Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Battery Exploded

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Battery Exploded Reply with quote

Shocked

As the title says guys, Bike hasn't be fired up for 2 weeks so when i got home yesterday i tried to fire her up and after a while ran the battery dead. Put it on charge overnight and when i came to it this morning it was still charing but i attempted to fire her up again. She ran for about 0.5 seconds and then when i pressed the electric start again the battery blew a hole through both sides leaving abit of a mess. When i removed the battery i saw that all the destilled water inside the battery had frozen and wasn't sure if this was the cause of the problem? Any help/Advice would be appreciated.

Bike is a 1999 ZX6R
EMRA Roadstock #92 - Paperwork Permitted.
Previous: 1992 DT125R
Current: ~ 2005 ZX6R C1H
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:08 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice:

It's not distilled water, it's strong sulphuric acid. Wash it off everything it got on with lots of fresh water right now if not sooner. It will dissolve your bike, clothes, skin, eyes and garage floor. Especially alloy bits. Wear rubber gloves and goggles.

Frozen battery could potentially have cracked the casing already? Could also have blocked the breather hose on the battery causing any gas top pressurise it.

I'm serious about washing off any acid spills. Do it right now using LOTS of water to dilute the stuff. Worry about ice later. Be careful where you put the battery (in a plastic bucket?) so the stuff doesn't get on anyone/thing else.

EDIT: Having posted that. Before you try it with a new battery, check all the cabling running from the battery to the starter solenoid and from there to the starter motor. As rob yarrr correctly states, one thing that could cause it is a dead short of the battery. Realistically, this could only be caused by the battery positive touching the frame or by one of the big thick leads to the solenoid or starter motor having shorted out to the frame. All the other wiring that comes after the solenoid is protected by a 30A fuse which should have blown well before battery-exploding currents are experienced.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 01:12 - 23 Dec 2010; edited 1 time in total

Shaane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:09 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Cheers mate, I'm pretty sure they didn't short. Connected both terminals like i should have then as i walked awa 3-4 seconds later it popped. Clips might of slipped or something i suppose?

Stinkwheel - Okay mate, managed to clean most of the mess at the time but couldn't get into a really small gap so pushed a cloth in as much as i could. Battery has been put into a plastic container and sealed off so that my Cat/Dog doesn't get to curious and start sniffing.
EMRA Roadstock #92 - Paperwork Permitted.
Previous: 1992 DT125R
Current: ~ 2005 ZX6R C1H
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:24 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the battery splitting due to the acid freezing. The same thing happened to my mate. It had cracked then exploded when he tried to start it.

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:38 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm this is scary because I noticed that the distilled water I have in the garage for topping up the battery had frozen. Didn't even think to look at the battery itself. Shocked

I would assume the gel acid batteries don't suffer the same fate?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries won't freeze unless discharged (unless it's -40 or something)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

depense on the degree of charge range between minus 6 until minus 15 (celcius) but if you try charging a frozen battery it will explode Tut Tut

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaane wrote:
Stinkwheel - Okay mate, managed to clean most of the mess at the time but couldn't get into a really small gap so pushed a cloth in as much as i could.

Just spray water into the gap.

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 23 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some baking soda put on it. It will neutralize the acid. Once you are sure it's all ok just wash the baking soda off.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 120 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1