Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

France's 100 HP restriction

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kage010
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:05 - 27 Mar 2010    Post subject: France's 100 HP restriction Reply with quote

I went to the Honda shop here in France today to talk to them about my idea of bringing a UK CBR 600RR 2009 back to France and to ask about the headlights change etc.

And the guy at the shop said to me that the headlights wont be so much of a problem, the problem will be that the French law states that all motorbikes must not exceed 100 Horsepower, and he claimed that the 2009 CBR 600RR was approximately 126 HP (but after doing some research at home on the net I think its around 118 HP) anyway, and he said that the whole procedure to restrict the HP to 100 would cost upwards from 2000 Euros!

Does anyone know what the actual mechanical procedure to restrict horsepower is and how to reverse it? How the hell can it cost that much? From what I can see from looking on the net is that is is mainly the ECU CDI unit, and it seems that it has something to do with the keys and ignition system?

Can anyone elaborate on this?

I've seen the ECU CDI kit on ebay for around about 350-500 pounds, but it seems that the are selling the un-registered HP ones instead of the HP registered ones. Makes sense really, there probably wouldn't be so many people looking for a HP registered ECU for a bike (apart from me)

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-CBR600RR7-RR-7-2009-ECU-Assembly-Keihin-HISS_W0QQitemZ170452077510QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item27afbc4bc6

Is it possible to change this unit for a restricted one just for long enough the get it past the necessary French tests and then change it back so it is at its full power?

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:13 - 27 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would be surprised if the restriction is just basically the ECU. Would expect them to have used different cams.

Do you know anyone in France who could loan you the parts?

Having said that I know someone who moved to France with a 'busa a few years back. Last I heard they still hadn't got it registered.

All the best

Keith

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 27 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're only about 105-110bhp at the wheel, and I understand that's what counts.

I'd have thought it would be fairly easy to get a power commander (£300) and a custom power map made (£60) that simply tails the top end off a little to get you under 100bhp.They could measure it all they like and you'll be under.

The benefit of that is that you can easily switch the standard map back in Twisted Evil

GSF Jamie 600
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:26 - 28 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the restriction only apply if your living in france?
or even if you are just riding through?
my bike isn't over 100bhp anyways just interested Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:29 - 28 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Applies for bikes registered in France. Think for the registration its needs to be modified to French specification, and suspect a bodge using a Power Commander wouldn't count.

All the best

Keith

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:28 - 28 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for a fact carbed R1's are nothing more than a small rubber insert that prevents the slides lifting.

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 28 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my German TL1000s it had a restriction in the inlets between the throttle bodies and the motor, and it had a different ecu. All sorted with a dremel and ebay.

The french and swiss models however, had different cams etc, to bring the power below 100bhp.

Worth researching...

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 28 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a time limit for keeping a UK bike in France after which restriction is mandatory. I can't remember how long it is but I think it was measured in months rather than years.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:36 - 28 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad had is R1 in France with him while he was working out there, he had it out there for 6months+ and didn't have any problems.

Are you moving out there or just working there for a while?

kage010
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:48 - 29 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Do you know anyone in France who could loan you the parts?

Having said that I know someone who moved to France with a 'busa a few years back. Last I heard they still hadn't got it registered.

No unfortunately I dont know anyone here who can lend me the parts to change it over.

Your friend with the busa, what did he do then? Keep it registered in the UK while he was in France?

Alex A wrote:

I'd have thought it would be fairly easy to get a power commander (£300) and a custom power map made (£60) that simply tails the top end off a little to get you under 100bhp.They could measure it all they like and you'll be under.

The benefit of that is that you can easily switch the standard map back in Twisted Evil

I'm not sure about how playing with the ECU or getting a power commander will go with insurance? The power commander seems like the best option so far though

CHR15 wrote:

couldnt you just drive it there, and bring it back to dover / portsmouth for an mot once a year?

i assume if you just ride it in, you wont have to restrict it?

This is also a very good option, the downside is getting insurance and which UK insurer would insure me while living in France? Or getting French insurance on a UK unrestricted bike would be near impossible I think (the French are really anal with their rules and paperwork)

I can legally have the bike here for 6 months before having to register it here in France, after that as a loophole I could keep it registered at a mates address in London, but yeah I would have to ride back to Dover every year for the MOT and I'm in the south of France, its pretty far.

GSF Jamie 600 wrote:

does the restriction only apply if your living in france?
or even if you are just riding through?
my bike isn't over 100bhp anyways just interested Thumbs Up

Well this is the funny part, if anyone from any other country comes to France, its perfectly legal for them to ride an unrestricted bike. -On the same roads as the poor French suckers who are riding their restricted bikes.

The not funny part is that after living here for nearly a year I have the same rights as one of those 'poor French suckers'

But the upside is that if I did get pulled over with an unrestricted UK bike, I could just pretend not to speak French, and say that I was english and just going for a ride through France. Its just the insurance that I'm still worried about ..

Kickstart wrote:

Think for the registration its needs to be modified to French specification, and suspect a bodge using a Power Commander wouldn't count.

You might be right, I really need to find out more information as to what they actually test for before the bike can be registered here. Its annoying too because my French is still not too hot either, its difficult for me to understand everything when I call up. Maybe I should try to post something on a French forum.

I think it costs money every time you get them to test it too, and I've been told that it can take up to three weeks too! I think they keep your bike for those whole three weeks too! The system here sucks!
It would be pretty crap if you had to wait 3 weeks to get it tested and be told that its not ok and you have to fix it and send it back to be tested... thats what I am trying to avoid.

ram_doom wrote:

The french and swiss models however, had different cams etc, to bring the power below 100bhp.

That would explain why the guys at the Honda shop said it would be upwards from 2000 Euros to do the change over I guess huh?

but once again its a matter of 'do they need to see the changed and restricted cams' to let me register it here? I need to know what they are testing for.

boundy wrote:

My Dad had is R1 in France with him while he was working out there, he had it out there for 6months+ and didn't have any problems.

Are you moving out there or just working there for a while?

Do you know what your Dad did for insurance when he was here in France? I would like to know if there is a way to have the bike insured for being in France indefinitely, under UK insurance. I saw one insurer that said it was insured anywhere in Europe for 90 days, but I need full cover all year round.

Yeah I'm living here now in the south of France,

Cheers everyone for your help, I hope I can get to the bottom of this and find out what these bastards are testing for.

https://geneva.angloinfo.com/countries/france/motoregister.asp

I found this website that tells me about the whole importing process, I think I will have to get my girlfriend (she is French) to call the 'Centre des Impots' and the ' DRIRE' for the 'La fiche d'homologation'
and maybe she can get some more info for me to go on.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:01 - 29 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

kage010 wrote:
Your friend with the busa, what did he do then? Keep it registered in the UK while he was in France?

Afraid I have lost touch with them.

kage010 wrote:
This is also a very good option, the downside is getting insurance and which UK insurer would insure me while living in France?

If you were still UK resident it probably isn't a big problem. Any UK policy would have to cover you for min legal cover through Europe. However not being UK resident then not sure you could legitimately have a UK policy.

kage010 wrote:
You might be right, I really need to find out more information as to what they actually test for before the bike can be registered here. Its annoying too because my French is still not too hot either, its difficult for me to understand everything when I call up. Maybe I should try to post something on a French forum.

Definitely. You might well have problems with anything that is non standard (for example). Not sure but I suspect that what you would need is a certificate from Honda that it is to French specification, and probably including what has been changed to bring it to French specification. A power commander would count I suspect (and would probably make it fail on emissions compliance as well).

All the best

Keith

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:21 - 29 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 100bhp limit seems fairly arbitrary. It must be a nightmare to enforce and comply with.

I do wonder if the typical sports 600 would be easier to ride if it was tuned (cams etc.) to beef up the mid-range at the expense of a few bhp at the redline though...

kage010
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:11 - 29 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of the possibility of the bike shop being able to do the HP restriction where I buy the bike from in the UK? that way it is all authorized and I will have the paperwork for it too?

Silly question I guess, I suppose I'll go call the bike shop...

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 29 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you can obtain a temporay registration but i dont know how long for and i am pretty that you will not be able to sold it in france without the administration control document
if you are keen on laws , this site is avaiable (in english also)
https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:15 - 29 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just sell the bike in the UK and buy a French model one in France. Far more straightforward than sorting out restriction, registration, insurance etc.

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:41 - 29 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad was insured by Ebike I think, as they give you 360 days eu cover

kage010
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:35 - 30 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Why not just sell the bike in the UK and buy a French model one in France. Far more straightforward than sorting out restriction, registration, insurance etc.

I haven't actually bought the bike yet, I am looking at buying from the UK because there are a lot more of the model and color of the 2009 CBR 600RR that I am looking for in the UK compared to here in France, and with the fall of the pound vs the euro, the bikes in the UK are a few thousand euros cheaper than the bikes here.

I would be looking at 10,000 euros for a second hand 2009 model here.

Thats why I'm trying to find the best and easiest way to iron out all these other problems with restriction and registration...

boundy wrote:
My Dad was insured by Ebike I think, as they give you 360 days eu cover

Cool, thanks for the info boundy, I just had a look at the site, looks pretty good

kage010
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:02 - 01 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on a French bike forum!!..

Exactly what I wanted to hear! I think it will still be a matter of the mood of the person behind the counter, and their knowledge of the topic when I do go to the prefecture to get the bike registered here in France.

Check it out

Quote:
BIKE REGISTRATION 2003 and newer bikes

We have had a lot of questions regarding this subject, hereunder for the benefit of our newer members coming over to France from the U.K. with their own machines newer than 2003 :-

Under E.U. regulations any motor vehicle manufactured since 1998 (2003 for U.K. Bikes) MUST comply with E.U. Whole Vehicle Type Approval.
EUWVTA ie common approved technical standard. The purpose of EUWVTA is to make it easier for cross border movement of E.U. citizens and their vehicles,which means that such vehicles may be registered in any E.U. member state without further Inspection or Modification.
France is the exception in imposing a national power limit on motorcycles, and French importers will comply by only selling new bikes that fall within this limit. However, under EUWVTA rules, this limit CANNOT be legally applied to POST 2003 Bikes belonging to private E.U. citizens wishing to import their own machines themselves.
In all cases an E.U. Certificate of Conformity is acceptable to the Prefecture who will issue a fully legal Carte Grise.
Provided they are prepared to accept the risk, the insurrers will issue fully legal policies for 106+ BHP bikes.
The French authorities CANNOT refuse to register a bike which has an E.U. Certificate of Conformity. Once it is registered then it is fully legal (it has a Carte Grise.) and can be sold on to another individual, or to a dealer. The dealer can sell it to a buyer because it is already legally registered here and has a Carte Grise.
Whilst French importers may comply with the national law,it is NOT enforceable against individuals that's why the Prefectures will be happy to issue a Carte Grise for 106+ BHP Bikes.
It's an odd situation, but be assurred the French Ministry of Transport have issued clear and precise instructions to the Prefectures regarding this situation.

this has absolutely made my day! Now
I can make some plans to go ahead with buying the bike! Very Happy

wibblywobbly
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:01 - 13 Apr 2010    Post subject: A question re a 2009 Tiger 1050 Reply with quote

I found this thread on a Google search, and I am hoping that someone can unravel a mystery for me.

First of all, who issues the certificate de conformitie? Is it Triumph UK or Triumph France?

Why do I ask?

Well, according to informed sources on one of the French forums, 'Triumph' will not issue the certificate unless evidence in the form of a dealer stamped invoice is produced to show that the headlights have been changed, AND that the power has been reduced.

I rang Triumph UK and customer services confirmed that these two items need to be addressed. The clocks are ok as they can be switched to kms at the press of a button.

I am now confused. If the information provided above is correct, then how can Triumph UK or Triumph France insist on the power restriction? Apparently it requires a remap of the ECU, which is easy enough, though someone on the forum said it required stops in the throttle bodies (which Triumph UK didn't mention at all).

I would happily argue the toss regarding the EEC regs with Triumph UK, but my french isn't good enough to take on Triumph France if I needed to.

As far as the remap is concerned, there would be no way, apart from a dyno test, to see whether it had been remapped. As the whole thing is done by post/paper neither Triumph France or the French authorities would have a clue whether it had been remapped or not.

Apart from which all I would need to do is get someone to rename the UK map as the French one without altering the mapping at all, no one would be any the wiser.

Can anyone shed any light on the procedure, I would be very grateful.

Rob G

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 13 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you not simply put a throttle stop on it?

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 13 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_godfather wrote:
can you not simply put a throttle stop on it?

If moving up to the CBR600RR as my first big bike I might do this anyway to prevent any instant death for myself.

wibblywobbly
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:04 - 13 Apr 2010    Post subject: Thats the problem Reply with quote

Thats where I get confused, Triumph will not issue a Certificate De Conformitie unless the changes that they ordain are installed. It isn't just a matter of restricting power, its restricting power in the way that they decide, or they won't issue the certificate, and without the certificate I can't get the Carte De Grise.

I don't know if they are the only manufacturer that works this way, it will be interesting to see what happens with Honda and the CBR600?

Rob G

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 14 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean only bikes 2003+ need to be restricted?

If so, Buy a low mileage 2003 CBR. Promlem solved
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1