Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GT200X5 Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fnatic
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 29 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics or it didn't happen Laughing

Interesting so far Thumbs Up Karma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 01 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little light weight flyer was the X5. My mate had one as a trainee bike mechanic back in the mid 90's. Never saw another one since though!

Good on you for going to the huge and difficult lengths of a full on resto to original spec and apperance. I havn't got the time, patience or dedication to restore a bike to exactly how it left the production line and with all the little details that make it look right. Also i'd hate to be spending money on parts knowing that a cheaper aftermarket part might not look as good, but is probably better made and works better etc.

Glad to see someone is also spending a fair old chunk of money on a smallish 200cc bike, to get it how they want it. I'm not weird any longer im just doing the same as everyone else! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the pictures Thumbs Up

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:36 - 02 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show & Tell

Sounds like a good project, hope you do it. Thumbs Up
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Endless Nameless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 03 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really looking forward to seeing this come together Mr. Green
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 187 days between these two posts...

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:51 - 08 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 years, 187 days - makes my GS project look positively swift Laughing

That's a really, really nice paint job on those panels. You going to get the casings re-painted to suit?
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:31 - 03 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOAR! I'm not waiting 3 years for the next update, either.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 03 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just know he's going to make you wait! Laughing
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 26 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i ask what kind of price you had to pay for that paintwork mate? The finish and quality looks superb thats for sure!

Most recent resto's i've read about have had anything up to £750 spent on paintwork which scares me to death! I need to just get someone to shoot some gloss black on my KMX200 tank and the side panels and headlamp cowl. I was hoping it would be cheaper to use a local car body repair shop, as i need to save as much cash as i can for the engine tune and new spannie etc.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Can i ask what kind of price you had to pay for that paintwork mate? The finish and quality looks superb thats for sure!

Most recent resto's i've read about have had anything up to £750 spent on paintwork which scares me to death! I need to just get someone to shoot some gloss black on my KMX200 tank and the side panels and headlamp cowl. I was hoping it would be cheaper to use a local car body repair shop, as i need to save as much cash as i can for the engine tune and new spannie etc.

You tend to get what you pay for with paint.

My place has done the odd bike (cars are our main business) but we find that bikers generally don't want to pay our prices; they don't seem to understand that, whilst the small(ish) panels mean less materials are used, the complex curves/nadgery bits, masking for multi colours/finishes and the fact that everything is on show, so it all has to be perfect, means that prepping involves a lot of time and effort.

Black is probably the worst colour to paint; it shows every mark and blemish, in the finish and the prep, so getting it right is time consuming.

At £395, Bluex5's paint job looks like a steal.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, i agree for that paintjob and graphics/air brushing etc £395 is a fair price.

Let me put it another way though. I would like to get my KMX tank, the 2 rad shrouds, head lamp surround, and side panels prepped and sprayed in solid black for about £150 max. Otherwise i'm going to have to try and have a go myself, but if i fuck it up i feel it will take away any enthusiasm i have for getting my restoration complete.

I was just going to buy aftermarket front and rear mudguards in black, and hope they are a good enough match to the rest of the paintwork, as black can't vary that much can it?

If getting a nice job done for a reasonable price would be hard with black, then id consider having everything done white instead?

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fair enough, i agree for that paintjob and graphics/air brushing etc £395 is a fair price.

Let me put it another way though. I would like to get my KMX tank, the 2 rad shrouds, head lamp surround, and side panels prepped and sprayed in solid black for about £150 max. Otherwise i'm going to have to try and have a go myself, but if i fuck it up i feel it will take away any enthusiasm i have for getting my restoration complete.

I was just going to buy aftermarket front and rear mudguards in black, and hope they are a good enough match to the rest of the paintwork, as black can't vary that much can it?

If getting a nice job done for a reasonable price would be hard with black, then id consider having everything done white instead?

From experience, you will spend close to £100 on materials if you do it yourself so there is no way your going to get the job done for £150. If you do all the prep yourself you may get someone to spray it for you for that much, but then the job is only going to be as good as the prep and there will be no come back if it looks bad as they will say it was poor preparation.

And black is like any other colour and can have huge variations (just look at the amount of shades they sell in Halfords) It's a real git of a colour to be honest!

*edit* Not to discourage you in anyway from the project mate, I say give it a go. Thats the way I learnt to spray bikes by getting stuck in. Takes a fair bit of patience (which I struggle with!) to get the job right but very rewarding when it all comes together and you are able to step back and say 'I did that'.
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

daverwheeler
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:33 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

There has always been a problem with peoples expectations of cost for painting.
The general public have no idea of the costs and labour involved a professional paintwork.
The materials for the above panels would eat up most of your £150 easily, without any labour costs.
Bodywork labour rates are artificially low anyway, way below mechanical costs, but the labour would also be over your £150.

You do get what you pay for, if you want a professional paint job, using 2 pack paints and laquers, with the correct plastisisers to stop it peeling on the flexible stuff, you'll have to pay.

This job looks very good and is cheap!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys!
So if was to be realistic then i'd have to around double my budget just to get everything prepped and sprayed in black? I don't have any particular exact shade im after, so i was hoping to get lucky the next time the bodyshop has a black car or bike to do a full re-spray on.

Also it seems that you guys are suggesting that if i go for aftermarket mudguards that it's pretty unlikely that they will match the paint fairly closely, so would i be better off buying white ones and getting them sprayed as well?

I was going to source the custom graphics myself and i didn't know say if im having the paintwork done in 2pack paint, would i be better just adding the graphics after the paintjob is done, or can they be applied and the the top coat sprayed on over them?

If i was expecting something with the detail and all the graphics and of the above X5 panels, then id happily pay £400 for such a job. I just had it in my head that a plain black paintjob without all the detail and extra work involved in doing the different colours, and graphics would not set me back quite as much?

Lastly i have sprayed a few things before, like engines and other cycle parts, and got reasonable finishes using rattle cans. I have just got a secondhand Tiger 8/44 compressor though, and so if i was to have a go myself would i be better getting the rest of the spray gear and use my compressor instead of cans? Is it easier or harder to learn to spray from a gun than a can?

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be tempted to home-spray 2 pack paint, unless you have all the equipment, or you particularly want to die.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 163 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6