Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Washing a bike helmet liner?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 18 Apr 2010    Post subject: Washing a bike helmet liner? Reply with quote

I've discovered that wearing my shark helmet which fits rather nicely on my head that the insides are just TOO scummy (they were covered in mold when I got my bike back off the container ship)

But then it had been stuck on my head through mud sweat and tears of my Russian Adventure and therefore absorbed rather a lot of my head sweat and grime.

In that when I wear it my skin comes out in a rash and goes lumpy for a few days.

It can't be as simple as bung it in the washing machine and no matter how much I soap up the cheek panels (the liner on the top is ok as it is identical to my other Shark helmet I ruined.

In that I soap them up with washing powder and grime just keeps coming out, you're not supposed to squeeze them or anything so how do you wash yours?

Thanks.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 11:58 - 18 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought baby shampoo in the bath was the typical method? Keep on going until clean.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 18 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bathtub full of hot water and lots of soap, keep washing until is clean. There is a pic on here somewhere of someone washing a simpson helmet and the water is proper brown Sick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 18 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm my current one has had a year and a half of daily use, 2 hours a day. Maybe I should wash it...

Tim..
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 18 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Remove liner parts from helmet

Arrow Put all the liner parts into a pillow case,

Arrow Tie a knot in said pillow case to keep it all contained.

Arrow Machine wash with Persil on delicate cycle.

Arrow Take out machine

Arrow Leave to dry thoroughly

Arrow Replace liner into helmet

Arrow Job done Thumbs Up

Done it many times
FURBAR This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nixon
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:48 - 19 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the liner, as in the polystyrene liner; or are you talking about the cushioned liner?

If its only the cushioned liners then don't worry about squeezing them they will be fine, its only soft upholstery foam at the end of the day.
What I do with mine is cover them in normal unscented hand soap then dunk them in water for a second or two and then let them absorb all the soap and water, then squeeze and rinse out until its all clean clear water coming out.

If they are backed by the polystyrene (like mine are) just be careful not to squeeze or compress these too hard, but they should be pretty resilient.

Then with the polystyrene shell i just get a clean sponge wring it out so its moist but not wet, add a load of normal hand soap onto it and lather up the inside, not pressing hard and not getting it wet just moist and soapy.

Then a couple wipes over with a damp (not wet) clean sponge to remove the lather until all the suds are gone and a quick wipe over with kitchen towel and its nice and clean.

If you can do it without getting the sponge too wet it only takes 10 min to dry

In the mean time, if the cheek pads have covers on them you can just throw them into the washing machine on a delicate setting.

Thats how I do mine, Hope its of some help Thumbs Up

Tonka
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 19 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inside bits of the helmet that come out get thrown in the washing machine with everything else on a quick wash at 40c wash. For the bits that are fabric and don't come out I use the disposable face wipes and give the fabric a rub until clean(er). I just put them in the airing cupboard to dry out over night.

The Duchini 'dirty bike' helmet gets washed much more frequently than the Shoei road bike helmet, as it gets dirtier being open. I reckon I wash it every other ride or so which makes it about twice a month. The Shoei has been completely cleaned about 4 times so that is more like once every 4 month's wear, but to be fair I always have clean hair when I wear it and the cheek pads get washed more frequently as they are pop out.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 5 years, 345 days between these two posts...
dspr This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 200 days between these two posts...
Bessjackson57... This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:52 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Re: Washing a bike helmet liner? Reply with quote

Bessjackson571 wrote:
Load of utter shit

You are a fucking helmet
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1