|
|
| Author |
Message |
| UnspeedySam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnspeedySam World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 27cows |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 27cows World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:06 - 11 Apr 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
The notorious RXS fork tops There's a special service tool - kind of like a huge allen key. Even with it, and an overnight soak with PlusGas, they can still be a bastard to get out.
After one nightmare experience, I rebuilt the forks using GS125 stanchions (which have normal chrome fork tops with standard hex fittings). If you manage to get the tops undone, make sure you use copper grease on the threads.
To get me stubborn tops undone I had to resort to using a blowtorch to heat up the end, then use my own homemade version of the service tool (basically a 14mm headed bolt welded to a two foot long bit of scaffold). The fork tops are without doubt the worse aspect of the whole RXS. ____________________ The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnspeedySam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnspeedySam World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnspeedySam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnspeedySam World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 27cows |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 27cows World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:23 - 11 Apr 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
An allen socket might well work, ideally on a breaker bar. Leverage is the key - that and not damaging the fork tops. If they start to round off, only welding something directly to the tops will get them out.
Once you get the tops out, you then need another tool to loosen the damper rod bolts, though you can usually do the job with a long piece of wooden dowelling and the patience of a saint  ____________________ The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnspeedySam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnspeedySam World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:30 - 11 Apr 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Everything else on the RXS is so straight forward and sensible I don't even have a clue what the damper rod bolts are yet. I'm sure I'll find out soon... The caps are currently soaking in penetrating oil so hopefully by the time I get the right tool I'll have some luck... ____________________ Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 27cows |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 27cows World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnspeedySam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnspeedySam World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 27cows |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 27cows World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:06 - 11 Apr 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
There must be tops from other forks that would fit the RXS, but I've never tracked any down. I had a pair of dismantled GS forks that someone gave me. The width and length was the same as the RXS, so I bunged them it. Pair of RD125 springs, 20w fork oil and suddenly the front end was transformed and the handling improved no end.
There are numerous things you can do to make the RXS better (or easier to work on). Use copper grease on threads. Replace any fasteners that take the brunt of the weather, such as the bolts that hold on the front mudguard, with stainless socket caps (note liberal coating of grease to increase mudguard life LOL):
https://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc223/Funkdooby_album/Dscf0532.jpg
And those often prone-to-seizing barrel nuts can be replaced with larger diameter stainless full nuts (with spring washers):
https://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc223/Funkdooby_album/Dscf0418.jpg
Little bits like that can make all the difference, but it would only really be worth bothering if you were intending to keep the bike for years and years like I have LOL ____________________ The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnspeedySam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnspeedySam World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:49 - 11 Apr 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the tips. I'll put copper grease on my shopping list and possibly buy some stainless socket caps but although I can't see myself ever selling Smokey I can't justify the cost of replacing the forks. After the cost of the bike, insurance and all the little bits I've had to buy for it, I really just don't have the money. Maybe when I pass my test and get a bigger bike the RXS can become a project and I can do all these cool upgrades  ____________________ Riding: BMW R1150RT `02 bought mildly crashed
Fixing: Also the BMW as I get less broken bits
Gone: ZZR600 '00, TRX850 '97, RXS100 '93, JS125-6B '07, BMW R1100RS '93, Kawasaki ZX-6R-J2 '01, Honda Bros NT400 NC25 '88 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 27cows |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 27cows World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnspeedySam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnspeedySam World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|