Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda xr 125 will not idle

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

random_rob
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 16 Mar 2010    Post subject: Honda xr 125 will not idle Reply with quote

Hi, Ive got a honda xr 125. It will not idle. When warmed up it will idle for about 20seconds then cut out.
Im opperating the choke correctly.
When ive just started the bike up i have to keep revving it a bit so it doesnt cut out.
I have cleaned the carb soaked it in meths for a couple of hours, cleaned all injectors, and the fuel is fine.
Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 16 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

adjust the idle speed.
should be a little screw on your carbs

cloric_tzr
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:57 - 16 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_godfather wrote:
adjust the idle speed.
should be a little screw on your carbs

with a spring on it Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

random_rob
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 16 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right, the spring shouldnt be visible though should it, i should only see that if i take the little grub screw out.
I only have one carb as far as i can see.
ive turned it about a quarter of a turn, that has fixed it, but when i rev it, it holds its revs for ages before they drop. haha
tweaked it back, and got a sort of happy medium.
not 100% though.
is alot better though.
any other ideas anyone??

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 17 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you have an air leak somewhere

random_rob
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 17 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh right, that doesnt sound good??
where could it be, between airbox and engine? or could it be anywhere.
Its loads better today. Hasnt held its revs at all theyve dropped as soon as i release the throttle, and started first time without cutting out.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 17 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

For it to keep the revs up it will be on the other side between the carb and the engine.

Sounds like its doing what my bike does pretty much exactly, my revs end up sitting at 3k rpm and I have to hold the brakes on and release the clutch a little to bring them down or else it over heats if I leave it sitting that high Laughing

It pretty easy to check if they're leaking, get some easy start or carb cleaning spray and spray the area where you think the leak is, the revs will pick up if it is leaking.

Not sure it is caused by a leak though, or at least I don't think mine is, normaly a leak will cause the revs to rise on there own where as yours just sounds like it isnt setting back down after being revved, more like the throttle is getting stuck open a bit somehow.

Not saying thats definetly it though.

Nice and unhelpful there Laughing

c_dug

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 17 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you adjusted the idle speed did you make sure that the engine had warmed up FULLY before adjusting it. this doesn't mean sitting on your driveway for 5 minutes. needs to have been moving on a decent ride for at the very least 15minutes.
also when you adjusted the idle speed did you give it a moment to settle back down again.

i had a similar sort of problem on my xr125. i was still riding through the winter and it would start fine with the choke. i would then have to have the bike on half choke for a minute or two otherwise it would cut out when i came to a stop at a junction.
another note: the idle screw is fairly sensitive on the xr. a quarter of a turn should be more than enough

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:13 - 17 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

random_rob wrote:
Ah right, the spring shouldnt be visible though should it, i should only see that if i take the little grub screw out.
ive turned it about a quarter of a turn, that has fixed it, but when i rev it, it holds its revs for ages before they drop. haha
not 100% though.
is alot better though.
any other ideas anyone??

that sounds more like the air mixture screw

this might give you a better idea, although not the same carb

https://www.fixya.com/uploads/Images/173BCAD.jpg

random_rob
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

boundy wrote:
random_rob wrote:
not 100% though.
is alot better though.
any other ideas anyone??

that sounds more like the air mixture screw

this might give you a better idea, although not the same carb

https://www.fixya.com/uploads/Images/173BCAD.jpg

Thanks for all your help everyone.
Its the air mixture screw ive been messing with! Damn, hope i havnt messed anything up lol.
Will have a look tomorrow when i get back from work when engine will be warm and play with the idle screw, its perfect when warmed up, its just getting it warmed up!

random_rob
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 22 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive looked and cannot see an idle screw. only a 'air mixture screw' if thats what it is im turning on my bike, when i turn it it revs up or down depending which way i turn it.
it seems to be getting alot better now, i just slightly tweek the screw a bit after each ride

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 22 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at the manual for the bike
the only one available for download in the workshop guide on here is in spanish. i used to have the manual on my pc but i am not able to find it.
there is definitely an idle screw on there and it is quite difficult to find if i remember rightly. (i had the same bike a while back)

random_rob
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 22 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh right, i will have a closer look in daylight at the weekend then.
it is a brilliant bike other than that. Do you know what the air mixture needs to be set at then, or just as it is at moment, running smoothly and perfect once warmed up.
I will lok at spanish one if i can find it and try find a pic on there or something.
If you remember where it is or come up with any details or photos, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1