Shimano's proprietary system, off the top of my head. There may be other permutations.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 02 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) You need the correct steerer length. You can cut down long ones and/or add spacers but you can't make it longer.

2) Correct headset diameter. Things are changing but 1" or 1&1/8". Possibly more?

3) Threaded or A-Head headset style.

4) Disk mount or V's. Then as above, various types of disk mounts. . .

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 21:22 - 02 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cagiva gezzer summed it up. They might fit, a picture of your bike/frame and some details (such as age), might help to tell.

If it's all for a lockout though I wouldn't bother, it's massively overrated.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 02 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike its been removed from

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_518205_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#

bike its for

https://www.evanscycles.com/products/ridgeback/mx5-2009-mountain-bike-ec017042

only bothered as its cheap

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 00:18 - 03 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going off the photos the head tube doesn't look unusually long on the Ridgeback, and the Carrera has quite a few spacers above the head tube, so for steerer length you could be ok. You have to be careful judging it by photos though - they don't photo every size so it could be 17" frames we're looking at.

On the other items cagiva gezzer mentioned you are ok, both are aheadset, both use same brake mounts, fork is identical.

Usually when selling forks the seller should state the steerer length so that you can check whether they are long enough.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 03 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

just been to look at a bike (mx5 2010 model) that has the fork I am watching and I don't think it'll work.

the new fork has the caliper radial mounted where as my bike is old school mounted.

will double check but it's not looking good
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1