 alexdf990 L Plate Warrior
Joined: 29 Apr 2010 Karma :  
|
|
 N cee thirty Banned

Joined: 31 Jan 2010 Karma :     
|
|
 alexdf990 L Plate Warrior
Joined: 29 Apr 2010 Karma :  
|
|
 lonie Banned
Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :     
|
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 11:08 - 06 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Right; dozy old fart comment time!
First off, legal implications of de-restricting a 'ped.
A 'Moped' is DEFINED by law as a PTW with an engine displacement of less than 50cc and restricted to a top speed of 35mph.
De-Restrict it and it is no longer a moped.
You have to declare modifications to DVLA who will re-classify it as a motorcycle.
You have to declare modification to Insurance company.
Implications of all this is that if you are 16 you CANNOT legally ride the thing, becouse its no longer a moped, its a motorcycle.
Do it on the dodge, and dont tell any-one you have de-restricted it.... well, why bother? You might as well go get an R1 and ride THAT, becouse its JUST as against the law......
Risks? You get cought;
you are riding a motorcycle you dont have a licence to ride; points, before passing test = ban.
you have an insurance cert thats NOT for the bike you are riding; riding without insrance = more points + criminal conviction, POSSIBLE suit for insurance fraud. None of it 'nice' stuff.
& IF the reason you get cought is becouse of an accident, YOU will be liable for £ damages on top of any fines etc.
AND if ANY-ONE gets hurt or killed in accident.... well SERIOUSE fines & penalyies and in worst cases people get banged up for it.
So, having taken those nuggets on board...... and deemed me a SERIOUSELY boring old fart......
Carry on.... and ask yourself this....
If you struggle to get the casing to adjust the belt tension off the engine, something DESIGNED to be 'user-serviceable'......
Do you REALLY think you have the mechanical competance to be muggering about inside the engine and changing stuff from how it came from the shop?
How fast do you want to go, becouse theoretically ANYTHING is possible.....
But practically, most mopeds dicked with by 16 year olds dont go MUCH if any faster....
....or if they DO they dont do it for bery long before something pops inside them
....or they get crashed....
....and MANY dont even ever work again.......
Back when I was 16 and I was once.... we had this wonderful new invention top play with, it was called 'the wheel'....
We did pretty much the same sort of thing, and as I had been competing in School-boy trials for umpteen years and building comp-bikes, was always being asked to 'have a look' at some poor 'ped one of my mates had dicked up, and blown up!
I actually DID have the competence to build something a bit tweeked, and from a £5 'heap' abandoned on me becouse they couldn't fix it, and didn't have the money to fix it..... I decided to have some fun and see just what I COULD do with it....
Result was a Yam DT50 that COULD go about 70mph...... scary stuff and that was with 'big' wheels and a propper frame and suspension...... but it didn't do it for very long, before the primary seals popped! Got pretty good at swapping them!
But WHEN the thing got written off by some SMIDSY in a spit-fire at 20mph, I didn't have the hassle of face-less officials from an insurance company 'out-to-get-me'...
....I had a charming old gentleman, who was more like a country Doctor than an insurance man, look at my claim and quietly ask me 'IF I would like to persue it, becouse IF I did, the motorcycle would become the property of the insurance company and the FIRST thing they would do is open up the engine........" and then wait, pigniantly for a response........
They dont do things that way any-more, they just get shark-like solicitors on you.....
But, end of the day, your call kid.....
.....personally I say go-for it, becouse chances are you'll not get ANY more speed out the thing, you'll be lucky if you even keep it working.... but then I'm a boring old fart! |
|