Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Missing fairing and the rain

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Quickly
Crazy Courier



Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Missing fairing and the rain Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this should be in Workshop or here, but I'll plump for here as I could really do with a reply asap. As posted a few days ago, the right hand seat fairing on my VFR 400 has come off and the electrics, wires, brake fluid etc that are normally concealed by it are open to the elements.

I have a replacement fairing in the post but it needed a signature, so now I have to go and collect it from Carlisle 35 miles away. It won't be ready until Monday according to the automated machine, but their office is open on a Saturday and the failed delivery was yesterday, and as I'm going to Scottish Motorcycle Show tomorrow I could really do with it.

Therefore I was going to head down now on the off chance it's there, but it's raining fairly heavily now. I've ridden the bike without its fairing but always in the dry, so I wondered how it would cope as regards water and the electrics?
____________________
...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:40 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be fine. Water gets under the fairing anyway.

Secondly, aren't the electrics all sealed anyway. There shouldn't be any exposed bare wire.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Quickly
Crazy Courier



Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:
Will be fine. Water gets under the fairing anyway.

Secondly, aren't the electrics all sealed anyway. There shouldn't be any exposed bare wire.

Okay, cheers. They are, there aren't any exposed wires, but there are some with just rubber casing. Apologies if it was a bone question I'm just not very mechanically minded.
____________________
...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray with some wd-40 before and after. Or if you've got it, silicone grease in the joins.
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ditto
Nearly there...



Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont see why it would be a problem. Naked bikes are built for riding in the rain and I dont see why a bike with fairing would be built worse just because of the plastic cover.
____________________
CG 125 > Bandit 600 > CBR 600 FY > Street Triple R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that read this as "misfiring in the rain"?

Shouldn't be too bad, doubt anything will get damaged, just rinse it with fresh water under there to get any salt off before you put the new fairing on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salt? Its 15C since they barely gritted the roads in the winter I don't they are gritted now.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:38 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:
Salt? Its 15C since they barely gritted the roads in the winter I don't they are gritted now.


Still a bit of salt round here. They gritted loads round here.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:40 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't your bike would probably explode, or something.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Re: Missing fairing and the rain Reply with quote

Quickly wrote:
I'm not sure if this should be in Workshop or here, but I'll plump for here as I could really do with a reply asap. As posted a few days ago, the right hand seat fairing on my VFR 400 has come off and the electrics, wires, brake fluid etc that are normally concealed by it are open to the elements.

I have a replacement fairing in the post but it needed a signature, so now I have to go and collect it from Carlisle 35 miles away. It won't be ready until Monday according to the automated machine, but their office is open on a Saturday and the failed delivery was yesterday, and as I'm going to Scottish Motorcycle Show tomorrow I could really do with it.

Therefore I was going to head down now on the off chance it's there, but it's raining fairly heavily now. I've ridden the bike without its fairing but always in the dry, so I wondered how it would cope as regards water and the electrics?
Did you actually just ask if your bike is ok to ride in the rain? when it's wet outside - water get's everywhere. So, when you see rain dripping off your fairing it means it's gone behind it too. Wink
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.64 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 64.93 Kb