New Comer!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

CBRDUG
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:09 - 04 Mar 2011    Post subject: New Comer! Reply with quote

Hey All,
Recently done my CBT and bought a 2011 Honda CBR 125r which I will be picking up in a weeks time, Just looking at insurance now and the lowest I can find (Third Party, Fire & Theft) minimum is £850! CIA Bike insurance (Never heard of them) What insurers would you reccomend for young new riders? As I'm 19 i'm expecting it to be high anyway.

I look forward to posting more when I'm on the road! Cheers.

Ah yea, A little about me, My names Dug and I'm 19, Been into bikes for a while but now I'm in a situation where I can own one! Have a few friends with bikes and would be up for any meets/rideouts if that sort of thing takes place on this forum Smile

Benson_JV
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 04 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, £850?
Tried gocompare and what not?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 04 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you've already bought the CBR then we'll not set Teflon Mike on you with his helpful first bike page. Takes about 2 days to read but is worth every word and very helpful for the noob.

Insurance wise the only advice I can give is use a comparison site.

https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/

Thats a pretty comprehesive one but as you have bought a sports faired 125 you're going to get raped no matter what company you use.

Take some advice from old pinky here and invest in some crash bobbins. You can pick them up on Ebay. They'll lessen the damage somewhat if you should drop the bike as plastic replacement parts are expensive.

Good luck with life on 2 wheels and get your test passed ASAP. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CBRDUG
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:21 - 04 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried MoneySuperMarket compare which got me the £850, Bennetts gave me a quote for £5000! Will continue the hunt after work tomorrow so fingers crossed ey.

CBRDUG
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:47 - 04 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PinkyFloyd, I did just start reading through it and picked up some tips Smile I was expecting around £600 anyway, my car insurance is £900 for a 1.1 punto!

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 05 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for fullly comp?

Only thing I can suggest is Third party fire + theft. Or third party only, but you won't want a brand new bike being nicked and not being insured!

Try https://www.motorcycledirect.co.uk/

Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 03:06 - 05 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urgh, really? A new CBR125?

If there's any way at all you can get out of that deal, I'd recommend that you do so. You're looking at, what, £4000 including insurance? Shocked

You could pick up a great commuter 125 for under £1000, insurance will be less, you can pass your A2 test on it for another £120 all in (theory, Mod1 and Mod2) and then get access to a much larger selection of bigger bikes which won't necessarily cost any more to insure, and won't plummet in value like your CBR - especially when you drop it.

Failing that, what security measures do you have on the bike? You may get a discount for certain chains and immobilisers although you'll be lucky to get your money back.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:15 - 05 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Since you've already bought the CBR then we'll not set Teflon Mike on you with his helpful first bike page.

Oi! I resemble that comment!
Hi New Commer, I'm an old colon, pleased to meet you!
Rogerborg wrote:
Urgh, really? A new CBR125?
If there's any way at all you can get out of that deal, I'd recommend that you do so. You're looking at, what, £4000 including insurance? Shocked

Well, its not the bike I'd reccomend, I'd have pointed him at a YBR, or if he was going to spend that kind of money the CBF.
CBR's a bit cramped, a little uninspiring, and a little more than a little over priced, BUT.... probably on a low or no interest finance deal, which can soften the 'hit' of finding SO much money upfront to get on the road, as a newbie, possibly with a load of kit and free training chucked into the deal.
I know when I was nineteen thats exactly what I did, because I could just about scrape together the pennies for the deposit on my AR125, where I couldn't afford a clapped out fixer upper....
And its brand new, so it will be A1 condition, and not the usual learner tat, thats had umpety learner nupties getting to grips with clutch control and practicing e stops, forgetting to check the oil or tension the chain, waiting until they hear metal scraping on metal to ask when brake pads should be replaced, that kind of thing.
So really GOOD basis for starting out on, because it shouldn't do anything it shouldn't meaning anything goes wrong... down to the rider!
Its also a reputable brand, with a warranty. Should be reliable. Shouldn't cause any grief. Should be easy to live with, and easy to flog on when he's done with it.
CBF might have been a slightly better learner platform, which would suffer a bit less depreciation, and sell a little more easily, with most the other virtues, BUT..... when you are looking down the barrel at a finance deal, and looking at how much your committing to spend, that 'little extra' isn't such a big deal, so why not indulge yourself... might be the only brand spanking zero miles vehicle he'll ever have, or is at least likely to own for quite a few years, so why stint yourself and get something that has that bit of sparkle?
And, ACTUALLY, the economics aren't that disastrous.
Depreciation over eighteen months might be more than your chinky thing cost you.... but err.... his bike WILL do 70mph out the box, and not break down of fall to pieces doing it Laughing
And its only the same depreciation you had on your chinky thing, isn't it?
So swings and roundabouts, its no bigger a mistake than the lads that buy old RS's or Mito's that then blow up on them, loosing mega money while not being great learner tools. Or the kids that go buy a Chinese XR copy, ride it on the dirt three times get a snapped frame, and a bike that dont work, and cant be sold.
What he's done is expensive, but not THAT expensive, and he should get reasonable value for money out of it.
And if its an 'all in' finance deal, TBH, probably a very good way to go, rather than trying to scratch it, muggering about with unreliable old wrecks, sucking the dosh in repairs and maintenence, or a Chinky bike, lacking the finish, style or performance, and costing in laughable resale.
The cheap way to do it, IS of course to get a new second hand YBR for around £12, £15 hundred, get test done on it, quick time, and sell it on for what you paid for it, but you have to be ritch enough to find those kind of savings!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:20 - 05 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that YBRs are "Chinky" bikes, right? Razz

Anyway, I don't recall recommending to this chap go down the Chinese-branded route. I always planned to keep mine for a couple of years rather than rushing through a test. That amortises the depreciation, and I concede that paying a premium it (£720 OTR on noes!) wasn't an entirely rational decision.

But I figure that if you're getting a CBR125 then you probably want something bigger and faster, and you'll be off it as soon as you can. If he rushes through his test then trades up at the end of the summer, he'll be eating the first big hit of depreciation as it rolls out of the showroom and under a Range Rover. Whatever finance deal he's on is unlikely to leave him in a good state if he gets out of it early.

Well, what's done is done. There's not a lot you can do about insurance other than secure the bike, try and find a low mileage policy, or move to a nicer area.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:39 - 05 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You know that YBRs are "Chinky" bikes, right? Razz

Well, lets look at it like this; I could go for Dim Sung at a rather nice restaurant in Vancouver's China Town, I could order a takeaway from the 'Win Wo House' at the bottom of my road, or I could have a 9p unbranded Pot Noodle.....
You could claim ANY of them to be 'Chinese Cuisine'.....
But, I'd only describe ONE of them as 'Having a Chinky'.....
Applying the comparison to motorcycles..... I think I'm being a bit generous, to many of the more 'Pot Noodle' like ones......
Leap from a Lifan to Regal AJS is probably as large as from the Regal to a 'Real' Honda.....
Like the meal, the ingredients probably all come from the same places.... but the meal at the end of it is entirely different!

CBRDUG
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:43 - 05 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew what a read lol

https://a-new-motorcycle.blogspot.com/2010/12/2011-honda-cbr125-r.html Is this the CBR 125 you were thinking of? I'm 6ft 3 and I do not fit right on a YBR, Felt much more comfortable on the CBR and prefered the look, I realise this isn't the most.....Financially easy route but this is my first "Large" purchase. With the finance I did check that I will not get any penalties if I choose to pay it off early (Which I will try to do) and will read over the terms and conditions of course. Just used MCN compare and got it down to £830! woo /Sarcasm

In work 7 till 7 until tuesday unfortunatly so can't ring up the companies until wednesday seeing if I can get them down a teeny bit more!

Shreddie
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 03:01 - 06 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're 6'3", seriously consider a Varadero... It's not a sporty looking machine like the CBR but it is big for a 125. Great for those who are a bit taller. Very nice to ride for a 125 too.

Gerrard
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:00 - 06 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and biking.. insurance is a nightmare hope you get it sorted. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CBRDUG
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:48 - 07 Mar 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did like the look of the Varadero, But it was £3500 in the dealer used I'm sure, Picking the bike up friday as I need to get a Bank Statement and my bank can only bloody post me one, After suggesting I switch to online statements which I couldn't print off! The insurance quote I got was the totally price after paying monthly with 25% interest! So I'll give them a ring to see how much it is all up front and hopefully it's good news Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1