Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TDR 125 & Varadero XL 125V

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

PostPosted: 01:42 - 26 Feb 2002    Post subject: TDR 125 & Varadero XL 125V Reply with quote

Since the insurance group my NS 1 is in has gone up I was thinkin of the Yamaha TDR 125 and Honda Varadero 125 as an alternative. They are in a lower group even though there bigger engined bikes.
Has anyone ever had or riden either of these bikes? Anyone know anything about them! I prefer the race style bikes but these dont look bad with their Paris-Dakar offroad look to them.
Honda's :
https://varadero125.online.fr/Images/Ma_Vara8.jpg

Yamaha's with the cool twin headlight:
https://www.geocities.com/dwess_99/tdr125/tdrpicrechts.jpg
You must be logged in to rate posts

Shamrock
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:51 - 26 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats me Shamrock by the way. Keep getting bloody logged out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

batman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:25 - 26 Feb 2002    Post subject: xl v tdr Reply with quote

get the varadero, its four stroke, and looks well better
also ive heard some nasty stories about tdr's being unreliable, and they look arse
the varadero all the way i think, it looks well

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:49 - 26 Feb 2002    Post subject: xl v tdr Reply with quote

batman wrote:

get the varadero, its four stroke

me disagrees, I haven't actually seen much about either but a four stroke v twin 125 vs a 2 stroke single 125 with possible mx heritage?.. I'd go for the 2 sroke.

Shamrock
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:06 - 26 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt realise the Varadero was four stroke. Woudnt that make it a little slow on acceleration being a 125?
Also would they be suitable for offroad use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:12 - 26 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Varadero I wouldn't take near the country side, never mind off road. The TDR would probably fair a bit better, but if you want a bike to go off road get a KMX/DT etc.

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 26 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting the mini-vara so was doing loads of research into it. sounds nice, looks ok, good accesories and good on the fuel.
BUT it's heavy and although it's got a better power/weight ratio than the NSR (in restricted form-the NSR's still waiting to be updated to new learner laws) it struggles above 50mpg. NOT good for motorway use!
the cityfly is nippier and quicker than the varadero. hell...so is the CG fo F's sake!lol!
i don't know anything about the TDR though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PostPosted: 17:49 - 27 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TDR is a wicked town bike with supermoto styling all be it slightly dated. It has a 18" front wheel and a 17" rear, so you can get super sticky tyres for it, but still you can fit some proper road tyres unlike a DT/KMX. It handles really well, and in town the high bars and upright riding position, with good steering lock make it easier than a race rep to ride. It will lose out on top end compared to a fully faired NSR, but not too much as a full power one will do 88-90. The lights twin front are good, its got loads of ground clearance, and you can fit a rear rack and plate for a removable top box. The only thing thats bad about the std one is that its slow, even slower than the restriced DT as the pipe has a Cat fitted.(11.6hp) There are aftermarket pipes to release full power,(Arrow&Giannelli) and the power valve needs adjusting to work properly. =26-28hp. The motor is very reliable for a 2 stroke and the DT/TDR motor is my second favorite 125 engine after the KMX motor. It can be tuned and made faster being a 2 stroke where as i cant see any ways that you could make a Varado 125 go much quicker.

Keen

PostPosted: 17:51 - 03 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone got a picture of a Yamaha TDR? theres quite a few cheap ones about, but I never considered them until now.

Shamrock
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:49 - 03 Mar 2002    Post subject: Pic Reply with quote

Lets see if this works!
https://www.mcpoolen.se/images/mc/2001/yamaha/tdr125/bla-sida-hub.gif

Last edited by Shamrock on 02:06 - 04 Mar 2002; edited 2 times in total

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:46 - 03 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks exactely the same as my avitar. Will sort it out one day...

Shamrock
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:08 - 04 Mar 2002    Post subject: not loading Reply with quote

Ah got it eventually Dylan!

Keen

PostPosted: 09:17 - 04 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do these things have a TZR engine in them?, if so they must be pretty nippy, but I can't decide if I like the looks- at least you'd be different I suppose.

Shamrock
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:13 - 09 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a Varadero out today. Nice big bike and the engine sounds big and powerfull. You woudnt think it was a 125 anyway!
Reckon it aint the nippiest though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1