BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Firestorm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 15:22 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i havent heard anything or talked to anybody about this but i think the way v-twins work is hard to compare to an in-line 4. And although they dont rev as high the way the engines are laid out means that they *are* stressed albeit at lower revs. On a twin there is also the matter of vibration which over time cause the engine to play up and you have to remember the connecting rod and everything linking the two cylinders together, the way twins pull from anywhere on the rev range puts quite a lot of stress on the internals of the engine. Bluegh i dont know if any of that made sense? Either way ive heard of people with 60k+ on their storms without any major problems, it all depends how you look after it. Look after a Honda and it will keep going and going in-line 4 or v-twin. Like someone said up ^^^^ you should just take the bike for a test ride, you might fall in love or you might hate it, its all down to the rider. Whatever you get R6 or Storm, it will be an improvment over what youre on at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 15:30 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonic69 wrote:
They are quick, though the handling's not the best, this can be sorted AFAIK. They won't be eating any R6's anywhere other than the drag-strip though.

A storm will absolutely demolish an R6 anywhere but the racetrack, there is so much more usable power that even in the twisties you can outpace them simply by using the superior grunt. Been there, done that, got the t shirt.

Demonic69 wrote:
I have a Fireblade, one of the most popular bikes on the planet

Is that how we're spelling common these days? Wink

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:42 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano wrote:
Maintenance jobs on the bike should be easier to perform yourself and the fact that it has only 2 cylinders means less money is needed to spent n parts.

And I'm surprised you haven't tried to convince Dodd to get a Daytone 6 Very Happy Wink

Laughing Think about that. The R6 has one cylinder block, one cylinder head, one head gasket, one pair of camshafts and one short camchain with one tensioner.

A Storm has 2 camchain tensioners with 1 long camchain, 2 cylinder blocks, 2 cylinder heads, 2 head gaskets 2 pairs of camshafts.
Need I go on? Very Happy
Pistons and con-rods very rarely fail. The above stuff does fail.

Deano, The reason I didn't try to convince Dodd to get a Daytona 6 is that I think the R6 is a good bike to go for (plus the fact that Dusty's R6 is for sale Wink)

Inline fours are under much less stress than twins (esp. big twins) Because in big twins you get a thing I believe is called piston shear or something where the large pistons rock backward and forward in the bores. This scores the cylinder liners. Fours are more reliable - so there. Why do you think the Japs use inline fours when Ducati use twins?
<<<studied mechanical engineering at university
Also I argued for the R6 cos dusty has got internet problems at the moment and can't argue for it himself!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 15:45 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, common cuz it's sooo bloody great Razz And I think I'm still waiting for the proof of Storm V R6. There's not THAT much more "Useable" power on a Storm compared to an R6 at high revs surely?

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Laughing Think about that. The R6 has one cylinder block, one cylinder head, one head gasket, one pair of camshafts and one short camchain with one tensioner.
A Storm has 2 camchain tensioners with 1 long camchain, 2 cylinder blocks, 2 cylinder heads, 2 head gaskets 2 pairs of camshafts.
Need I go on? Very Happy
Pistons and con-rods very rarely fail. The above stuff does fail.

Fair enough Embarassed I never knew this I was just assuming less cylinders equals less work. Oh well I learn something everyday.

MarJay wrote:

Deano, The reason I didn't try to convince Dodd to get a Daytona 6 is that I think the R6 is a good bike to go for (plus the fact that Dusty's R6 is for sale Wink)
Yeah, but it's British. Razz Wink
Dean Stone #777
EMRA 2012 final standings, Formula 600s 3rd, Superstock 600s 3rd.
www.triplesevenracing.co.uk: www.ljmotorcyclerepairs.co.uk www.gettaylored.co.uk BN RaceScience, Now officially run out of money to carry on racing Sad

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 15:58 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonic69 wrote:
And I think I'm still waiting for the proof of Storm V R6. There's not THAT much more "Useable" power on a Storm compared to an R6 at high revs surely?

Top end power is practically the same which is why the R6 would be the better bike on track, where you are constantly in the power band and knocking up and down gears like a bastard to keep it there. Wheras on real world roads the storm wins because you just twist the throttle and go, no matter what gear it's in.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 15:59 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the R6 would win on the corners easily so surely it'd be about even?

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 16:09 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd brake better and carry slightly more corner speed but on the twin you can get on the gas earlier and make headway coming out of the bends - not to mention on the straight bits.

Most country B roads it'd be pretty well matched. Slightly wider, faster twisties and the twin would start to pull away.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 16:10 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Very Happy Wonder how it'd fare against the Blade..... Wink

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 16:11 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organise a big enough rideout and you might just find out Wink

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 16:26 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Well i havent heard anything or talked to anybody about this but i think the way v-twins work is hard to compare to an in-line 4. And although they dont rev as high the way the engines are laid out means that they *are* stressed albeit at lower revs. On a twin there is also the matter of vibration which over time cause the engine to play up and you have to remember the connecting rod and everything linking the two cylinders together, the way twins pull from anywhere on the rev range puts quite a lot of stress on the internals of the engine. Bluegh i dont know if any of that made sense? Either way ive heard of people with 60k+ on their storms without any major problems, it all depends how you look after it. Look after a Honda and it will keep going and going in-line 4 or v-twin. Like someone said up ^^^^ you should just take the bike for a test ride, you might fall in love or you might hate it, its all down to the rider. Whatever you get R6 or Storm, it will be an improvment over what youre on at the moment.
Thats probably the most useful, non-biased post you've ever made Razz Laughing

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 16:28 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i think Twisted Evil

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:39 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano wrote:
dainesefreak wrote:
I don't think it's a matter of mechanics, I've never heard of any serious problems on the R6 even though it's a "Tuned" engine or any of the big jap four for that matter.

I was under the impression that Twins are the most reliable configuration. The R6 engine will be under more stress.

Cannot see why. They don't rev as high, but then they have a longer stroke so the mean piston speed is still about the same. A proper 90 degree V twin is very well balances, otherwise you need a balance shaft and / or run dual crank pins (at which point they are as wide as a parallel twin).

Loads of Japanese bikes have engine problems. Think the R6 has had a recall due to gearbox problems. Firestorm has cam chain problems (it is traditional for at least one Honda in production to have cam chain problems), Kawasaki have chokes designed to rev the nuts off the engine when cold and wear it out early. Suzuki build quality is often piss poor, etc.

Personally I say go and ride both and see how you feel. Personally for me the fuel tank range on a Firestorm would put me off for everyday use (it is marginally worse than the Bimota, and that is next to useless for everyday use for me). But then for everyday use I would prefer the torque of flexability of the Firestorm compared to the R6.

All the best

Keith

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:47 - 17 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the r6 vs Storm thing... IMHO again:

If you put a fast rider used to 4's on a 600 vs a fast twin rider on a 1000 then I reckon the 4 wouldn't be far behind at all... once you get used to using your gearbox ( Wink ) it's easy enough to stay in the power band and keep plenty of power down.
On the coming out of corners bit... on the track at least I often find it easier when I've got less power because you don't have to be so worried about the rear letting go.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:03 - 18 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I often find it easier when I've got less power because you don't have to be so worried about the rear letting go.

Amen to that, especially when the bike doesn't have suspension to cope with massive dollops of torque.

<<I suppose I'm a bit of a hypocrite with my 74ftlb Daytona, but the torque and power is a smooth linear delivery, whereas V twin's tourque tends to be all low/midrange kick. IMHO. Smile

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 02:08 - 18 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
on the track at least I often find it easier when I've got less power because you don't have to be so worried about the rear letting go.

But the power pulses on a big twin mean it's harder to slide the rear, the only thing you have to be careful of is knocking it down a gear and suddenly finding the back tyre alongside you. (again - been there, done that, got the brown pants Embarassed)

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:50 - 18 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

admittedly the only twin's I've tried to push at all are small ish cc 2 strokes... but the general feel I've got is that you still have to be pretty careful.... On a 600 if the revs are relatively low you can still get on the power a lot earlier IMO... compared to a 1000 (twin or four, or even triple I presume Razz )... just because you don't have to be worried about that initial 'kick'.
If I get it right I find that I can crack the throttle open at a certain point and as the engine spins up I sit up and the power increases at as reasonably near to perfect (in relation to my lean angle) as /I/ can get it Smile. This is as opposed to just continuing to roll it on from the turn, but a bit faster.
At the hairpin at Lydden I was definitely getting to the point where I could crack the throttle at just the right point and get maximum power down (worked that out because a few times I did it a tad earlier and had the rear sliding Embarassed), while I would have been more worried on a bigger bike about and would have had to keep rolling the throttle on at the right speed.

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 24 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Storm Smile

It's a beast. The acceleration is crazy, and it needs hardly any revs to pull away and is trying to wheelie even when you twist the throttle from 2k rpm. The sound is amazing, I love blipping the throttle on down changes.

One very happy bunny Smile

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 18:02 - 24 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there ever any doubt Dodd? Jumping onto a storm after a GS is always gonna be fun. Very Happy
Congrats.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 18:03 - 24 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now get some pics up!!

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 20:20 - 24 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us some details on the beast Dodd.

Thats quite depressing actually,

Seeing you go from a sym huskey 125 - GN250 - GS500 - and now a storm

in the past year i have known you, is quite a scary thought, as i'm still on the old NSR Very Happy

man i am slacking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3