Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Late bus - probably my fault! ?100 fine! :-(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 11:37 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Late bus - probably my fault! £100 fine! :-( Reply with quote

I got a letter for a bus lane fine last night! Evil or Very Mad

£100 fine (£50 if I pay quickly). Evil or Very Mad

I was apparently caught on the A5 Edgeware Road in London. I phoned up last night to find out exactly where and the woman said to fax in my fine letter and she would send me the photo of me in the bus lane. i took a ride around last night and it is on a road that I take in the morning if I stay at my g/f's house.

So, be warned there is a permanent carmera on the bus lane on the A5 slip road north which leads you onto the North Circular (A406) and the M1 (I think).

I am f**king livid about this. This morning I had to sit in a queue of traffic behind a flat bed lorry, just because this camera is monitoring an empty bus lane! Evil or Very Mad

I got a nice glossy leaflet with the fine explaining exactly why I have to be fined:

Quote:
A £100 fine is nothing to smile about. And neither is 70 passengers stuck on a bus beacuse there are vans and cars in the bus lane.

What? No mention of motorbikes - don't we block up the bus lanes and stop the empty buses getting through. Confused

No we f**king don't!

Why the hell can't we go in bus lanes? They let us in on the A41. Surely (if you can cope with the rivers of bus dumped diesel), it is safer to have us in bus lanes rather than filtering!

They claim they fine bus lanes to keep bus traffic moving but fining motorbikes clearly shows they are just doing it to further screw us out of money. A friend told me she was fined because she pulled over to let a police car with blues and twos past. She appealed but was rejected. Maybe I should try and become a politician so I can get rid of shit like this.Idea

So, does anyone know of any clever loop holes I can use to avoid paying this or examples of cases where people have sucessfully appealed against it? I suppose I am going to have to pay as I was in it, but I will grudge every penny of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 12:48 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks! i thought we could use bus lanes! I cant see me holding up a bus, more likely the other way around!
Prob only two options for you, pay up, or take it to court.
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 13:15 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Major_Grooves Sad I always try to look out for bus lane cameras but i'm not sure what they look like Confused I also try to filter on the big white line dividing the bus lane and other lane however, this is a bit dodgy in bad weather.
Good luck with whatever course of action you take Very Happy

jay12329 wrote:
i thought we could use bus lanes!
J
Laughing I hope to god you don't live in London Exclamation

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's outrageous that your friend got fined for moving out the way of a cop car, it would of been a much worse penalty if she had not moved. Evil or Very Mad
Dean Stone #777
EMRA 2012 final standings, Formula 600s 3rd, Superstock 600s 3rd.
www.triplesevenracing.co.uk: www.ljmotorcyclerepairs.co.uk www.gettaylored.co.uk BN RaceScience, Now officially run out of money to carry on racing Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 13:36 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly all of the bus lanes in Bristol allow bikes. Smile

Unlucky though. Sad

Mr Lucky
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:48 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newcastle too.

That fine is really outrageous. How can a bike be a problem for congestion?

It would be a joke if it wasn't such an expensive fine...

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 14:00 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's one thing I despise it's injustice, accompanied by helplessness. When I hear about Bendy's traffic fines it makes me so angry.

It's amazing the stories you find once you experience something like this then do a little research on the web. People fined for pulling over for emergency vehicles, people who clip the bus lane at a junction when turning left, even a Ferrari that was so wide it strayed into the bus lane and got fined!

If it is the case that all these other cities allow bikes into the bus lanes then perhaps I feel a mini campaign coming on. Twisted Evil (After I've paid the fine of course - can't be arsed going to court and getting fined more Rolling Eyes ).

Kickstart@Work
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:12 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The bus lanes in Sheffield have breaks in them for people to turn left over them. These short sections are marked with a left turn arrow. Charlotte was using the bus lane in the car (when it was open to cars) and got pulled over as the copper claimed the left turn restriction still applied, so although she could drive down the bus lane she must pull onto the normal lane to go past the left turn bits.

Sheffield is a horrendous mess as the council seem to be trying very hard to totally screw up the traffic.

All the best

Keith

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 14:40 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a nasty thought - my "incident" happened on the 16th of September and I have only just received the fine. I use this road three or four times a week. I could have a dozen of these penalty notices waiting for me. Shocked Confused

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:07 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err mate, it wasn't you was it Wink

I mean, there must be hundreds of bikes like your's around london, and some crafty person must have copied your numberplate Wink Smile

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 15:14 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wont get away with that unfortunatley but he could have said his numberplate was stolen, he could have reported it to the police if he knew he was caught and would have probably got away with it but he didnt know he was caught so erm... that wouldnt have worked Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart@Work
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:19 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Re: Late bus - probably my fault! £100 fine! :-( Reply with quote

Quote:
A £100 fine is nothing to smile about. And neither is 70 passengers stuck on a bus beacuse there are vans and cars in the bus lane.

Condescending gits. Average number of passengers on a bus in London is (from memory) 12. Nationally it is under 9.

Suppose that's what you get when you give control of the roads to "Transport For London" who are heavily in the pocket of the bus industry. A bit like giving control of the abattoir industry to the Vegetarian Society.

All the best

Keith

Beezkneez
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:26 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

we live in a facist dictatorship country where democracy is voting for people who then tell you what to do Evil or Very Mad

i hate it here Evil or Very Mad don`t get me started about poll tax and the like...it boils my piss.

rant over..

sorry to hear about you fine thouhg...50 quid is a fekking joke

Bazza

Kickstart@Work
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:56 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:
Just had a nasty thought - my "incident" happened on the 16th of September and I have only just received the fine. I use this road three or four times a week. I could have a dozen of these penalty notices waiting for me. Shocked Confused

That was 16 days before the letter arrived. What is the post mark on it? Does the 14 day rule apply to fines from bus lane cameras as well as speed cameras?

All the best

Keith

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 18:14 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart@Work wrote:
Major_Grooves wrote:

That was 16 days before the letter arrived. What is the post mark on it? Does the 14 day rule apply to fines from bus lane cameras as well as speed cameras?

All the best

Keith

Good point Keith. I shall investigate this further...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:17 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Wont get away with that unfortunatley but he could have said his numberplate was stolen, he could have reported it to the police if he knew he was caught and would have probably got away with it but he didnt know he was caught so erm... that wouldnt have worked Smile

Isn't it meant to be that they have to prove you are guilty? If he borrows a different lid from someone, they get the photo, and the simple answer is "err, thats not me".

He would have no way of knowing that his plate had been copied unless he had seen the cloned bike, or something like this had happened.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 18:25 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste, your bike's your responsibility now. With the new rules it's not really possible "According to the law" to copy plates. He won't have reported it stolen either.

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 18:29 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy enough to get number plates copied without any documents. There are a few dodgey little place around my way that will do it no questions asked. You can also pick em up from most markets. I dont think they'll believe him that his plates been copied but if he had reported it stolen he would have got away with it. I know someone who got away with speeding when their city fly number plate was *cough*stolen*cough* Razz Laughing Cool Confused Shocked

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 18:36 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malplates will do 'show plates' without any documents. And yes, 'show plates' do come in road legal sizes.

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 18:44 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I would write to my MP immediately, tell them you are unsure as to who was riding the bike at that time and request a copy of the photographic evidence against you so that you are able to identify the rider. If you apply to the fixed penalty support unit they will likely send you a generic letter informing you that the evidence is insufficient to identify the rider.

At least if you can see the evidence you can decide if there are any mitigating circumstances that might have caused you to have had to swerve into the bus lane, to avoid a hazard, or some bull like that anyway.

At least by writing to your MP you will at the very least be raising their awareness of this procedure and also causing them/one of their aids hassle.

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 20:00 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the bus cameras take continous video footage (which you are allowed to watch), so it will be obvious I am just overtaking the traffic. I am getting the fine suspended for two weeks till I get the photo.

Maybe I can claim they sent it too late if what Keith says is true.

Danny

PostPosted: 20:58 - 03 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back from Chelsea Bridge today, I saw a guy on a custom type thing get flashed by a red light camera. However, it looked like he only went through on amber Confused
bonceunounce This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Danny

PostPosted: 10:42 - 04 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's possible, could you take a picture of the bus lane camera so we know what to look out for. Karma

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 20:57 - 05 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
If it's possible, could you take a picture of the bus lane camera so we know what to look out for. Karma

I'll try but I don't have a digital camera. Even then it wouldn't make much difference - next time you see a modern London bus have a look at the top right hand corner of the bus destination display - if there is a hole there then it is a bus mounted camera, which apparently is automatically turned on in bus lanes - helpfully explained to me by my "Why we are screwing you out of £100" glossy brochure. Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2