Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

who takes protein powder?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:04 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: who takes protein powder? Reply with quote

Hello, who here takes protein powder with there workouts?

I would just like to here other peoples views on it all. Currently im taking whey protein from H&B.
On the days i work out its -

40g in the morning
20g 45min before work out and
20g straight after work out

and on my rest days i take 40g in the morning only.

I've been searching other forums for hours and everybody has a different response. Apparently your suppose to take the equlivlent of 1g of protein per pound. Since i weigh 180 pounds i should be taking 180g of protein which is rougly what I aim for.

I train on Mon, Wed and Fri and the other days are my rest days.

Any input of your diet and regime would be much appriatched Karma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two slices of toast & marmalade in the morning before going to the gym and an apple and cup of green tea afterwards (anti-oxidants for the free-radicals produced by the workout).

All these special foods are, in my opinion, a bunch of bollocks. Maybe at the highest end of the training spectrum, for the Arnie types, they're good for something, but for normal people there are bannanas and cans of tuna. Laughing

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 12:22 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been searching other forums for hours and everybody has a different response. Apparently your suppose to take the equlivlent of 1g of protein per pound. Since i weigh 180 pounds i should be taking 180g of protein which is rougly what I aim for.

There are various amounts recomended, as mentioned it only matters if your working enough.

Also Whey is a supplement, the clue is in the name. If your basic diet is not good enough then there is no point taking whey. Your body will only consume as much protein as it needs anyway, any excess is wee'd out. So if you arent working hard enough then theres no point either.

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi aka Reuben wrote:
Your body will only consume as much protein as it needs anyway, any excess is wee'd out.

If you are pissing out protein then you have some serious renal problems Shocked I know what you mean though Wink

Trying to consume 180g of protein in one day is tough, think the most I could stand was 120g and that was being very strict, and wasn't made up of just protein powder but lean meats as well.

As you have observed yourself, people will argue about this long after the cows have come home, but really as said, it's a supplement so shouldn't be the main source of protein.

When I'm training properly, I'll probably have some protein powder mixed with porridge oats in the morning, a protein drink after a workout, and maybe one before bed. When I was seriously training hard I'd have one before the gym as well. You have to bear in mind the shit aint cheap when you're having 3-4 a day.

Bottom line is find out what works for you and adapt. This can take a long time because you will typically want to try a particular regimen for 3 months to assess it's efficacy, meaning you might try 4 different things in a year... providing you don't injure yourself and have to take time out of course....

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:31 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

Trying to consume 180g of protein in one day is tough, think the most I could stand was 120g and that was being very strict, and wasn't made up of just protein powder but lean meats as well.

[/quote]

The protein drink is really just to top up my protein intake, like you i try to get most of my protein from "normal" foods such as eggs, lean meat etc

I was reading another forum and one guy suggested that people who weigh 180 pounds should be taking 280g of protein per day! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 13:43 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

mach206 wrote:

I was reading another forum and one guy suggested that people who weigh 180 pounds should be taking 280g of protein per day! Shocked

Haha, all guilt absolved. Laughing (Today is an off day, and I've just had three turkey thigh/legs for dinner).

Funnily enough I was down the gym yesterday, and some streak of piss was telling some impressionable (and quite built) asian chap about the miracles of some protein shake.

Having seen said asian bloke peeling a boiled egg in the changing room mid session, I thought I'd let him know he was on the right lines.

'Oh, so what do you use?'

'Me? I just eat fuckloads of meat.' Thumbs Up

If I lived alone again I'd be hunting round for offers on chicken breasts, splitting them, and freezing them into seperate bags. That used to work a treat Thumbs Up

Seriously though, I've never seen someone who actually has a good built body with that shite in their kitchen. Only the wannabes, as some kind of quick fix.

Beeeeeeefcake!
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

mach206 wrote:

[/quote]

The protein drink is really just to top up my protein intake, like you i try to get most of my protein from "normal" foods such as eggs, lean meat etc

I was reading another forum and one guy suggested that people who weigh 180 pounds should be taking 280g of protein per day! Shocked[/quote]

Yeah, that might work for people who load up on steroids and everything else, but the vast majority of people can only digest I think around 20-30g of protein per hour, so all they are really doing is increasing how much bog roll they have to use. As said, that'd be a lot of money as well in conjunction with any other supplements such as creatine etc.

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

Paulington
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My FitDay account tells me I am eating on average 150g of Protein per day, recently however I've been bumping that up to around 180g as I need it to maintain muscle mass, my diet makeup is:

40% Protein
42% Fats
18% Carbs.

Which is perfect as I am trying to cut down at the moment.

I weigh 175lbs btw.

I use no protein powders, no protein shakes or anything like that, the only thing I DO use is a multivitamin to make sure I get my Vit D, C and A etc.

I work out Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and on Wednesdays I swim, Sunday is my only day off from the gym. My workouts generally consist of an hour or so of lifting and half hour-hour of medium intensity cardio.

It all depends on what you want to achieve, if you are trying to lose weight, eat a decent amount of protein but not the 1.5g/lb most sites say, if you are trying to get huge from muscle, eat more protein.

HTH! Thumbs Up.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 14:31 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulington wrote:

It all depends on what you want to achieve, if you are trying to lose weight, eat a decent amount of protein but not the 1.5g/lb most sites say, if you are trying to get huge from muscle, eat more protein.

I want to look good naked

https://media.rd.com/rd/images/rdc/slideshows/oscars-2009/oscars-actor-american-beauty-02-ss.jpg
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

Paulington
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonny wrote:
I want to look good naked

Look good naked like this:

https://www.itrening.pl/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/mariusz-pudzianowski.jpg

or look good naked like this?

https://amysrobot.com/files/reynolds_ripped.jpg.

If your cock is small, neither will help. Laughing.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 14:40 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muscle really isn't much of a drive for me, although it's nice to see them rippling about.

So I'd go for second.

And my cock was big enough for ya mam. Oooh, burned.

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulington wrote:
My FitDay account tells me I am eating on average 150g of Protein per day, recently however I've been bumping that up to around 180g as I need it to maintain muscle mass, my diet makeup is:

40% Protein
42% Fats
18% Carbs.

I weigh 175lbs btw.

I use no protein powders, no protein shakes or anything like that, the only thing I DO use is a multivitamin to make sure I get my Vit D, C and A etc.

I work out Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and on Wednesdays I swim, Sunday is my only day off from the gym. My workouts generally consist of an hour or so of lifting and half hour-hour of medium intensity cardio.

HTH! Thumbs Up.

Should it not be the other way round with fats and carbs, percentage wise?

TomR6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it as a supplement yeah, but by diet isn't built around them.

PWO it's the easiest way for me to get some carbs/ protein in quickly.

Sometimes will have one on a morning if I'm late and can't get breakfast. Otherwise it's all food.

Generally get 200g's of protein a day, 80g max from shakes. It's working for me anyway.

TomR6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fawbish wrote:
Paulington wrote:

40% Protein
42% Fats
18% Carbs.

I weigh 175lbs btw.

HTH! Thumbs Up.

Generally, depends on goals, for cutting you'll want lower carbs, higher fats. Opposite for bulking.

Carl_steveo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Re: who takes protein powder? Reply with quote

mach206 wrote:
Hello, who here takes protein powder with there workouts?

Gays.

Whilst on the subject, paulington how gay was your post about naked me. Confused

Paulington
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fawbish wrote:

No, 40/40/20 is generally the 'best' cutting diet you can do, it works for me anyway!

Since you aren't eating that many carbs (I only eat carbs after workouts and none after 5pm) your body has to start using its own glycogen supplies (your fat) in order to gain energy.

Eating fats won't make you put on fat.

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

And is this geared towards losing/toning? (I read cutting somewhere).

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomR6 wrote:
Fawbish wrote:

Generally, depends on goals, for cutting you'll want lower carbs, higher fats. Opposite for bulking.

Ah yeah. I was wondering - I got confused because I've been looking at gaining stuff. Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:11 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulington wrote:

Eating fats won't make you put on fat.

I think that's what they told the Americans Wink.

I generally do have a protein shake after a workout on the basis that it should be making the most of my work out as such - might as well have as much as possible of the work I do be 'useful'.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMMMM protein, I eat loads of whey tbh

I also eat loads of eggs (6 a day, everyday), meat and vegetables too mind. I just love eating if I am honest Very Happy

Three reasons i eat whey:

1. It is a quickly assimilated form of protein, ideal for post workout
2. It is a very cheap form of protein
3. Everybody loves milkshake

R6jonny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:27 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want roughly 1g of proten per lb of LEAN body mass, not per lb of mass....

You want to find out your body fat % and work out your LBM from that, you probably dont want 180g of protein per day..

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximuscle Cyclone and Creatamax Extreme once in the morning and once after my work out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TomR6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevoriv wrote:
Maximuscle Cyclone and Creatamax Extreme once in the morning and once after my work out.

How's your wallet Laughing

How much protein per day depends who you ask. I'd always err on the too much side rather than the not enough (As long as it fits into your calorie requirements)

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ay it's all about myprotein.co.uk, you simply cannot get cheaper for stuff that doesn't make you gag.

GhostRider

TomR6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Although Bulkpowders brought out a load of flavoured concentrate recently. Haven't heard anything about it taste wise yet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2