|
|
| Author |
Message |
| rac3r |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rac3r World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:35 - 26 Jun 2010 Post subject: Rear Pads |
 |
|
My rear pads are just about shot on the Monster and whatever was in there was absolutely crap!
Any advice on a replacement? I know it's only the rears so I don't want anything too 'good' that will keep locking up all the time. Also a link to where I can get them would be good  ____________________ Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rob W |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rob W World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Nov 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rac3r |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rac3r World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:39 - 26 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Err...
Goldfren Carbon Cermic £12.99
Brembo rears £20
 ____________________ Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| LeeR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 LeeR World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:52 - 26 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've put some Kyoto organic pads from Wemoto on my DL1000 (sintered are just too much for the suspension) and they're a lot better than the OEM Nissin pads, dunno how they'd behave on a Monster but for £10/pair it might just be worth a try. ____________________ My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rac3r |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rac3r World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:57 - 26 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
What I want to know is are the Brembo pads so good they cost double or is it just the badge as usual? ____________________ Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Marmalade |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Marmalade World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Apr 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 11:17 - 26 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Go with the goldfren HH, last ok and stop good, i use them on Pan euro and zzr6
If they work too well and keep locking up, you could try some WD40 on the discs or maybe a riding school ____________________ Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| KLR600 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 KLR600 World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:47 - 26 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I used to be a Goldfren endorsee but the last set of rear pads I bought had both the braking surfaces fall off the metal bit of the pad Won't be going there again. ____________________ Now: '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100R - Past: '84 Yamaha DT125, '89 Kawasaki KLR600, '97 Yamaha XJ600N
<My Bikepics Page> <My Yootoobes> <My Websites> <My Photos>
<Take Cool Photos!> |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dazbo666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dazbo666 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 09:10 - 27 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I used Kyoto pads on the GPZ in the past, and I'd highly recommend them. Seemed to be just as good as the EBC / OEM pads that they replaced, and about 60% of the price.
On the other end of the scale, I recently used some cheapo Armstrong pads on the Bandit, and managed to wear the front pads almost down to the metal in <2 months ____________________ 1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rac3r |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rac3r World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rob W |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rob W World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Nov 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rac3r |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rac3r World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:18 - 27 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Quick question: Do you guys remove the calliper when changing pads? My haynes manual says to do it without removing ____________________ Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rob W |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rob W World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Nov 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| rac3r |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 rac3r World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:41 - 27 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
I can see it being a bit fiddly without taking them off
If I take them off I'll probably clean them too. When putting them back on do they HAVE to be the exact torque settings or can I just do them tight. (I have no way of measuring the torque) ____________________ Bikes : 2006 CBR125R - 2004 Monster 620ie - 2004 ZX-6R B1H - 2005 Monster S2R 800 - 2011 Street Triple - 2009 Streetfighter 1098 - 2014 ZX-6R 636
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dazbo666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dazbo666 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:50 - 27 Jun 2010 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yes I take them off. Not sure how I'd do it without removing them TBH.
I keep the brake lines connected so that I don't have to re-bleed the system. And I'm just careful not to twist or stress the lines or connections etc unneccessarily while fiddling with the calipers and pads.
I changed the front pads on the Bandit just yesterday. Prob <20 minutes for both sides, including the time it took to find the right sized sockets etc
[EDIT: I don't use a torque wrench very often (and never used it on caliper bolts. I tend to tighten the bolts with a socket wrench until there's resistamce, then tighten maybe a further eighth of a turn.
Disclaimer : I don't claim that this is the proper, and certainly not the official technique, but it's worked for me for years, including the time that I worked at a commercial HGV garage.] ____________________ 1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rob W |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rob W World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Nov 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 16 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|