Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Front end transplant, Firestorm onto VFR750

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:46 - 01 Jun 2010    Post subject: Front end transplant, Firestorm onto VFR750 Reply with quote

Couple of reasons for this. Not least of which is that the forks on the VFR were pitted and fixed with araldite a couple of years ago. I usually reckon on this lasting 2 years and not to disappoint me, when I went out to do this job, it had shat all the oil from the right fork all over the yard.

I also find the VFR underbraked, especially when loaded. The Firestorm has 4 pot opposed callipers rather than the two pot, sliding ones on the VFR.

A lot of people say the firestorm forks are a bit wooden but compared to the tired, boingy, leaky efforts I have on now, it can only be an improvement. They also have adjustable damping.

You need the following parts off the firestorm:
1) Forks.
2) Wheel spindle and spacers (the firestorm one is longer)
3) Brake callipers.
4) Master cylinder (lever is the same so get one with a bent lever cheap off ebay Wink )
5) Mudguard.

All the other bits fit so you retain the handlebars, yokes and front wheel.

Fitting was totally uneventful. Unbolt the VFR parts, bolt on the firestorm parts and bleed the brakes.

One thing is that the firestorm forks are 10mm shorter. This will alter the geometry a fair bit. I'll need a longer road test to see if I can live with this (might even be an improvement?). If it's too twitchy, I can always go back up to a standard, 70 section front tyre which would go some way to raising the front end again. I've been running it on 60 section ones to speed up the handling.

The shorter reach means the standard brake lines are a bit more curved about. Not too much though.

Extra twiddly bits and a really tacky looking remote reservoir
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/DSCN0692.png
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/DSCN0688.png

Spindle is wider to accommodate clamps on both sides
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/DSCN0691.png

More brakes can only be a good thing. Note fork oil all over tyre.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/DSCN0689.png

I don't think the yellow goes very well with the rest of it though
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/DSCN0687.png

So, I was looking at £180 to get new fork stanchions and my brake callipers needed a total rebuild.

I've spent:
Forks with spindle and mudguard: £70
Callipers: £65
Master cylinder: £25
Brake pads: £21

I make that a win.

chillyman0
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:50 - 01 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice! you did make it sound easy, so easy its really tempting me and i've only had mine less than a month. I dont know yet where you are coming from with the poor brakes as i got mine with shitty old tyres that spin out and lock up really easily. Next week on with some roadsmarts, they had good reviews

nice post, well done! Karma

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:02 - 01 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

chillyman0 wrote:
I dont know yet where you are coming from with the poor brakes as i got mine with shitty old tyres that spin out and lock up really easily.

They're fine normally. It's when it's running heavy, 2-up with luggage that it takes a bit of effort to pull up in a hurry.

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 01 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
chillyman0 wrote:
I dont know yet where you are coming from with the poor brakes as i got mine with shitty old tyres that spin out and lock up really easily.

They're fine normally. It's when it's running heavy, 2-up with luggage that it takes a bit of effort to pull up in a hurry.

I agree with this. My old flatmate has the same year as yours and often complained of brake fade when making progress.

I found the same thing on my rf9 with my girlfriend on the back, or worse with any of my mates. It makes you think, when you work out you have a total weight of around 400kg on 6inch squares of tyre, on 4 pot budget brakes.

Pyro
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 01 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyroforlife wrote:
...a total weight of around 400kg...

How fat's your girlfriend?

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 01 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
pyroforlife wrote:
...a total weight of around 400kg...

How fat's your girlfriend?

I knew someone would say that, didn't realise it'd be scrawny little man who sits at home wanking over a tzr250 Wink

230kg bike
80kg me
55kg her

So thats 365kg, when going out on a full days riding(200+miles), I'll have a camera, food+ couple litres of water, 3/8 drive socket + spanner set, which is getting on for 400kg.

Pyro
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 14:58 - 03 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work.

Were all the used bits ebay jobs or elsewhere?
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:39 - 03 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
Nice work.

Were all the used bits ebay jobs or elsewhere?

Callipers and master cylinder off ebay. The rest off a mate (he'd bought the whole front end and had already had the callipers and yoke off it).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1